PDA

View Full Version : 45LC load for pistols and levergun

ZigZagMarquis
02-25-2015, 11:03 PM
I am looking to work-up a 45LC load for CAS that will work in both pistols and a levergun.

I figure this is a wheel that doesn't need reinventing.

I have a Uberti, a Ruger New Vaquero and a Winchester 94 all in 45LC.

I have both Oregon Trail 250grn Laser Cast RNFP and Bear Creek 205grn RNFP boolits on hand, but may consolidate down to just the Bear Creek 205s when I run through all the Laser Casts.

I am thinking either Trail Boss or Unique for powder, but am open to other suggestions.

Discuss...

DougGuy
02-25-2015, 11:21 PM
What you are asking for is printed in umpteen load manuals, std. pressure .45 Colt load data is abundant. I doubt there is a loading book or manual or chart anywhere that doesn't have this caliber listed with various powders. Pick one and assemble it, see how well it shoots. Pick another assemble it and see how that one does..

ZigZagMarquis
02-26-2015, 12:08 AM
What you are asking for is printed in umpteen load manuals, std. pressure .45 Colt load data is abundant. I doubt there is a loading book or manual or chart anywhere that doesn't have this caliber listed with various powders. Pick one and assemble it, see how well it shoots. Pick another assemble it and see how that one does..

Well, yes and no.

Looked through the Lyman book I have on hand and found both pistol and rifle data for 200grn bullets for Unique, Red Dot and Trail Boss.

Looked through several more books I have on hand and found pistol data for 250grn bullets for Unique and Trail Boss, but nothing for rifle data for Trail Boss and 250grn bullets.

Still other references I have on hand list data for 250grn LRNFP bullets for Trail Boss, but don't differentiate whether it's rifle or pistol data.

Still other references I have (Hodgdon) list data for 250grn Cast LRNFP bullets for pistols, but notta for rifle.

I don't want to stick a bullet in the rifle nor blow up a handgun.

Again, this is for CAS, so I reside myself to something in the cat sneeze range.

DougGuy
02-26-2015, 12:34 AM
To my knowledge there never has been any differentiation between pistol or rifle in this caliber. Any of the published loads for standard .45 Colt will work in either.

ReloaderFred
02-26-2015, 12:56 AM
I shoot .45 Colt in SASS matches all the time. My standard load is the 200 gr. RNFP bullet, for both revolver and Marlin 1894CB, over 6.0 grains of TrailBoss. You certainly won't stick a bullet with that load, and it's proven very accurate on both handguns and rifles. I can "whang" the 100 yard gong offhand with that load all day long, which isn't bad for a light load and light rifle. Not to mention old eyes.......

Hope this helps.

Fred

Groo
02-26-2015, 01:18 PM
Groo here
If you slow the boolet TOO much you COULD stick it in the rifle.
If you have a chrono, load a middle load for your boolet in Unique or trailboss and shoot it in the rifle [ which is very strong]
Reduce till you get where you want.
Try in the handgun.
Go shoot.
Just remember that the boolet for the rifle needs to feed , shooting the same in the revolver is easy.
I would not go below about 700 in the rifle though.

Gunslingerdoc
02-26-2015, 01:36 PM
Ive had GREAT luck using Lee's 200 gr mold in my rugers with Unique. Now that Im powder coating, I have a lot less smoke. they trick is going to be finding something that shoots well in both guns. You pistol is the limiting factor. once you find a load it likes hope and pray your rifle likes it. if so youre good to go.

bangerjim
02-26-2015, 02:20 PM
I cast, PC, load, and shoot ALL weights and designs of 45 boolits in all my revolvers and carbines.
Carbines up to and including 300gn. Fun, accurate boolits! Just went thru 100 of them yesterday. 4.3Gn Titegroup. Perfect round holes in targets at 40 yards. Groupings ~1.2" with red-dot 1X scope. Hardly any recoil. One guy thought I was shooting 22LR's

I do not differetiate at all between revolvers and carbines. I use TiteGroup for all of them. Normally 3.2 to 5gn depending on the slug weight. All are easy shooting, accurate and just plain fun to shoot. I have let others at the ranges pull of a few shots and they could not believe the lack of noise & recoil. And the accuracy they got.

Tons of load data everwhere. If you are married to TrailBoss ( I several bottles of it and really am not that impressed!) get load data from H's website.

I have Unique and do not use it any more because it is so dirty.

Another fav for low noise plinking is two 000 buck balls over 1.8gn TG.

Just watch the pressures listed in all the published load data charts for your revolvers.

45 (long) colts are fun!!!!!!! Much more so that 45 ACP's.

banger

lbaize3
02-26-2015, 03:39 PM
250 grain LRNFP boolit and 7.5 grains of Universal Clays. Shoots well in pistol and rifle.

hp246
02-26-2015, 04:11 PM
I use 5.5 gr. Trail Boss (when I can find it) or 7.1 gr Unique behind a 230 grn sw cast boolit. I have 2 New Vaqueros, a Uberti 73 and a Rossi 92. I use the same load in all four guns. For CAS, plenty of accuracy. The Uberti and Rossi are real particular about OAL.

hp246
02-26-2015, 04:13 PM
PS. I use the same 230 gr boolit for my .45 acp for Wild Bunch too.

bangerjim
02-26-2015, 04:53 PM
The above guys are correct.

It seems most revolver reloaders seem to target only the 200gn slug for all revolvers. But if you watch the pressure rating of your gun vs. the published powder load data, you can easily shoot 185, 200, 200, 230, and even 250. I do it all the time and never any problems. And they ALL shoot in my carbines perfectly!

Those pix we see around here every so often of some moron blowing up his gun and loosing a finger or two scare many away from heavier boolits. Pressure ratings are the key.

AND.....AND.......NO double charges!!!!!!!!! That is the only advantage I can see for TrailBoss. Big bulky donuts.

banger

doc1876
02-27-2015, 12:33 AM
I saw where the op stated he uses a '94. I thought CAS had a "92 cutoff, (???). I am bringing that up because I have several Colts, Ubertis, and Rugers, and they all like IMR4227, but I don't think I would use it in my toggle link Uberti Henry, but a '94 should be real good.
It loads, shoots and cleans up well. I am finding it very accurate in my .44s and .45s to the point, I will most likely use it exclusively.

wrench man
02-27-2015, 02:44 AM
My Uberti 1873 Colt likes Oregon Trail 200grn RNFP with 7.0grns of Trail Boss, that load is still to light to seal the chamber in my 1894 Marlin, for that I use their 250grn RNFP with 6.0grns of Trail Boss woks well in the rifle, I have shot the heavy load in the revolver but just one cylinder full to speculate the recoil.

ZigZagMarquis
02-27-2015, 12:33 PM
I saw where the op stated he uses a '94. I thought CAS had a "92 cutoff, (???). I am bringing that up because I have several Colts, Ubertis, and Rugers, and they all like IMR4227, but I don't think I would use it in my toggle link Uberti Henry, but a '94 should be real good.
It loads, shoots and cleans up well. I am finding it very accurate in my .44s and .45s to the point, I will most likely use it exclusively.

Yes, I'm using a 94. I've only been to a couple of the local matches so far. I imagine no one will complain... unless I start winning. :-P

hp246
02-28-2015, 12:57 PM
Yes, I'm using a 94. I've only been to a couple of the local matches so far. I imagine no one will complain... unless I start winning. :-P 94 would be OK as long as it is a pistol caliber. Here is the rule: "Rifles or carbines used in the main and team matches must be original or replicas of lever orslide action rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899,incorporating a tubular magazine and exposed hammer."

Calamity Jake
02-28-2015, 01:57 PM
I've shot CAS for over 22 years, all in 45C with the Saeco 955 a 260 rnfp pushed with 4.5 of Red Dot.

bigted
02-28-2015, 02:15 PM
only caution I would mention is based on my and others Winchesters chambers. mine will take a .457 diameter boolit for reloads and with any smaller the cases as sized in RCBS dies ... the cases take a lot of sizing and thusely don't last but a few reloads.

as mentioned above. just load from the revolver area and shoot em in both your weapons and see which does the best.

only problem I got into with my 1892 was to load some .457 diameter 405 grain boolits over 9 grains unique and the first on stuck in the chamber and locked up the action. I will stick with the liter boolits as is required of the 45 Colt rounds from now on.

good luck with your endeavor.

ZigZagMarquis
02-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Thanks all.

I am currently running 45LC 250grn Oregon Trail Laser cast bullets over 7.8grns of Unique through the Winchester and 45LC 205grn Bear Creek molly coated bullets over 5.6grns of Trail Boss in the Ruger and Uberti.

For now, I'll stick with that. Makes for a little more time at the loading table making sure the right reloads go in the right firearm, but I don't think the two wouldn't be interchangeable?

Calamity Jake
02-28-2015, 05:22 PM
Shoot the 205's thru the winchester, you won't be disappointed.

ejcrist
03-01-2015, 10:14 PM

I'm with you there doc. 4227 has been real good to me in 45 Colt revolver. I've only been using it for heavy loads using 45-270-SAA but it's been incredibly accurate and easy to clean up. I like it a lot.