PDA

View Full Version : Bang for buck in convection ovens?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-23-2015, 11:38 PM
After reading a bunch of threads in this forum, I'm beginning to see mentioned over and over again, regardless of which coating is used, that a convection counter top oven, not a toaster oven, is the way to go.

I'm also beginning to see folks mentioned convection ovens that already have electronic or PID style controls on them out of the box. In addition, I'm seeing folks add fans and PID controls to their convection counter top ovens.

Which brings me to the question I have:

Which counter top convection oven is the most bang for the buck for what you get?

If you know of a good one at a reasonable price, please post a link. I'd be interested.

I'm not looking to spend a small fortune on an oven I can't cook in, so the price has to be within reason for the application. Right now, I'm looking at buying from either Walmart.com or Amazon and I'd be real interested in getting the most for my money I can.

Thank you for the help,

Dave

jkcerda
02-24-2015, 12:03 AM
I paid $40 for a new convection oven at wally world. Not sure what your budget is

Beagle333
02-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Don't forget to check Craigslist and Thrift stores. I got a nice 3 tray convection for 30 bucks on Craigslist.

1911KY
02-24-2015, 01:31 PM
This infared oven has been great for me. 12 minutes at the 390 F setting and the PC flows very well.

It's a little pricey but it works great. Looks like they have some used options now.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-G110P-Xpress-Toaster-Silver/dp/B008C9UFDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424798932&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+infrared+toaster+oven

Smoke4320
02-24-2015, 01:43 PM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Designed-For-Life-Extra-Large-Convection-Countertop-Oven/13729291
This is the one I got .. I can do well over 200 bullets a batch..
Be sure you find out exactly what your oven reads when you get to 400 Degrees actual temp in oven
\Mine is a consistent indicated 375 to get actual 400
no hot spots with fan running
Walmart also sell heavy duty cookie sheets that perfectly fit this oven .. don't quote me but I believe something like 9x12
http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-5149/k2-_b5d0d8e5-b5bc-4316-99eb-596900db8dda.v1.jpg

Doc Highwall
02-24-2015, 02:25 PM
How would a convection oven work for heat treating bullets? I think it would work great but would like some feed back from somebody that has used one.

jmort
02-24-2015, 02:44 PM
"How would a convection oven work for heat treating bullets?"

Real good. Other than the wife's kitchen stove, not sure if there is a better option that would not cost a fortune.

huntrick64
02-24-2015, 09:00 PM
A small convection oven works awesome for heat treating boolits. The LASC site has great info on the temps and methods. I follow their info and get exactly the same results. Now I am wondering how much of the BHN I loose by curing the powder coat. I haven't tried quenching immediately following curing the powder.

Lucky Joe
02-24-2015, 10:43 PM
I really don't see what a convection oven can do over my toaster oven. It holds a consistent 400 deg. the PC flows nice and even without wrinkles and passes the smash test. Also sizes and shoot well.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-25-2015, 12:18 AM
I really don't see what a convection oven can do over my toaster oven. It holds a consistent 400 deg. the PC flows nice and even without wrinkles and passes the smash test. Also sizes and shoot well.

It probably doesn't do anything over your toaster oven when you're talking small batches. It probably does when you're talking larger volumes (it holds more) and you want the heat to be as evenly distributed as possible when the oven is full (the fan moves the air and thereby evens out the heat).

Oreo
02-25-2015, 01:35 AM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Designed-For-Life-Extra-Large-Convection-Countertop-Oven/13729291
Be sure you find out exactly what your oven reads when you get to 400 Degrees actual temp in oven
Walmart also sell heavy duty cookie sheets that perfectly fit this oven .. don't quote me but I believe something like 9x12
http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-5149/k2-_b5d0d8e5-b5bc-4316-99eb-596900db8dda.v1.jpg

I bought that one too. At $90 it is not the budget option but it's a behemoth! Seriously, its the largest "toaster oven" (term used loosely, very) I've ever seen. I've been using it for kitchen duty for a year now. We use it way more then our full size oven for cooking meals but it's so big that it's inefficient for actual toasting. Takes up a lot of counter space too. What the pictures don't show is the big hemispheric bulge on the back that allows interior space for cooking pizzas as big as the full interior width.

One nice thing about a big oven is the ability to fit all sorts of other stuff in there that you may decide to powder coat. Been thinking about doing some brake calipers. Or if you don't mind modifying the oven there's plenty of vertical room for a third tray.

Lucky Joe
02-25-2015, 08:22 AM
It probably doesn't do anything over your toaster oven when you're talking small batches. It probably does when you're talking larger volumes (it holds more) and you want the heat to be as evenly distributed as possible when the oven is full (the fan moves the air and thereby evens out the heat).

Thanks Dave, I'm not a big PC'er and the oven is more than ample for what I do. Most of my shooting is covered with 45-45-10 or Ben's LL.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-25-2015, 08:59 AM

Smoke,

I've been looking at the unit you posted online (and a bunch of others) for the past couple of days. There are other nice units, but this one seems to hit the best price point between size, performance and cost.

We have a similar Oster unit sitting in the kitchen with a single baking rack inside. It's older and has been used a lot, so not so pretty any more and it's not stainless steel. Turns out most of the model number (TSSTTVMNDG) is very similar as for the one you provided the link for (TSSTTVXLDG-001).

I'm guessing the difference is the stainless steel and the single baking rack, because the one we have has the same controller and has slots stamped for two baking racks, not the single it came with. It's also deep enough, with the rack size being 14 1/8" X 12."

My thoughts right now is from a house hold political stance, I could buy my wife a new toaster oven (the unit you provided a link for) and take her old one. While I'm at it, I could order an additional baking rack for our current unit to give it the same capacity. I give my wife the brand new stainless one and I'll take the old, ugly not looking so good any more one. I put the second rack in that one, I'm in business and the wife is happy.

BTW, Walmart is out of those online (of course, since I'm buying) and the closest Walmart that has one is about an hour's drive away. Add in the gas and tax and you're up around $113.00. Target has the same model for $99.00 and the drive is considerably shorter, but you're still out about $113.00 by the time you pay gas and tax. Ironically, you can get the same unit shipped for $99.00 from www.oster.com and buy a spare rack from Oster for the older unit as well. Amazon has a similar deal, but they have to charge tax now.[smilie=b:

Thanks to obummer and the money grubbing dems getting into the internet business model, we'll soon have to pay a toilet tax when we go to the john because it's in the same state I reckon.

Any how, it's looking like my best deal all around is to get a new one from oster.com and get the wife's unit for myself. I don't have a PID, but I do have a digital multimeter with temperature capabilities and a temperature probe I can calibrate the settings vs. reality.

It won't be long now. I need to get going ordering supplies and such.

kryogen
03-01-2015, 09:26 AM
you need an oven that will keep a very constant temp, or a separate pid and hacksaw your oven.
I don't know how good the electronic quality ovens are at keeping temps, but my 100$ oven was nowhere as close as the pid. The pid learns the oven and then it just clicks power every second to keep it there. It doesnt lower 20C below and then go 20C above... my regular thermostat oven was like 75F off, and would cycle at least 50F over and under.... eh. wasnt sad to hacksaw it for a PID. Now it's +- 2 celcius.

one way or the other, you will NEVER ever cook any food in it. Keep it in the garage once it's contaminated with lead and paint /solvent fumes.