PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of Starline, Rem & Win Brass

texasmac
02-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Hey guys,

Here’s everything I know about Starline, Remington & Winchester .45-70 brass. Based on the photo and dimensions you can see why Winchester carries more capacity. Note the difference in wall thickness and the relatively sharp transition from the solid head to the walls. Also note that Rem. has slightly thicker walls than Starline. The main reason why Starline has less capacity than Remington is the design of how the head transitions to the web region. Since a Starline case weighs more than Rem. case but has slightly thinner walls, the weight difference is in the head.

BTW, I always deburr the primer hole in my Remington brass. Based on what I found when sectioning the cases, I’d definitely recommend deburring Win. cases. I checked several Win. new cases and the burrs in all were significantly worse than Remington or Starline. Notice the ridge sticking up in the primer hole in the Win. case. It extended 3/4 of the way around the hole. Based on what I found, Starline may not benefit from deburring.

Click on the photo for a larger image.

Wayne

cajun shooter
03-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Wayne, Thanks for taking the time to provide this info, I only have a hand saw and knew that I could not section a case for those types of readings. I also notice that the primer pocket area of the Starline is much thicker and has extra brass in the flash hole area.
I only shoot black powder and have cases in 44wcf and 45-70 that have had many loadings. My case loss is very small from case failure.
I will store this in my loading notes for future reference. With my Starline 44WCF cases selling for .23 each and the Remington and Winchester going for .35 to .40 each, it's easy to see why the Starline is so popular.
I have all three brands in my 45-70 cases and with most of my loads, it does not make a difference as I'm able to use the same loads in all three with some compression.
The one thing that I have never done is to load the same load in all three brands and see if there is a target difference. Might be a good project for the forum. Later David

M-Tecs
03-01-2015, 04:14 PM
Saw your post on 24 Hour Campfire. I was hoping you would post it here. Thanks.

prs
03-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Well, how'r-Ya gonna get'm back together? Solder? Super GLue? Gorilla Tape?

:-)

prs

Dixiejack
03-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the information, Wayne. Over the years of shooting and reloading, I have always had better results prepping Remington's brass and got more reloads from their brass, also. I have not used that much Starline brass, so I can't give it a fair evaluation. JMO.

rfd
03-09-2015, 08:53 AM
very interesting, thanx for sharing! looks like WW brass would be best for swaging the primer pocket to accept large pistol primers.