PDA

View Full Version : Problem with BAC lube

btreanor
02-25-2015, 05:26 PM
Background/equipment: using older Saeco lubrisizer, BAC lube (hollow sticks), Saeco 185 gr. SWC bullet

Problem: The BAC lube is becoming "emulsified" or possible entrained with air bubbles (see pic below). The lube normally comes out a light red color, but now it's coming out a VERY light pink (almost white). In and of itself, this isn't an issue because I don't care about the color. However, the lube actually expands after the bullet is removed from the lubrisizer! And when I go to load them, a bit of lube strips off all the way around the edge of the case leaving a sticky mess that must be cleaned up after the round is loaded. The cleaning process takes longer than loading and is a real PITA!

My guess is that I should begin using solid lube sticks instead of hollow ones because the lubrisizer is designed for solid sticks. I think that the air pocket in the middle of the stick is becoming entrained in the lube as it's compressed and then the air entrained in the lube expands once the bullet is removed from the lubrisizer. However, I've used many hollow sticks in this lubrisizer before without ever having this problem.

Has anyone else seen this before?

Thanks in advance for any experience and/or advice!

Bill

bhn22
02-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Try melting the lube stick and pouring it directly into your sizers reservoir. I haven't seen an extreme case of lube aeration like this, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

mold maker
02-25-2015, 06:12 PM
If your correct, melt the hollow lube and pour it into the sizer. Or slowly heat the sizer lube well to allow the lube it already contains, to liquify. Just don't over heat and scorch the lube.

Jeff Michel
02-25-2015, 06:56 PM
Mine looks like that if it's cold. Use a base heater or a hair dryer and warm it and you might back off on your pressure. should straighten right up.

Czech_too
02-25-2015, 07:52 PM
^^ I agree with the above post. ^^
Noticed the same thing in my sizer until the lube came up to a higher temp.

fredj338
02-26-2015, 01:25 AM
I've used BAC in my star & it looks like that if I give it too much heat.

btreanor
02-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the responses.I forgot to mention that my garage was quite cold at the time and it did seem to take quite a bit of pressure to get the lube to flow. I've got a heater so I will try using that next time if the ambient temperature warrants it.

Please keep chiming in with any other ideas or experiences!

osteodoc08
02-26-2015, 09:32 PM
More heat, less pressure

h8dirt
03-01-2015, 08:17 PM
If you decide to go the melt/pour route, and decide to add heat to the press, you might want to think about throwing in some Carnuaba Red. The result will be a less sticky lube. I use the mix in my 45 ACP (and other handgun loads) with good results. Just FWIW.

cajun shooter
03-04-2015, 09:48 AM
BAC is a great lube for that new powder, I would add less pressure and try heating and pouring into the sizer. I always had to add a little heat when using the BAC in my Stars. Once it started to flow, I was able to turn it down or I ended up with a runny lube. It's a trial and error thing as everyones conditions are different so one set of rules will not work for everyone. BAC is noted for not needing heat but there are exceptions and you are one with a cold room to work in. Try small changes and don't do anything in large steps. Later David

Dan4570
03-09-2015, 10:06 PM
Hi,

We had an issue along those lines last spring when we were prepping for the Quigley shoot. (casting party to get ready) we cleaned out the old lube, and washed out the lube-r-sizer. cleaned it. We ended up using my lube (designed as a pan lube) we melted it and poured it in just let it set up before trying again. it worked better than ever.

Another option is to heat the lube-sizer with a heat gun and thus melting the lube in it. I have seen this done before and gave the same result as did hours of cleaning.

Dan