PDA

View Full Version : Hard Star lube (BLUE) and White Label carnauba red - significant difference??

Buzz64
02-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Just lucked into a new in the box magma star luber/sizer with heater. It also came with 9 sticks of blue star lube. I've used White label carnauba red for years and am very happy with it. How does the star lube (Blue) compare to the carnauba red? Running mostly 9mm, 45acp, 40S&W.

fecmech
02-24-2015, 08:50 PM
I've had good luck with the Magma(star) lube in handgun loads myself in the 9mm and .45 acp. The sizing issue is critical in the 9mm so slug and go at least .001" over groove. The .45 is easy on lube being a low pressure slower twist. No experience with the .40 but my guess is to treat it like the 9 as it's a high performance cartridge. IMO the Carnauba red is a better lube than the Magma although a bit more sticky and that can be a problem with bulk stored lubed bullets. I'm currently mixing CR/Magma 50/50 to use up what I have and then will buy the CR commercial lube which is less sticky. Good luck with your new Star.

runfiverun
02-25-2015, 03:45 AM
magma uses paraffin, carnuba, and coloring.
carnuba red is a pretty dang well thought out blend of 7 different waxes, one of which is carnuba.
magmas melt/flow temp is higher by about 15-f.
carnuba red is softer and stickier.

I mix both lubes with other stuff to work a bit better for me.

cajun shooter
03-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Whit label BAC lube. If it's sticky in your area, add some carnauba flakes by very small amounts. Flakes may be purchased from Randy Rat.

bhn22
03-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Wow, I didn't like Magmas bullet lube at all! I found it especially poor for heavier loads like full power 9mm & straight magnum cases. It's performance with rifle calibers was atrocious. Of the two, I'd use Carnuba Red if I had a choice. I got a few samples of Magmas lube when I bought my Star from them, several lifetimes ago.