PDA

View Full Version : 45-45-10 Question

JohnH
02-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Does one need to give boolits used in rifles 2 coats of this? I'm using it in a 44 Magnum, but am only pushing the boolits about 950 FPS. One coat does fine for this. I'm gonna try sone in 308 and was just wondering if I need to do a second coat.

runfiverun
02-26-2015, 03:43 PM
you just need something between the lead and steel.
quite often my second coat is about 90% mineral spirits.

bangerjim
02-26-2015, 04:58 PM
Back a couple years ago when I was still doing 45/45/10, I used one coat for everthing. It only takes a very thin layer to add protection on the top of the grease grooves. Worked well but was too messy for my needs. Now I PC everything.

banger

bedbugbilly
02-26-2015, 07:42 PM
I'm weird - I don't use the 45-45-10 - I skip the mineral spirits. All I use is alox and paste wax. I TL with the paste wax in a tupperware bowl - lay 'em out to cool (I heat them up with a hair dryer) - then, once the paste wax is cool, I TL in alox - a very small amount. If I'm going to size them through a Lee push through sizer - I lightly coat 'em first with the paste wax - after sizing I TL in paste wax again and then the alox I set them out on wax paper over night and they are dry and non-sticky in the morning.

That said - I'm shooting a Handi-Rifle (357) and a GEW98 8mm Mauser - I don't push them hard and they seem to work very well in both rifles. The 357s are on the light side and the 8mm I'm using a 130ish grain FN boolit over 8 gr. of Red Dot - so they aren't going that fast. I'm getting great accuracy at 50 yards with the 8mm. I tried a double coating a while back but it didn't seem to make any difference other than making more work for me.

pls1911
03-02-2015, 09:56 PM
Like most points in casting, "it depends".....
Too many variables for a pat answer. Variables in lead hardness, size, fit-to-bore, powder/pressure of the load, etc, etc. .
Two coats won't hurt, but one coat may be enough.
I generally error on the side of too much in lieu of two little lube, but every bullet caster I know is eternally tweaking their practice. I even tried straight toilet bown wax ring once. (It's pretty soft at moderate temperatures, works fine for mild .38 special loads but smokes badly and is a bit of a mess...end of experiment)
How about powder coating , the applying gas checks and stick lube followed with a double dip of LLA??
Hmm, .. maybe overkill, you think? Probably wouldn't fit the bore anymore anyway. (Even I have limits).

Bottom line is try single and double dip of whatever concoction you want, and see if there's a difference in your gun, bullets and loads, then make adjustments where needed, then repeat the process.
Good luck. Keep posted.
Cheers