PDA

View Full Version : win choke-1300 defender ?

nekshot
02-27-2015, 12:07 PM
we have this long overdue project that must get done. I always thought I would buy a winchoke sleeve and turn barrel down and solder on. But I am having trouble trying to figure out which sleeve from midway or any sleeve period. I don't think I can rent a reamer(at least I have not found any). Can any one give me some advice, I will gladly send it out if I can afford it.132226

seagiant
02-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Hi,
Saw this! http://dougsgunsmithshop.com

Has prices on barrel work. No personal experience!
(http://dougsgunsmithshop.com)

SOFMatchstaff
02-27-2015, 01:07 PM
I am not clear on what you are wanting to end up with, just a barrel with screw in chokes, or is that a barrel extension of some kind? The dimensions shown are more than enough to do either a winchoke or remchoke installation. The .812 major will leave a .025+- wall thickness at the threads(.812x32). I prefer the Remchoke as they are a tad longer than the winchoke tubes

I installed screw in chokes in my 20" M97 Winchester and have no issues at all with the strength using buck shot through a mod choke constriction(.700) and even tighter with number 4 buck.

I have handled some of the sleeve installations and noticed the the alignment on some of them was iffy, same thing with some of the old Cutts type units. you really want it to shoot where you look when its done.....

nekshot
02-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up, He seems to know what he is doing.

My desire is to be able to use this shotgun for slugs or exchange choke for turkey. I want to stay with winchoke to keep it alike in name. I figured getting the sleeve on straight would be most important. I cannot decide which sleeve midway has would be right for my application and I know I can't ask them.

SOFMatchstaff
02-27-2015, 02:11 PM
OK, you are planing to use some heavy stuff, That would really tip me in the direction of the Remchoke, and the longer bearing surface. you might want to look at whats available in the choke tube applications ie; tight extended turkey, and rifled for the slug use(Cation manf.) Carson and Colonial have extended in winchoke and are good . As to machining the barrel, thats not usually costly or difficult.

As for the name, you cant tell on the internals and the external chokes I havent seen a Win manufactured tube listed for awhile. the turckle wont know da difference.....

nekshot
02-27-2015, 10:09 PM
OK, you are planing to use some heavy stuff, That would really tip me in the direction of the Remchoke, and the longer bearing surface. you might want to look at whats available in the choke tube applications ie; tight extended turkey, and rifled for the slug use(Cation manf.) Carson and Colonial have extended in winchoke and are good . As to machining the barrel, thats not usually costly or difficult

As for the name, you cant tell on the internals and the external chokes I havent seen a Win manufactured tube listed for awhile. the turckle wont know da difference.....

Thanks for your input, it answers some of my questions and I have the winchoke chokes so I will stay with them I guess. I rarely shoot this gun so hopefully they hang on.