PDA

View Full Version : must bb's ever be cleaned?

nekshot
02-25-2015, 11:14 PM
I was wondering if the bb's and plastic container should ever be cleaned? And is the powder ok to dump back into powder container? I am as low cost on this as it can be, all I bought was a container of HF red. I don't even use a temp gauge other than when the powder starts to melt I run the oven 10 minutes and drop in water. I also started using wooden blocks to set the noses in because I want my bases well covered. I have less than 8 dollars in this and am getting exellent results. Never had any powder come off in smash tests. This is slick and thanks to all the help extended to greenhorns or redhorns like me!
(this whole thing is way too easy, something must be wrong!)

cs86
02-26-2015, 02:39 PM
I guess I never have. I usually put the lid on the container and wait for the next session. If I didn't have a lid I'd wrap the top with alum foil until the next session. It isn't very humid here.

coffeeguy
02-27-2015, 03:56 PM
I'd just keep it in with the BB's, the only reason I can think of to clean them is if you wanted to use the same BB's with a different color and were concerned about the appearance.

If you're concerned about the bases, (although you'd have to spend a couple of bucks) get a roll of parchment paper, the kind used for baking. Coat your boolits, set them on the paper on top of your usual cookie sheet or whatever you use and the bases won't stick to the paper...they stay coated just fine. One piece of paper can be re-used several times, and a roll goes a long way...And I agree, the whole process is super-easy, especially if you're not concerned about a perfect finish...As long as there's some powdercoat covering the boolit, even a film so thin you can see the boolit underneath, that's more than enough!

borg
02-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Anyone doing the BB's for rifle and getting good accuracy?

nekshot
02-27-2015, 10:03 PM
the reason I asked if cleaning is needed, I felt like the boolits were not coating as well recently and I never changed the contents of the no.5 container but I just realised the humidity is higher recently and that might be the issue. Still happy with results.

Rifle accuracy. I don't get the tight 5 shots in a cloverleaf at 80 yards like I can with lube but the groubs stay the same size if I do my part and those fliers have disappeared. I still am getting 1 1\2 inch to 2inch groubs at the same distance and I believe I can shrink these down as I learn more but I would rather have a 1 1\2 inch groub that will stay that size than a 5\8 inch groub that you never know when a flier is gonna zip off. From my point of view I never plan to use lube again, that is how convinced I am of PCing and I am one of the least of the fellas using PC so I have alot to learn.

coffeeguy
02-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Ah, that makes more sense. Humidity is a wild card for sure...I've heard other folks on here say that from time to time they clean the #5 tub itself (I'd suggest just a rinse with water, then a damp paper towel then dry...NO SOAP!!!), and/or give it a good rub on carpet which helps with the charge.
Accuracy difference is understandable, because with PC you're changing the sectional density of the boolit and, therefore, the ballistic coefficient. That, and it's not exactly a uniform coating, you're annealing the boolits by baking them, the lands might be grabbing the PC differently than cast lead, blah, blah, blah...Shake the 'Magic 8 ball' and it's anyone's guess. I shoot PC mostly with pistol and do well with it (3- to 6-inch groups at 25 yards, shooting offhand, no better than J-word boolits),but my use of PC in rifle has been limited to plinking and velocity tests so far. Maybe try working up the load again for PC boolits? The cool thing is that this wheel is still being invented and refined, and it's great when guys like yourself share actual data that can be used for comparison!

popper
02-28-2015, 12:15 PM
I dumped mine in a strainer & washed with water, put them back in the jug when dry for the GKs to use. Done with ASBBs. I'll ESPC for HV rifle & HiTek for slower. I like easy.

BNE
02-28-2015, 12:43 PM
I live in the humid South. I was wondering if humidity would create a problem in the container. I am planning on putting a desicant bag into the container when not using it.

popper
02-28-2015, 06:32 PM
BNE tried that didn't work.