PDA

View Full Version : Thick LLA

Cowboy_Dan
02-25-2015, 05:17 AM
I have a few bottles of LLA and was going to use them to make some tumble lube mixes with them the other day. As I opened the seals, I noticed one looks like some of the solvent (as I understand mineral spirits) has evaporated. Should I add some back before mixing 45-45-10 or BLL, or will it not make a real difference?

762sultan
02-25-2015, 06:39 AM
Check the CASTPICS web site for an article by forum member BEN HAYS . He has a lube that he has tested and has proven results. There are great pictures and a full description of how to mix and apply.By adding a liquid Johnsons wax it thins it down so it will make it easier to get an even and smooth covering.

texassako
02-25-2015, 09:58 AM
A bit of heat will get it to flow. If you can get about half out you can make BLL right in the bottle. I had one like that and a partially used bottle that were stiff. I measured the level of LLA on a wood skewer, marked off how high the level of One Step should go, and used the skewer to make sure the LLA was not still stuck in the bottom of the bottle.

Char-Gar
02-25-2015, 11:20 AM
I routinely add some mineral spirits to such lubes to keep them liquid and flowing again.

geargnasher
02-25-2015, 12:18 PM
A bit of heat will get it to flow. If you can get about half out you can make BLL right in the bottle. I had one like that and a partially used bottle that were stiff. I measured the level of LLA on a wood skewer, marked off how high the level of One Step should go, and used the skewer to make sure the LLA was not still stuck in the bottom of the bottle.

Yes. If needed, you can put the LLA bottle in a mug of hot water, use a folded bath towel or something to force the LLA bottle to submerge, and that should make it thin enough to mix, pour or measure. Once blended with Johnson's liquid wax it's good to go, but some warming certainly helps get the LLA to blend initially.

Gear

Cowboy_Dan
02-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I had heard of the heating trick, I just want to make sure whether I need to add back the mineral spirits to the thicker bottle to keep the mix correct. I'll probably use the liquidy bottle for BLL and make 45-45-10 from the other with some extra mineral spirits.

lar45
03-01-2015, 02:01 PM
As far as I understand it, the mineral spirits evaporates through the sides of the bottle in a process called paneling. So like the other guys said, warm it up in hot water, then add a little mineral spirits and mix to get it back to the right consisntency.
If your going to mix it with the johnson's wax, it probably won't matter either way as long as everything mixes together. If your end product is a little thicker than you wanted, just add a little mineral spirits.

And on a saftey note: Do not warm your lube in a microwave. The vapors can ignite and blow lube all over the inside. The wife was not pleased. Now I have my own microwave in the shop.

FergusonTO35
03-06-2015, 11:58 AM
I just add enough mineral spirits to keep it at a chocolate milk consistency. FYI, you can also scrape up dried lube, put it back in the bottle, then add mineral spirits to dissolve it so you can get more use out of it.