PDA

View Full Version : Nice Linotype score....

jeepyj
02-23-2015, 10:50 PM
A coworker mentioned the other day she was helping out a friend clean out a old printing buisness I instinctively said let me know if they have any Linotype. Two days later she came in and said she had asked but no luck. Well a couple weeks later they apparently started cleaning out a back area and come across some so she texted me and asked if I was still interested. Well only fifteen miles from my house I hard time to contain my excitement. Here's is a photo of some of the 950 lbs.
Jeepyj

RayinNH
02-23-2015, 10:52 PM
You must be living right. Great score.

Clay M
02-23-2015, 11:03 PM
Very nice..I have about 500lbs left..I use it mixed 80%WW/20% Lino that mix works prefect especially if you water drop..
Use it wisely because it is expensive and hard to come by.. I am happy for you..

swamp
02-24-2015, 12:45 AM
Buy a lotto ticket. Good score.

captaint
02-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Wow jeepyj, it appears that someone actually knows what Line O type is..... Great score pal.

lightman
02-24-2015, 10:38 AM
Nice score! I've had 2 deals fall through recently, mostly timing issues. You can't beat being in the right place at the right time. I have a good bit, but ya know how it is!

runfiverun
02-24-2015, 10:43 AM
I don't think that's linotype...
nope it ain't..
I might could cover shipping costs, and use it in some experiments so you don't have to worry about messing up your pots and such..
i'll give you detailed reports on my findings if you like.. :kidding:

jeepyj
02-24-2015, 11:02 AM
I don't think that's linotype...
nope it ain't..
I might could cover shipping costs, and use it in some experiments so you don't have to worry about messing up your pots and such..
i'll give you detailed reports on my findings if you like.. :kidding:

Well there's a very generous offer. Let me sleep on that, your right I'd hate to mess up my pro melt. :)
Jeepyj

bangerjim
02-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Nice load.

The strips cast in full sentences should be of lino-ish hardness, unless the shop did not replenish the Sn/Sb and "wore it out". Did happen in smaller shops. No way to know except testing with x-ray gun.

Keep the blank strips separate. Those are "leading" spacers and most times are NOT hard lead. I have many hundreds pounds of printing spacers and they range anywhere from 10-15 hardness, so keep them separate and do not treat them as linotype.

banger

jeepyj
02-24-2015, 02:10 PM
banger,

Thank you, For now I'm just letting them sit in the boxes and reading the "Ingot to targets" to help pick up a few more pointers. I figure I'll have some questions but for now I still have a good amount of the COWW that I've been using for quite a while. My casting and shooting is primarily limited to hand gun at 1100 fps or less. You've peaked my curiosity with the 10-to 15 number. It is my understanding that right in line for light handgun loads and just about the same a COWW. Your opinion would that be right about the same as I'm shooting now?
Jeepyj

bangerjim
02-24-2015, 04:44 PM
I mix and cast almost all my handgun subsonic boolits at 10-12 and then powder coat them all. PC allows you to shoot solfter lead that in the old days. Some on here are playing with almost pure Pb then PC. I'll stick with a kiss of Sn and Sb for my usage.

I would not hesitate to use pure spacers for subsonic rounds. Just do not count on it to sweeten your mix like you would with pure real lino.

I would really recommend downloading and using the FREE Alloy Calculator Spreadsheet on here. Lets you play with your alloy mixes easily! Do a search for it. Very popular.

Have fun! You're fixed with lino..............at least for a few days!!!!!!!!![smilie=s:

banger