PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 Grind to fit Limb Saver butt pad project

duckey
02-26-2015, 09:36 AM
I just posted up some pics in duckey's photo album with a quick blurb for each picture. Check it out and let me know what you all think. I may also try and add the pics here if I can figure out how. If they do appear here I will not add the comments in again, so please check out my album for helpful hints etc.

KCSO
02-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Can,t tell from the photo's but if you scribe your line around the pad and then dust it in with white chalk it makes it easier to grind to fit. Looks like you done good without though your eyes must be better than mine.

country gent
02-26-2015, 10:55 AM
At work when [polishing rubber rolls after grinding out wear we used chalk to help. It acted as a dry cutting lube keeping the sand paper from grabing and loading up. A little chalk on the grinder support helps to keep the fixture moving smooth and easy also.

duckey
02-26-2015, 01:28 PM
KCSO...I did use yellow chalk on the scribed line.
country gent...I like the chalk idea, will have to keep that in mind when I do another one, I do remember the sanding dic grabbing the rubber as it warmed up with friction.

Another tech tip is to buy a pad that will fit your gun without having to much to sand off. I bought a MED sized pad and had about 3/16" on each side and on the comb end, and about 3/8' on the TOE. A large pad would have worked to but I would have had twice as much sanding to do and it does make a mess. Each pad has a maximum amount of material you can sand off which is mentioned in the instructions with length and width given.

pietro
02-26-2015, 01:53 PM

It's a good idea to install a pad that's just barely oversize for the buttstock end, mostly on the toe, so that the bottom line of the buttstock can be extended srtaight through the full thickness of the pad's toe.

Also, many pads have a steel plate buried within the rubber, to help stiffen the pad - and if too big of a pad is used, it's very possible to grind the sides down enough to show the metal line in the sides of the pad. (Don't ask me how I found out ;) )

Geezer in NH
03-11-2015, 06:08 PM
I love the B-Square pad grinding fixture. Fast and controllable done right it is about a half hour job fit to perfect well worth the money if you will be doing pads.

fecmech
03-11-2015, 07:52 PM
I love the B-Square pad grinding fixture.

I bought one a few years ago to do a couple of my own pads. Paid for it a few times over doing pads for friends.

pertnear
03-12-2015, 12:08 PM
You are going to love the recoil reduction provided by the LS pad. I put one on my Rem 700 .270 Win. Just a warning though. I don't know if they changed their formulation or not but mine reacted with the padding in my gun safe. It marked both the safe & pad. A piece of card board under the butt fixed that issue.

Just FYI...

Smoke4320
03-12-2015, 04:14 PM
You are going to love the recoil reduction provided by the LS pad. I put one on my Rem 700 .270 Win. Just a warning though. I don't know if they changed their formulation or not but mine reacted with the padding in my gun safe. It marked both the safe & pad. A piece of card board under the butt fixed that issue.

Just FYI...

"It marked both the safe & pad."

seems to still be true ..at least for me ..
Put a limbsaver on a 45/70 and a week later it was stuck to the safe
I put a cardboard spacer in my safe as well

duckey
03-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Yes it does indeed soak up recoil. I can actually shoot the gun more than three times at the range. I'll see if my pad is reacting to the carpet line in my safe. It's been in there since December and I have not noticed any marks.

Clark
03-18-2015, 12:45 AM
I use the large grind to fit Limbsavers, but I don't grind them on magnum rifles.
I have a friend who is always making fun of me for this, but I want the extra area.
I have ground my share of recoil pads, and I would still do it for upland game shotguns.

BK7saum
03-18-2015, 01:15 AM

Just FYI...

Hey, folks...
I contacted limbsaver about an 870 pad and a grind to fit pad on a contender that had started to gum and get sticky. Rep told me that they had some bad batches of rubber. Replaced the 870 and installed a new grind to fit pad on my contender buttstock.

If you want it replaced give them a call.

Brad

W.R.Buchanan
03-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Clark: A way to increase the surface area of your pad is to set your grinder table at about +3 degrees so the edges of the pad flare out.

It works and doesn't look half bad.

Randy

largom
03-22-2015, 08:54 PM
Hey, folks...
I contacted limbsaver about an 870 pad and a grind to fit pad on a contender that had started to gum and get sticky. Rep told me that they had some bad batches of rubber. Replaced the 870 and installed a new grind to fit pad on my contender buttstock.

If you want it replaced give them a call.

Brad

Must have had a LARGE batch of bad compound. I had three Limb-savers get soft and sticky 3 years ago. They replaced them with no problems.

Larry

Geezer in NH
03-31-2015, 09:00 PM
The secret is set the pad up on the grinder jig and then drop into the bottom of you chest freezer for the night. Next morning grind it when frozen before it thaws.