PDA

View Full Version : D reamer

just bill
02-26-2015, 04:11 PM
Been checking the archives about making a D reamer for 45 acp truncated cone boolit. I've seen a couple ways for rifle ogive dies, and the only one that looks like I'll be able to make is the reformed carbide glass cuter. I've seen the cutter before and after pictures, however not much about the type. Are we talking about wally world B&D or MSC, Granger, Mcmaster Carr or some other type?

Second is there a design criteria for truncated projectiles or just best guess till something works.

Bill

Cane_man
02-26-2015, 04:52 PM
technically its called an elliptical profile with a meplat... but if you just eyeball it and give it a 0.20-0.25" meplat it should work just fine... If you search the corbin site its in there with all the details (if you don't mind wandering around that rat's maze of a website, lol)

just bill
02-26-2015, 05:08 PM
Thanks,

What do you use to eye ball the cutting edge, grinder or file. I think it would be a daunting task to form and smooth and sharpen a cutting edge on carbide.

Then there is the correct die material. I have some ch4d blank dies.

Bill

Cane_man
02-27-2015, 05:21 PM
never done that as all the reamers I have made have been out of O1

DougGuy
02-27-2015, 05:42 PM
Nm.....

jimbull34
03-04-2015, 04:02 PM
I answered a guy from Canada yesterday about doing this. I have done a glass cutter by grinding down on a green wheel. Takes time and a good eye. I think a better way to do it is with a drill bit. 11.5MM is just over .45 and works just fine. You can grind the ogive you want on it, use cutting fluid and go slow to cut your point forming die. I also step drill it out first so that there is not so much material for the bit to remove. I have made perfect 0 ogive bullets this way as well as truncated ones. What ever floats your boat.