PDA

View Full Version : Best bullet puller ????

abunaitoo
03-03-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm asking about die type bullet pullers.
I've got a Foster die type puller. Not bad. Sometimes it takes more than one try to pull really stuck bullets. I do push then in first.
It looks like the Hornady one is the same as the Foster. It pushes down on the collet to grip the bullet.
The RCBS looks like it pulls up the collet to grip the bullet.
Has anyone tried a side by side comparison to see which of these is better??????
I use the hammer type for cast bullets. The fosters, when it works, is much faster.

robertbank
03-03-2008, 09:36 PM
I just bought the Hornady, seems to work ok in my Rockchuker Supreme. Just have to remember to pull up to make the ram go down....:mrgreen:

Suspect they all work just boils down to which one you end up with. I know I won't be buying another one anytime soon. I use it to pull bullets out of the cheap Czech ammo that doesn't go bang when the firing pin hits the primer. Throw powder and bullet into a mercury free primed case and I am good to go.

Take Care

Bob

John Boy
03-03-2008, 11:00 PM
+1 for the Hornaday
Worst -Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller

MarkK
03-04-2008, 12:31 AM
I'll cast my vote for the Hornady collet puller. Great item. Way better than the kinetic hammer pullers. MarkK

NVcurmudgeon
03-04-2008, 12:42 AM
I use the RCBS collet type puller with complete satisfaction on all cast or jacketed rifle bullets. It won't work on most pistol bullets, but my Snap-On dykes will.

When it comes to hammer pullers, remember that Murphy's Law has not yet been repealed.

hapi
03-04-2008, 01:41 AM
hornady works great

Guzziac
03-04-2008, 01:50 AM
I have both the inertia and RCBS pullers and both work well for differant things. mostly use the RCBS for jacketed and the inertia for cast.
This event though happened with my Ruger 77 in 7X57 last year. I had pulled some loads that were several years old useing the RCBS and later used the brass to test some loadings. I had fired several rounds of the test with no excessive preasure signs and then I had one that gave 200 fps. more vel. than the rest and kicked like a 7mm Mag. The bolt wouldn't open and was finally tapped open useing a nylon mallet. The brass came out without a neck and the primer pocket blown all to heck. I ran a rod with brush from the muzzle and no neck was found just then. After chambering several rounds I decided the chamber was clear. I took the rifle to my gunsmith and the headspace was OK, a testiment to the Ruger's strength.
Later I found the neck behind some stuff on my bench, it must have escaped my eyes when it came out. The neck appeared to be very crimped. Best I can tell the brass lenghened when the bullet was pulled. On several of these loads had to give the handle a sharp blow with my open hand in order to get the bullet to come loose. Apparently this piece lengthened while giving this much force and when chambered the long neck acted to hold the bullet tightly in place instead of letting go.
In the future I will set the jaws a little above the neck and press downward first to loosen the bullet before pulling. Also if I encounter one that gives excessive resistance I'll probably discard it. Words to the wise, always excersize more safety than you think you need. All it takes is one screw up to cause a lifetime of regret. :neutral:
Guzziac

dukers65
03-05-2008, 09:11 AM
i got the rcbs for jacketed, and a hammer type for cast.

Morgan Astorbilt
03-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Check the "Pulling Bullets" thread, I just bumped it to the top. Lots of info there.
Morgan

xtimberman
03-06-2008, 07:49 PM
It's like anything else we do - the more tools the better!

I am perplexed by some comments on other threads about the fragile nature of the hammer-type inertia tools. I have a Quinetics Corp. inertia puller that I bought at a San Antonio Gun Show in the early 1970s. I've pounded the heck outta it and have lent it to folks who've mistreated it, too - and it's still in service. It's green and looks sort of like a RCBS one, so I'm guessing they eventually bought the patent. ...a great product - JMO. :)

xtm

DLCTEX
03-06-2008, 09:23 PM
I have a Midway inertia tool that is at least 15yrs. old and has pulled many bullets, some of them military rounds. It still looks great and works like new. I pull all size of bullets using the small holders, just shove the cartridge in until the holders hit the extractor groove and tighten the nut well. I also have Forster and RCBS collet pullers but seldom use them. DALE

TAWILDCATT
03-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I use the Hornady levermatic.its better than the others.
a hint get a square steel bar width of neck and roll the case with it, it should streach the case slightly.
pistol cart:size the case to end of bullet(lead only)and then impact hammer.

--:coffee:------[smilie=1:----:Fire:

Calamity Jake
03-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Best bullet puller ???? `
`
`
`
`
`
``
`
`
`
`
`
`
``
`
`
`
`
``
`
`
``
THE TRIGGER!!!!!! NUFF SAID =========:bigsmyl2:=========SORRY COULDN'T RESIST

I have used the inertia type for over 25 years, never had a problem, but then i've been lucky enough not to have had to pull many eather.