PDA

View Full Version : Question on RCBS die marked "CARBO" - can you educate me?

bedbugbilly
02-25-2015, 10:13 PM
O.K. This is probably a "dumb" question but I'm going to ask it anyway as I did a search on here and didn't fine an answer.

I'm getting set up to reload 45 Colt / Schofield. I've scrounged up used dies but in the process, picked up a RCBS F.L. sizing/de-capping die. On the top of the die it is marked - RCBS 45 Colt CARBO F.L. 79

So, I know the 79 is for D.O.B. of 1979. On "vintage" RCBS sets or individual dies, I often see "CARBO". (Although I don't really consider 1979 as "vintage" - at my age it seems like "yesterday"! LOL)

Question - Is the "CARBO" the same thing as what is called "CARBIDE" today? i.e. not necessary to lube casings when F.L. sizing?

Was CARBO just a "RCBS thing" or is there a difference between Carbo and Carbide? On several of my newer RCBS die sets, they are just marked "CARB".

Can you straighten me out on this? Thanks much!

Jim

VHoward
02-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Carbo probably stood for carbon steel. If that is what it really is, then you will need to lube the case before sizing. Even with carbide dies, lubing the case makes the sizing process easier.

BruceB
02-25-2015, 10:42 PM
The "carbo" marking indicates CARBIDE. A ring of carbide should be visible at the mouth of the sizer die.

My first RCBS dies were bought in '66-'67. and the carbide sizers were marked "carbo".

They were extremely expensive at that time, and the entry at the die mouth was very sharp, resulting in difficulty getting cases to enter smoothly.... they were forever hanging-up on the die mouth.

They were replaced many years later with Dillon dies, which have a smooth, tapered entry at the mouth.

Nueces
02-25-2015, 11:24 PM
Yes, Carbo is an abbreviation for Carboloy, an early name for a brand of sintered carbide.

bedbugbilly
02-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Thank you fellas - appreciate the info.

BruceB - I just got it so I need to clean it as it was well oiled and appears to be well taken care of - nice quality. On my other carbide sizing dies, I can easily make out the carbide insert - not on this one though but after a good cleaning and looking with a magnifier it will probably show. I have some new Starline 45 Colt brass and when I tried (by hand) to insert it in - it's a tight fit so I know the die isn't damaged. The one thing I do notice though is that the mouth of the die is just as you described your die - not a taper entry into it. I'm sure it will work fine though and I'll just be careful inserting the cases with the press.

Thanks again all for clearing up the "Carbo" marking - appreciate it!

Jim