PDA

View Full Version : This oil for BP lube?

passgas55
02-25-2015, 04:03 PM
http://www.getg.com/G-OIL/4-cycle_bio-synthetic_10w-30.php

I was at HomeDdepot and this oil caught my attention. If it really is plant base I would like to use
it for not only trying a beeswax mixture, straight up as a patch lube, make moose milk with it and also to lube/protect my bp guns. I will email the company and see if they will tell me how much petro product is in it. Tried it before? Market gimmick?

Hip's Ax
02-25-2015, 09:24 PM
Here's the MSDS. I'm sure the gurus here can tell you if its viable. http://www.getg.com/docs/MSDS/MSDS_G-Oil_SAE30_4_Cycle_Bio-Synthetic_Green_Engine_Oil.pdf

passgas55
02-25-2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the MSDS. One thing I see is that it is insoluble with water so I guess that rules out moose milk.
Some things I do like is it is pretty safe product considering it is motor oil. It looks like it is not a petroleum product.

Old Scribe
02-26-2015, 01:16 AM
Just curious, pg55. Why the interest in this type of patch lube or for that matter a protectant. There are several products out there that are free from or low petroleum.
Just being nosey.

passgas55
02-26-2015, 07:48 AM
Just curious, pg55. Why the interest in this type of patch lube or for that matter a protectant. There are several products out there that are free from or low petroleum.
Just being nosey.

I have 1 can Ballistol but I am having a problem finding locally. I do like the stuff. I would like to be able to find a good product locally.
My main use will be moose milk and rust protection. Bonus if carries over to modern firearms protection too.

Chill Wills
02-26-2015, 10:36 AM
Ballistol is mostly water soluble cutting oil - mineral oil, with their eleven herbs and spices added. Good stuff and I use it.
But for a local Ballistol replacement for what you want to try, consider the NAPA cutting oil -NAPA auto parts store. I use it mixed with H2O for patch-wiping between shots and if you want to get into the big-wide world of making BP bullet lube it would be a place to start as Ballistol substitution.

Michael Rix

Dan Cash
02-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Trying to get there the difficult and spendy way? Too many other lubricants avaliable for cheap that work; neats foot oil, canola, peanut, garden variet crisco, unsalted lard, on and on.

passgas55
02-26-2015, 02:21 PM
I plan on getting the Napa cutting oil today when I make it home. It will be use in a moose milk mixture.
I am using a mixture of beeswax and crisco for my bp 357 mag rounds now. I may go pick up the G oil and use it
as a gun lube/rust protection. Just trying to use stuff I can pick up locally. If I do get the G oil I will use it as a patch lube
on a muzzle loading pistol as a test to see if it causes any bad fouling or tar problems.

Toymaker
02-27-2015, 08:32 AM
Machinists oil/cutting oil/water soluble oil = be sure you get the brown stuff, not the blue. It's brown, looks like oil, feels like oil, smells like oil, tastes like oil. Mixed approximately 7:1 water/oil it makes a great patch lube. Soak the patch strip, gently wipe off the excess and spread it on a non-porous surface to dry leaving just the right amount of oil. Water, oil and Murphy's Oil Soap in 3:2:1 is a good substitute for Ballistol. Sometimes I'll add some zip to the mix by adding Pine Sol equal to the amount of Murphy's. But I always rinse after cleaning with this mixture.

Chill Wills
02-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Machinists oil/cutting oil/water soluble oil = be sure you get the brown stuff, not the blue. It's brown, looks like oil, feels like oil, smells like oil, tastes like oil. Mixed approximately 7:1 water/oil it makes a great patch lube. Soak the patch strip, gently wipe off the excess and spread it on a non-porous surface to dry leaving just the right amount of oil. Water, oil and Murphy's Oil Soap in 3:2:1 is a good substitute for Ballistol. Sometimes I'll add some zip to the mix by adding Pine Sol equal to the amount of Murphy's. But I always rinse after cleaning with this mixture.

Toymaker, You are talking about sulfurized cutting oil. I have no experience with that (except for cutting threads) and I am not sure by your writing what patch strip you are lubing either.

By "Blue" as in "brown stuff, not the blue" I think you are talking about the color of the NAPA can? or oil color? The NAPA product in the blue can is what I use to make wiping liquid to wet patches to run down the barrel between shots using BP in cartridges. Are we talking about the same thing? If so, carry on. I'm interested. I would like to know more about your use with the sulfurized oil and what it does differently.
Thanks,
Michael Rix