PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 2 new to me Lee moulds

Geezer in NH
02-23-2015, 10:06 PM
1 old style and one the New LH

The older mould was for the 303 brit and casted a nice boolit at .316

The new style was the 30 cal 309-113FP and it casts at .310 or .3105

The sprue plate screws totally do not work. I have an eye DR app tomorrow and on Thursday I am drilling a sprue plate screw lock screw for both.

I am however still below cost of a better mould, I hope

GhostHawk
02-23-2015, 11:01 PM
Considering that most molds other than Lee "Start" at 90$ and go up, I'd say you could afford to buy some spares and still be ahead of the game.

I've had a few that the screws liked to work lose on. I cheated, pulled the screw, dropped some gorilla glue down the hole and on the screw and screwed it back into place tight, let it setup for a day.

Hasn't worked loose since. I have one of the LH ones that likes to though.

gwpercle
02-24-2015, 04:38 PM
You might want to try this tip. To keep those screws from loosening, remove the loose screw and insert a small ( important word here is small) ball of 0000 steel wool into the hole, put the screw back on top of wool and tighten up. I got this tip here, really didn't think it would work but too easy not to try . It does work !...I spent all day Sunday with 3 new design Lee's, that wouldn't stay tight for more than a few casts...not one loosened. Amazing!
I would ruin a mould trying to drill and tap alumnum, but the small tuft of steel wool I accomplished !
Whoever posted the steel wool fix...THANKS ! Gary

MT Chambers
02-24-2015, 06:41 PM
The next step usually is that those screws will shear off, they are made of some cheap alum. or pot metal, and yes they will shear off leaving you to get the pc/s. out of your mold. Still cheaper than an NOE or Accurate though.

Garyshome
02-24-2015, 07:02 PM
Good tip...
I just returned a lee slug mold, got an e mail from them today they are replacing the mold no charge , I had to pay shipping to lee though. I'm Happy!

Geezer in NH
02-24-2015, 07:54 PM
Considering that most molds other than Lee "Start" at 90$ and go up, I'd say you could afford to buy some spares and still be ahead of the game.

I've had a few that the screws liked to work lose on. I cheated, pulled the screw, dropped some gorilla glue down the hole and on the screw and screwed it back into place tight, let it setup for a day.

Hasn't worked loose since. I have one of the LH ones that likes to though.

Thanks for the quick fix , if the screw breaks off big deal I have plenty of easy outs. Typing on one eye here as the left had a shot today and is totally blurry. Ken

zuke
02-25-2015, 07:57 AM
I use Bullshop lube on the sprue plate screw;s

Ben
02-25-2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the quick fix , if the screw breaks off big deal I have plenty of easy outs. Typing on one eye here as the left had a shot today and is totally blurry. Ken

You type much better with one eye than I can with two.

Ben