PDA

View Full Version : Having Fits Soldering a Front Sight on a Uberti SA

35 Whelen
02-24-2015, 08:28 PM
Like the subject line says...I'm using one of the blue bottle plumbers torches. I've fluxed and tinned both the bottom of the sight and the slot in the barrel, but can't seem to get everything hot enough when I put the sight in the slot. The solder will meld it appears at the very front edge of the sight, but the bond breaks easily. Funny thing is I've done this twice before; once on the same revolver (removed too much material when regulating the first sight :oops:) and on another Uberti.

Should I be using one of the hotter torches such as the yellow bottle MAP gas variety?

Thanks,

35W

koehn,jim
02-24-2015, 08:32 PM
The type of solder can make a difference, I use silver solder as it melts at a lower temp. I use map gas but very carefully so as not to get it to hot.

35 Whelen
02-24-2015, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. I bought this solder "kit" either from Brownell's or Midway and I've almost positive it was advertised as low temp solder. Came in a little clear bottle with a bottle of flux and a coil of solder.

35W

DougGuy
02-24-2015, 09:13 PM
Probably not getting it hot enough. Heat will "pull" solder towards it. You will see the solder when you got it hot enough. What kit did you get?

AkMike
02-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Is this a stainless steel pistol? :shock:

GhostHawk
02-24-2015, 11:07 PM
Buy one of the yellow bottles of Mapp gas for the soldering. Runs hotter than the straight blue bottles.

Also don't be afraid to turn that torch up, and remember that heat rises! So torch flame should be below barrel, when you see the solder draw, chances are your good.

doc1876
02-25-2015, 10:13 AM
yellow is hotter I only use yellow any more for everything.

seagiant
02-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Hi,
This: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/solders-flux/hi-force-44-solder-prod709.aspx

wch
02-25-2015, 10:56 AM
Silver solder is the way, use a heat sink on the muzzle.

KCSO
02-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Coat the inside of the barrel with soot to keep it from scaling.

mazo kid
03-01-2015, 12:13 PM
The type of solder can make a difference, I use silver solder as it melts at a lower temp. I use map gas but very carefully so as not to get it to hot.
??? Silver solder is a high temp solder, nearly like brazing! Did you mean "silver-bearing" solder? Plain soft solder should be adequate, but I use Stay-Silv which is a silver bearing solder and does make a strong joint. You need to heat the barrel up (most mass) to the melting temp of the solder and the sight should then also be at temp. I would train the flame tip at the muzzle end of the barrel, even into the end of the barrel. Good luck!

oldred
03-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Mapp gas is not what it once was, not by a long shot, but the manufacturers have done a pretty good job of playing on the old Mapp reputation and getting people to pay enormous prices for what is essentially just Propylene. Real Mapp was discontinued in 2008 because one of the ingredients was somewhat scarce (meaning expensive) and was much more profitable for use in making plastics rather than the limited market for this gas. It was replaced with Map-Pro but the labeling manages to get both of the "P"s in the name to make the customer think "Mapp", in reality however it is simply 95% Propylene and 5% Propane as opposed to real Mapp which was a mixture of Propylene, Methy Acetylene and Propadiene. A propane torch can burn to around 3600 deg F (Turbo torch) while the Mapp pro, according the BernzOmatic site, at about 3730 deg F so only about 130 deg hotter. Map-Pro burns about the same as Propylene but the Propylene is a heck of a lot cheaper (as the Map-Pro should be!), unfortunately there is a heck of a lot of difference between Mapp and Map (Pro)!

Of course that 130 deg can sometimes make the difference (and sometimes not!) but it just gripes me that the manufacturers get away with selling what's essentially just Propylene for such an inflated price based on a play on names! Sorry for the rant but the real Mapp has been gone since 2008 and yet still the phony stuff gets promoted as if it's a whole lot hotter than Propane when it's not.

35 Whelen
03-09-2015, 06:15 PM
I ordered and received some of Brownells 475° solder. What a difference! Did the job in just a few minutes with the blue bottle plumbers torch and not discoloration to the barrel.
Thanks for all the replies.

35W