PDA

View Full Version : Lube bleed in Star

Harles Dawson
02-26-2015, 07:24 PM
This may be old news to a lot of you Star users. I was having bullet lube, bleed, out the top, around the sizer die, while sizing and lubing. My lubrisizer is not new, so maybe a bit worn. Magma advised an O ring search at local hardware store. I decided to try Teflon plumbers tape. I used 3 wraps around the top of the die under the rim because it seemed about right.
I had been needing to clean lube from top of sizer die at 10 or less bullets lubed.
Now I clean lube off about every 100 or so bullets from the die top. Hope this helps someone. Harles

rockitrob
02-28-2015, 05:21 PM
The older star sizer had a set screw that worked pretty good. I have a new one myself that does not have the set screw and was looking at this to maybe put one in. Would require to drill and tap near the top edge of the sleeve where the die goes in but might be able to push the die down hard and lock it in place with the set screw. Sometimes when I draw back out the die comes with it when it is not really hot or lead builds up inside the die . Are you running the heater plate or using grease?

Harles Dawson
03-05-2015, 12:10 AM
Sorry I didn't check the thread any sooner. I've been using a slightly hard lube, which requires a heater. Harles

bhn22
03-05-2015, 12:17 AM
Hmmm. Mine doesn't have any o-rings under the die. I do use LBT Soft Blue which I use with a heater when its cold out like now. Mines not leaking yet, but lets not give it any ideas.

rockitrob
03-05-2015, 04:46 PM
I tried the O-rings but when you push down there is that give then a push back. My punch tended to stick in the die and which caused the die to extract more often.

Springfield
03-05-2015, 05:40 PM
If your punch is sticking in the die then it is way to large. Punches should never contact the insides of the die as it will eventually cause damage to the surface of the die.

Harles Dawson
03-05-2015, 06:04 PM
I use a .30 caliber punch for all the bullets I make, unless seating gas checks, on larger calibers.
Works great. Harles

starreloader
03-05-2015, 11:46 PM
I have 4 of those old Stars and don't use the side screw to lock the die down.. The screw does work well for a relief when you get an air lock.. Have never had a die pull out, and as far as leaks around the top there is little to none at all on any of the my sizers... Run my lube at 120 degrees and usually 50 psi of air... As for a punch sticking in the die Springfield has it right, your punch is to big for your size die.. Get a 30 cal and a 38 cal flat base punch and you will end you sticking punch problems.

bhn22
03-06-2015, 12:49 AM
I use a .30 caliber punch for all the bullets I make, unless seating gas checks, on larger calibers.
Works great. Harles

I have 3 or 4 different sizes because you need a pretty close fit to make certain gas checks don't get crooked. One thing that disappointed me about my Star is that if I use a larger than normal punch, I can see how far off my ram is from being centered in the die. For the price I paid, I found that really annoying.