PDA

View Full Version : Star Lubricator/Sizer

hivoltfl
03-03-2008, 06:21 PM
I have been in the archives reading about the Star sizer, very interesting read, got a few questions I did not see addressed, but first I gotta puff up a little bit, I was given a star lube/sizer today by a gun shop that has had it on the shelf for years, it was a return from a disgruntled user, basically its brand new, but does show some signs of a frustrated user, such as plier marks on some of the hex surfaces, a hammer blow or two where the die was removed, but its all in all in pretty good shape.

Questions:
are the dies and top punches available?
I dont think the giver was aware of the value of his gift, I looked on E-Bay and they bring a pretty good price, I would feel better about the deal if I paid something for it, what would be a fair price?

Rick

Springfield
03-03-2008, 07:20 PM
They are worthless, send it to me and I will dispose of it for you( right next to my other Stars!) You can buy everything for it from Magma Engineering. Good Deal!

lathesmith
03-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Yes, free is a heckuva deal, it don't get much better! New item price is in the $250 range now, and used ones can fetch 75% + of new item price. As Springfield stated, all dies, punches, parts, and accessories are available from Magma. Enjoy your new toy!
lathesmith

Murphy
03-03-2008, 07:31 PM
hivoltfl,

Another option is to box it up, I'll pay for the shipping and handling and even give ya' $50.00 for it.

You've seen the 'frustration' it can create for a user. Why go thru the pain and agony? I need one for spare parts just to keep mine running anyway...help a brother shooter out?

*Grin*

Murphy

hivoltfl
03-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Ok fellas, I like some frustration from time to time, I will keep it for awhile, :)

Marshal Kane
03-04-2008, 02:39 PM
. . . I dont think the giver was aware of the value of his gift, I looked on E-Bay and they bring a pretty good price, I would feel better about the deal if I paid something for it, what would be a fair price? Rick
I wouldn't want to insult the gun shop owner's generosity by offering to pay for the gift. Why not just buy all of your shooting supplies from the gentleman until you feel the gift has been repaid?

cbrick
03-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Wow, what a score that is.

All and any parts including dies can be had from Magma. For anyone not familiar with magma here is their web link. Right nice folks to do business with too. You don't need "top punches" with the Star, you need flat punches, one for each caliber, size nose first with the flat punch against the flat bullet base.

Magma Engineering, PO Box 161 · Queen Creek AZ 85242-0161 (http://www.magmaengr.com/)

Rick

Adam10mm
03-04-2008, 03:35 PM
I just got my Star sizer in yesterday. Got a stick of Lar's red in there heating up right now. I'm going to deflower it before class.

Pretty easy setup, we'll see about operation. Seems like a winner. I ran a few already lubed boolits through the sizer last night. Sucker is way quicker than my LAM2.

I agree with Marshall. Accept that you got it for free and you owe some business at that shop in return.

cbrick
03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
hivoltfl,

Got to thinking about your original post and it occured to me there is something that you really need to order from Magma. Directly related to the original owners frustration since it sounds like he attempted to pound a die out of the machine.

Order the die removal tool. Simply screw #1 into where the punch goes, slip #2 from the bottom through the die and screw into #1 and raise the handle, dies out.

http://www.lasc.us/DieExtractionTool-3.jpg

Rick

Marshal Kane
03-04-2008, 04:16 PM
. . . Order the die removal tool. Simply screw #1 into where the puch goes, slip #2 from the bottom through the die and screw into #1 and raise the handle, dies out. Rick
At least check out the price at Magma Engineering. The bidders on eBay pay way overprice for this item. Don't know why they do this, bidding frenzy?

Adam10mm
03-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Those instructions are a lot clearer than Magma's. I just took #2 with the big part on the die bottom and hit it with a rubber mallet. Die comes out.

cbrick
03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Those instructions are a lot clearer than Magma's. I just took #2 with the big part on the die bottom and hit it with a rubber mallet. Die comes out.

I don't think I'd want to do that to my dies. Knock a bur on the bottom edge of the die and you'll see it on every single bullet you push through it from then on.

Rick

mtgrs737
03-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Just use a piece of wood dowell rod to knock out the die, first back out the set screw that locks the die in place use a hair dryer to warm the lube around the die and a couple of taps and it is out. There was a really nice star with a Magma heater attached on ebay that went for $421 plus shipping not bad when you consider that a new magma star + heater will run you $350 + shipping. Another used star went for $255 + shipping, ebay go figure?

Nueces
03-04-2008, 05:46 PM
I've wondered about ebay prices, too. It may be that some offshore buyers find it easier to deal with individual sellers than OEM outfits, some of whom will not ship out of the US. Don't know it that's true, but it seems to fit the facts.

Mark

Marshal Kane
03-04-2008, 06:59 PM
. . . some of whom will not ship out of the US. . . Mark
It's true. Have been around eBay long enough to see some sellers post that they do not ship outside of the CONUS. Other shippers may but some don't.

38 Super Auto
03-04-2008, 09:50 PM
I don't understand it, but reloading stuff is getting stupid money on ebay - many times, it's way over retail.

I just sold a Lee 452 6-cav on ebay for $55+ship (without handles). I am not complaining. I used the money to buy a cherry H/G WC mold [smilie=1:

Adam10mm
03-05-2008, 12:45 AM
I don't think I'd want to do that to my dies. Knock a bur on the bottom edge of the die and you'll see it on every single bullet you push through it from then on.

Rick

Good point. I'll get a wooden dowel.

moredes
03-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the die removal tips! What a pain. I'm new at this Star, and these ideas beat the hell out of the instructions.

hivoltfl
03-05-2008, 08:00 PM
I went back to the dealer today and offered to pay him something, he refused and said he was aware of e-bay and pricing of used stuff, he refused money and gave me two MEC shotshell reloaders, a Versa Mec and a 650 both need parts but thats OK. BTW this guy gets all my business when he has what I need.

Rick

Nueces
03-05-2008, 08:41 PM
I believe I'd go back tomorrow and offer to marry his daughter. :mrgreen:

Mark

GunWhoreDer
03-10-2008, 09:24 PM
From what I've seen, E-Bay prices of Star Manufactured Original Star Lubrisizers are usually higher than the ones now made by Magma Engineering. Overseas buyers are another reason. Enjoy the new toy, GunWhoreDer

38 Super Auto
03-10-2008, 09:30 PM
It must be a hot market for Star sizers. I spoke with Magma today. Magma said there is a 4-6 week backlog on their sizer.

Adam10mm
03-10-2008, 11:54 PM
I waited three weeks. It's worth the wait. Dies and parts are in stock and ship same day.

GunWhoreDer
03-11-2008, 12:43 AM
I have 2 Star Manufactured sizers w/ heaters.
I had 4 older model Magma Bullet Masters that can cast 4,000 / hour.
I'll be selling the Stars once I sell the 2 Bullet Masters I have left.
I also have 35 sets of 8 molds per set for the Bullet Masters.
I''ll probably brake up some of the duplicate sets and start selling them in eaches soon too.

Adam10mm
03-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Wish I had the money. I'd snag a caster and some molds.

GunWhoreDer
03-11-2008, 01:54 AM
Magma gets $11,350 per Bullet Master and $676 per 8 mold set.

I am selling mine @ $3,000 Bullet Master and $300 per 8 mold set.

Adam10mm
03-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Great prices. Still too rich for my blood.

GunWhoreDer
03-11-2008, 02:00 AM
Great prices. Still too rich for my blood.

Not to worry, I will trade for guns.

ddeaton
03-11-2008, 11:50 PM
So a dumb question here. Sounds like the Star is a lot better than the Lyman? And Magma is the place to order one. I am new at this, just getting into casting

cbrick
03-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Yep Magma, Here's their link.

Magma Eng (http://www.magmaengr.com/)

ddeaton
03-12-2008, 09:03 PM
And what options do I need when I order one? Heater, and die. What size die? I will be casting 45acp first off. 451-452?

cbrick
03-12-2008, 09:18 PM
And what options do I need when I order one? Heater, and die. What size die? I will be casting 45acp first off. 451-452?

Dies for sure, base heater optional depending on what lube you use, where you live and how cold it gets there. I've never had a heater on mine though I do have a couple of them. Occasionally I'll put a 40w bulb next to mine in the winter. IF the heater's not out of your price range it would probably be handi.

If I were to order only one die for the 45 ACP I'd get the .453"

I would also order the die removal tool, this really is needed.

Rick

bigbear
03-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Wow, what a score that is.

All and any parts including dies can be had from Magma. For anyone not familiar with magma here is their web link. Right nice folks to do business with too. You don't need "top punches" with the Star, you need flat punches, one for each caliber, size nose first with the flat punch against the flat bullet base.

Magma Engineering, PO Box 161 · Queen Creek AZ 85242-0161 (http://www.magmaengr.com/)

Rick
Is the book in their ad worth getting for someone just getting into this?

cbrick
03-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Dunno Bigbear, have never seen their book myself so I don't know if its geared to a new caster or someone new to bulk commercial casting with the master caster. A call to them would get the answer.

Rick

rbwillnj
03-12-2008, 11:20 PM
ddeaton, I sent you a private message. I have an original Star for sale if you are interested.

mtgrs737
03-12-2008, 11:29 PM
To all that may be considering dealing with rbwillnj, I got my star from him and some extra dies and a punch, HE IS A GOOD GUY TO DEAL WITH. He is a fast shipper, and a good comunicator they just don't get any better than jbwillnj.

garandsrus
03-13-2008, 12:01 AM
The book is well worth the money... I have one.

John

GunWhoreDer
03-13-2008, 09:35 AM

Per Lyman the recommended die is .451, per Speer it's .452 die.
I would go with .451 standard cast or .452 w/ Hard Cast boolits.

cbrick
03-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Per experience I would size at least .001" OVER groove diameter and NEVER UNDER groove diameter. Since we don't know the slugged groove diameter of ddeaton's bore and they all vary I would recommend a .453" sizing die. Being a bit over ideal is far better than being under sized causing leading and loss of velocity/accuracy. Sizing dies vary as well as variation in the final sized diameter of the alloy being sized. My .453" Star die sizes WW alloy at .4528" and that's .0013" over stated groove diameter and .0011" over my slugged groove diameter.

A .451" die that sizes WW alloy at .4508" would be under groove diameter of almost all groove diameters of the 45 ACP.

With any luck at all ddeaton's boolits won't be "hardcast". Hard is just about the last thing the 45 ACP needs. Properly sized boolits in my 1911 shoot very well from 6 BHN up through 12 BHN. Hard causes problems with leading and exaggerates sizing errors.

Here is the cartridge drawing for the 45 ACP per SAAMI specs.

http://www.lasc.us/45ACP-99.jpg

Hope this helps shed some light on the subject.

Rick

johnho
03-13-2008, 10:04 PM
ddeaton,
when you call on a die they will also want to know how many grooves. If one it is no problem, if more than two you will need to know the spacing between the center of each lube groove. From my experience you can not just tell them the bullet number, you must know the dimensions I mention. the die will come with shot to plug the holes you don't need. Have fun setting the punch height, it can be a trick. Patience.

also, would recommend the air pressure device. for air, if you don't have a shop compressor, go to Lowes or Home Depot and get their small air tank with a hose and attachment to connect to the air fitting. Some don't think much of them but for me it is a dream not having to turn that handle on top. Constant pressure all the time and no rejects from not having turned the handle soon enough.

lathesmith
03-14-2008, 09:50 AM
If a guy is going to use a sizer larger than .452 for 45 ACP, I would strongly recommend a Lee factory crimp die to ensure proper chambering. In the past using a .453 or larger sized slug in 45 ACP I have had a some rounds that would not chamber or were too tight. The crimp die eliminates this. Yes, I know, some guys swear this die simply sizes the boolit smaller, and only acts as a secondary sizer die. To this I say, maybe or maybe not. Besides, what good is your ammo if it won't chamber?
lathesmith

utk
03-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Sizing a boolit already sitting in it's case in a Lee FCD would probably lessen the case's hold on the boolit. The lead doesn't spring back like the brass does.
Better size the boolit to it's correct dimension FIRST, then reload.

mtgrs737
03-14-2008, 01:07 PM
I agree with the others here, the air cylinder for the lube tube and the shovel type handle for the star lubersizer are two very worthwhile upgrades.

I do disagree that lead boolit alloy does not spring back, I have had as much as a .0005" increase in boolit diameter occur 12 hours after sizing. Pure lead may not have this spring back as I have not tested it. The star lubersizers are the fastest hand operated lubers on the market and well worth the extra money IMHO, Heavy duty well designed and built machines that will outlast most users.

I have and use the Lee Factory Carbide Crimp dies for all my pistol ammo and am very pleased with their operation, I have never experianced a problem with loose boolit fit. :castmine::drinks: