PDA

View Full Version : Lead ban ???

Theditchman
02-23-2015, 06:05 AM
I see lead bans are being talked about..does any one know the real scoop? are they trying to ban lead for just hunting? or all kinds of shooting?

groovy mike
02-23-2015, 09:49 AM
The state of California has already banned hunting with lead ammunition. The state of NY has banned lead wheel weights from being sold in NY - this means that the supply of lead for those of us casting is getting smaller and smaller in NY.

rodwha
02-23-2015, 10:56 AM
I've not heard this. Is this a nationwide push to ban lead?

groovy mike
02-23-2015, 11:39 AM
I've not heard this. Is this a nationwide push to ban lead?

I dont think anyone in Texas would be that stupid. But CA and NY seem to be racing for the most ridiculous idiocy in legislation.

therealhitman
02-23-2015, 11:52 AM
I dont think anyone in Texas would be that stupid. But CA and NY seem to be racing for the most ridiculous idiocy in legislation.

Bloomberg's money is already in Oregon pushing for a complete lead ban on the next ballot. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the CA lead ban on ALL lead boolits, not just for hunting?

bangerjim
02-23-2015, 12:11 PM
It is mainly your uber-liberal east and left coast. There is still plenty of lead to feed to condors.

Liberals everywhere would like to ban all guns........except those carried by the personal body guards they all have!!!!!

banger

gnostic
02-23-2015, 02:23 PM
I think they tried and were overturned by the courts....

Garyshome
02-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Lots of lead in sailboat keels!

OuchHot!
02-23-2015, 04:16 PM
In CA the Pb ban applies only to hunting, theoretically. The reality is that every gun range is having Pb testing done on run-off with a view to closure. Given that elemental lead is actually not anywhere near the concern it is made out to be and that Pb is very common in the earth's crust, I think we have a political problem. I think it is a problem that every gun owner regardless of address should fight.

Gtek
02-23-2015, 08:42 PM
A Ferrari with no gas is worth what? A firearm with no bang is what? The now going, probably done deal to remove XM855/SS109 from our hands. Lead, Desert fires, criminal Condor study, on and on. "THEY" will use what ever, how ever, from every angle to justify their end game. Lead is just another excuse for their ignorant, misguided Liberal children. You better believe it!

OverMax
02-23-2015, 09:09 PM
I hunt my own property that surrounds my cabin back away's off the beaten path and home process everything I harvest. Cast my own boolits and make my own powder. If lead is banned throughout this State no matter its purpose. There's sure to be allot' a whining heard. Well~~ all but mine that is.

altheating
02-23-2015, 09:37 PM
They won't ban sail boat keels, they are owned by the rich and famous.

sghart3578
02-23-2015, 09:39 PM
I live in Northern California. There is a lot of confusion over the ban, even here. The way we understand it up north is that the ban is only down south in areas that the condors inhabit. I could be wrong. Lead ammo is still for sale here. I stock up on lead for my casting and all of my buddies do too.

I agree with the sentiments above that this is a thinly veiled attempt to curb our rights. There is a story in the media that the lead ban was only passed after the CA government supressed a study that said the lead found in condor carcasses comes from them chewing paint chips on old structures painted with lead based paint. I work in the wilderness areas on radio structures and I can verify the fact that buzzards, and I can only assume condors also, do a lot of damage to our radio towers.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/2/lead-ammunition-ban-passed-after-feds-withheld-key/?page=all

The confusion here has a lot of the sheeple in CA scared. I cast and shoot lead and wills always do so. But everyone, everywhere needs to be informed and involved.

mack1
02-23-2015, 11:11 PM
I hope reality sets in soon, banning an element seems to be an exercise in futility. I know they are trying to ban fire for home heating so we will see. Maby a ban on snow is next.

True.grit
02-23-2015, 11:28 PM
Might have to build a gun to shoot golf balls. I do not think they will outlaw golf.

Magana559
02-24-2015, 01:53 AM
Lead ban in CA is all across the state. Nobody is safe in 2019, you will be forced to hunt with lead free.

koehlerrk
02-24-2015, 07:18 AM
Lead ban in CA is all across the state. Nobody is safe in 2019, you will be forced to hunt with lead free.

And exactly how does that work with a front-stuffer? Other than the sugar burning, fast twist, gag-me, inline abominations? This is just great... NY will be next I'm sure.

500MAG
02-24-2015, 07:20 AM
This is why you need a hoard.

mountainman
02-24-2015, 12:10 PM
I had heard that the last of the lead smelting plants was closed last year. That all of the new lead coming to the country was from China. Don't know how true that is though. I've got about 150# and I keep buying it every chance I get. Gotta feed my front stuffers.

ejcrist
02-24-2015, 01:07 PM
And exactly how does that work with a front-stuffer? Other than the sugar burning, fast twist, gag-me, inline abominations? This is just great... NY will be next I'm sure.

Exactly my question. I've read of people in CA trying alternate projectiles but they were very expensive and don't have near the same terminal performance as pure lead. BTW, that's the best description of an inline I've heard yet!

bangerjim
02-24-2015, 01:12 PM
Oh No DOE RUN.....again!

Actually most of our domestic lead comes from recycled sources per several sources I have read.Doe Run shutting supposedly did not effect the supply of consumer level lead we use. And with the militry toying with the idea of solid Cu ammo, there should be millions of tons of lead floating around somewhere someday. Just what I would want as a soldier facing an enemy, ammo that will not expand in the target, just go cleanly thru him.....letting him survive long enough to shoot me a few times with LEAD eapanding boolits!

bangerjim

danthman114
02-24-2015, 01:14 PM
ifs the birds theyre worried about, why dont they ban expansion and the building of new buildings. perfect example is the area around fontana, ca. it use to be wide open all the way to the mountains and it was full of hawks and even a couple of condors. well now its all houses and all of the birds are gone...

OuchHot!
02-24-2015, 03:21 PM
It is just a political ploy, no rational assessment applies. More raptors were killed by wind turbines than all the lead boolits in history. We now have solar power installations that incinerate birds in flight! If you think about the buffalo extinction in the 1800's most of those were left to carrion and only pelts and prime cuts taken. They were shot with huge slugs of deadly lead and somehow the condors survived. The front stuffers can be fed brass, and other projectiles but lose lots of effectiveness.

True.grit
02-26-2015, 01:12 AM
Condors I here.... taste like $&*+ anyways. If they start eating golf balls they might have to use some enviro friendly digestible recycled toilet paper to make them out of. You know kalifornia....... got to keep it green.

Jack Beauregard
02-26-2015, 01:20 AM
But CA and NY seem to be racing for the most ridiculous idiocy in legislation.Which means that Washington won't be too far behind.

Good Cheer
02-26-2015, 07:30 AM
Gee golly. I'm surprised no one has come along yet and tried to insult people about wearing lead foil hats. But, that would have been in the political forum.

Concerning muzzleloading without lead, lead is handy because it shoots further and has a decently low melting point. But, if the effort to shut down centerfire firearms takes lead away there are still viable alternatives for muzzleloading hunters. I don't even have to have rifling.

ejcrist
03-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Just my $0.02 but if lead were banned for hunting where I lived I'd have a hard time staying interested in shooting in general. A big part of the fun is making your own projectiles whether they be round balls for muzzleloaders or bullets for revolvers, and then using your artwork for target practice, plinking, and hunting. I hope the rest of the country doesn't follow CA's lead.

koger
03-05-2015, 09:29 PM
Some local fellers and I were talking the other day, and we decided we would just give them all the lead they wanted when they come to confiscate it, if they get the nerve, we will hand it over, delivered right down the barrels of our firearms!!

bdecker9
03-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Amen brother. They can try all they want, but folks like us already have the know-how, and until they figure out how to take that, they are gonna stay on the losing side of this. They may get a few people to quit buying commercial lead containing bullets, but really I,doubt they'll stop that many people from doing what they love. Heck, I doubt a lot of game wardens would enforce this bs as it is entirely un-American.

VEARL
03-06-2015, 06:19 PM
and exactly how does that work with a front-stuffer? Other than the sugar burning, fast twist, gag-me, inline abominations? This is just great... Ny will be next i'm sure.
sounds like you are wanting to come out of the closet. I know you really want an inline. Go ahead and buy one. They are great to hunt with and can outshoot any sidelock.
P.s. I really think you already own one, but are afraid to make it public.

bdecker9
03-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Oh my.

rodwha
03-06-2015, 06:48 PM
"They are great to hunt with and can outshoot any sidelock."

Hmmm.... Ask Idahoan if he needs an in-line to shoot well out past 200 yds.

koehlerrk
03-06-2015, 06:52 PM
sounds like you are wanting to come out of the closet. I know you really want an inline. Go ahead and buy one. They are great to hunt with and can outshoot any sidelock.
P.s. I really think you already own one, but are afraid to make it public.

Very funny... Nope, ain't got one, but my neighbor does. He wanted some help with it last year

After three days I gave up. Could not get that *** to shoot better than a 6 inch group at 50 yards. Meantime my Hawken was turning in honest 3 inch groups at 100 yards.

Nope, next front stuffer I'm after will be an underhammer.