PDA

View Full Version : 1911 add on long barrel for hunting

TCLouis
02-23-2015, 07:56 PM
Lone Wolf makes an extended barrel (9") for the Glock.

Does anyone make something comparable for the 1911?

Yes I know one can buy handguns with more speed and power than the standard 45 ACP in the 1911.

I have some, just looking for something different, the same, but different that is.

No I am NOT looking for 10 mm. 44 Mag, 45 LONG Colt, 454, 475(s), 480(s) just a long barrel that will match up to the rest of a 1911.

44MAG#1
02-23-2015, 08:13 PM
Why would you want it. Velocity gain (actual not guessed) is very little with a somewhat longer barrel in a cartridge such as a 45 Auto.
Other than just having something odd looking why?

roverboy
02-23-2015, 08:14 PM
I saw a 1911 12" barrel a few years ago but, sorry don't know what brand.

DougGuy
02-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Convert it over to .45 Super and keep on gettin' up.

bruce drake
02-23-2015, 09:53 PM
SARCO Inc has offered long 1911 barrels for several years.

The original poster may live in a state that requires a minimal 6" barrel on its hunting pistols.

Bruce

44MAG#1
02-23-2015, 10:14 PM
SARCO Inc has offered long 1911 barrels for several years.

The original poster may live in a state that requires a minimal 6" barrel on its hunting pistols.

Bruce

That would be a reason right?

GhostHawk
02-23-2015, 10:57 PM
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911barrel7roto.aspx

At 60$, tempting. They also had barrels in 5 and 6 inch lengths as well as a 16" for a bit more.

1911cherry
02-23-2015, 11:53 PM
Would the extra length just hang out past the bushing? Sounds kinda weird, but cool too -a 9 inch longslide would be awesome.

lefty o
02-24-2015, 03:44 AM
dont waste your money on one of those sarco junk piles.

StrawHat
02-24-2015, 08:02 AM

What do you suggest he use?

Kevin

GhostHawk
02-24-2015, 09:27 AM
I don't believe you should smear someones name and reputation without at least some evidence to back up your claim.

Nor did you offer any alternative.

Seems to me that if you are going to drag someones name through the mud you should offer the details along with the smear job.
Course I have some funny ideas some days.

lefty o
02-24-2015, 01:14 PM
there are plenty of quality options for 1911 barrels in about any length you could want, and several quality barrel makers will build whatever you want. do a little search on those sarco barrels, they arent very good. not dragging sarco's name through the mud, just the barrel they sell.

BossMaverick
02-24-2015, 01:32 PM
I could be wrong, but I think that there would be a certain barrel length that accuracy would become counterproductive due to various things (such as the effects of recoil and the slide starting to move). I wouldn't be shocked to learn that a 9" barrel would be less accurate than a standard 5" barrel under normal shooting conditions.

With that being said, I would be curious to see how the extra barrel length would effect velocity using a slow burning handgun powder.

osteodoc08
02-24-2015, 01:58 PM
How long do you want it to be? There are 6" long slide versions of the 1911 relatively easily available. A 12" barrel would just look silly. A 1911 Buntline anyone?

If you're wanting more performance, consider 460 Rowland conversion. I've shot a few conversions and honestly, was pretty impressed. Muzzle blast was there due to the compensator, but recoil was about the same for me as any other 45 acp loading.

captaint
02-24-2015, 02:05 PM
Les Baer used to make (probably still does) a long slide 1911. I don't remember what the velocity was, but Les said he was pretty impressed with the increase.

country gent
02-24-2015, 03:17 PM
I have a bar sto 6" 38 caliber barrel in my wadcutter 1911. Its chambered in 38 spl. 1" sticks out past the slide and bushing. Very accurate and enjoyable to shoot. A plus would be a Long slide as that will increase the sight radious also. A 6 or 7" long slide with full slide to muzzle would be interesting to use

wv109323
02-24-2015, 04:02 PM
The Army MTU did a lot of testing for their match 1911 pistols. The 5" barrel was the most practical and just as accurate as any. I don't think you could get any more velocity out of the .45 ACP with a longer barrel. You would need a slower powder that would not build pressure. I have never seen any loading data for a "long barrel" .45 ACP so you would be on your own to develop a load. Also hot-rodding the cartridge would take some gunsmithing so as not to damage the slide and frame of the pistol.
With that said there was a 16" barrel and a shoulder stock that the military had. It proved undesirable and are kinda rare.
The barrels sold under the name "Roto-forged" logo are not desirable. The rifling is O.K. but the dimensions for the fit of the barrel hood and the bottom lugs are way to loose to be accurate. They are dimensioned to fit in any 1911 so the fit is generous to say the least. That is based on the one that I own. Some are sold as"National Match".
With the Roto-forged barrel installed in a gun the accuracy would be limited to 50 yards because the fit is so loose. Besides you are limited to the sight radius that exists on a 1911.

bobthenailer
02-25-2015, 09:08 AM
IMO there's not much advantage to a longer barrel unless the distance between the sights is increased or a red dot sight or a scope is used . I have several 1911 handguns with barrels over 5" in length.
perhaps you could try the med to med slow powders to increase velocity with a longer barrel ?

Tackleberry41
02-25-2015, 02:10 PM
I messed w handloads in a hi point carbine, didnt really see any increase in velocity with the longer barrel, if anything 16in will slow things down. You would need something in the middle. As said you would need to get off the standard load data pages use something slower to take advantage of the barrel, but not change the pressure. I imagine if there was anything to that it would be more widely sold. You could go up to 45 super, but are gonna have to beef things up, doubt a standard type barrel would work, you would need something ramped.

I dont know anything about sarco brand barrels, just know you have to spend a few bucks on one if you want a decent one. Bought a 'cheap' 40 S&W barrel for a project, it wasnt very good, not sure what it would 'drop in'. Bought a $99 lone wolf barrel for my glock, now I know should have spent the money on a better one.

MrBFR
02-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Unless you're shooting warmer .45 ACP ammo you won't gain much with just a long barrel. If you want more power without much change in the gun other than spring changes, the .45 Super is the way to go. If you reload for it you can take it to 460 Rowland levels but will need a new barrel with comp. If you don't reload, the 460 Rowland is the way to go but you'll have to buy a kit that comes with a comped barrel.

Char-Gar
02-26-2015, 02:41 PM
I have killed deer with a Colt Govt. Model pistol because it was all I had available to me. If, I had a revolver of some kind in 44 caliber or larger I would have used it in a heartbeat. I would not use a 45 autpistol if given a choice.

Markbo
02-26-2015, 09:46 PM
I cannot recommend a longer replacement .45 ACP barrel. BUT...I can highly recommend a .460 Rowland conversion. A lot more power, very accurate and can be reloaded on your existing .45 ACP dies. It is a hoot and a hog hunters dream sidearm :happy dance: