PDA

View Full Version : .300blk Subsonic Cast Boolit HP mold help

Inov8a
02-23-2015, 04:51 AM
Hey Team,
Newbie caster here. Sorry if this topic has been covered.
I am wanting to find a projectile mold for a projectile that is suited to the .300BLK rifle.
It needs to be very accurate to 100m, have a good Hollow point, and preferably not need a gas check.
I will be running them subsonic only in a bolt action and an AR platform so would prefer they load well in a magazine also.
Can anyone shed any light on successful moulds they have or have used that fit the above specs?
I would probably look at a 4-6 cavity mold.

Thank you in advance.

wcp4570
02-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Inov8a
Welcome to the forum. You have joined a great forum that is dedicated to cast boolits of all size and shapes. I have a couple of 300 uppers and enjoy shooting them. I don't have a mold that is above 200 grain but enjoy the Lee C312-155-2r, Lyman 311041 and 311241. You may be able to find answers to your question using the forum search tool. Look for the search window at the top right of the page and do a search for "300 Blackout", I just did this and got over 2500 hits. This search is a custom search that only searches this forum. It is a very useful tool for finding info that has been discussed in the past. Get in there a dig, read, learn, contribute and enjoy.

wcp

FLHTC
02-23-2015, 11:28 AM
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/index.php

Try here. I can't imagine a hollow point being useful with a heavy bullet fired subsonic at 100 yards. Staying under 1,100 FPS is beneficial for close quarters urban combat but not so much for any type of hunting. Just my opinion

Moonie
02-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Yea, the 245 Accurate or 247 NOE boolits are great for this however you really don't need a hollow point. It complicates things that don't need to be. A good flat point is all you need, when cast of the right alloy will expand as well as a hp at these velocities.

Inov8a
02-23-2015, 06:40 PM
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/index.php

Try here. I can't imagine a hollow point being useful with a heavy bullet fired subsonic at 100 yards. Staying under 1,100 FPS is beneficial for close quarters urban combat but not so much for any type of hunting. Just my opinion

Hi FLHTC,
In New Zealand we are allowed to hunt with suppressors on our rifles, so hunting with subsonics is very beneficial.
I have already shot wild boar and red deer with it using the Lee mold from Midway, but the accuracy is rubbish.
Recently I have acquired a mold with a very deep hollow point and from test we have done it seems to mushroom not too bad. So I am looking for a projectile that is 200gr+ and ideally has a HP. The best mushrooming/fracturing projectiles seem to be the Lehigh ones and they have a very deep HP.
What are the accuracy disadvantages of a HP?
As we do a lot of hunting I would ideally like to find a mold with 4+ HP cavities.

wlc
02-23-2015, 07:05 PM
There is actually an active group buy going on right now for a bullet designed for the blackout that can be had either plain based or gas checked and with hollowpoint pins or a plug to cast solids.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?236225-MiHec-300-ACC-Blackout-2-or-4-Cavity-Brass-Cramer-HP-GC-or-PB

Should be a good mold. Miha makes works of art in brass.

FLHTC
02-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Hi FLHTC,
In New Zealand we are allowed to hunt with suppressors on our rifles, so hunting with subsonics is very beneficial.
I have already shot wild boar and red deer with it using the Lee mold from Midway, but the accuracy is rubbish.
Recently I have acquired a mold with a very deep hollow point and from test we have done it seems to mushroom not too bad. So I am looking for a projectile that is 200gr+ and ideally has a HP. The best mushrooming/fracturing projectiles seem to be the Lehigh ones and they have a very deep HP.
As we do a lot of hunting I would ideally like to find a mold with 4+ HP cavities.
i don't think there are any accuracy disadvantages of a HP but I can't imagine a heavy having much expansion at 100 yards, when its leaving the muzzle at 1,000 fps. Even if it is hollow pointed.

bhn22
02-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Hi FLHTC,

Only three left! http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=999&osCsid=1chap53of7m1lfv5l4d81o5ge4

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/images/N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_311_226Gr._HP_226_gr_Sketch.J pg

Elkins45
02-23-2015, 10:50 PM
There is actually an active group buy going on right now for a bullet designed for the blackout that can be had either plain based or gas checked and with hollowpoint pins or a plug to cast solids.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?236225-MiHec-300-ACC-Blackout-2-or-4-Cavity-Brass-Cramer-HP-GC-or-PB

Should be a good mold. Miha makes works of art in brass.

I'm on that list. At the rate things are going they will likely put a man on Mars before that mold is cut.

NOE made an RG version of his 247 that I bought, and he also made a 200 grain HP that I also bought. I don't know if they are still available. I'm still experimenting, but part of the plan is to make some of the heavyweights from pure lead and see how they shoot.

Inov8a
02-24-2015, 01:43 AM
I have put my name down on that list....but I too am impatient by nature when it comes to this type of thing! haha
Also going to purchase one of those NOE molds in the meantime. However its a big outlay when I'm not sure how accurate they will shoot.

wlc
02-24-2015, 02:58 AM
I'm on that list. At the rate things are going they will likely put a man on Mars before that mold is cut.

NOE made an RG version of his 247 that I bought, and he also made a 200 grain HP that I also bought. I don't know if they are still available. I'm still experimenting, but part of the plan is to make some of the heavyweights from pure lead and see how they shoot.

Yea, I'm on it too. Been thinking about getting off of it cause I don't want to wait till I'm old enough to draw SS before it's cut. If only Tom at Accurate could/would cut pointy tip molds....... I do have the ACE 300blk mold. So far I'm really liking it. quite accurate at 50 out of my AR. Just started working on loads for my new Encore barrel in blk with it.

Inov8a
02-24-2015, 03:27 AM
We need something accurate out at 100m and pretty good to a maximum of 200m as we like to head and neck shoot our game. With the cast boolits I have been making they are just punching right through leaving the animals to bleed out. We would rather they dropped.

Moonie
02-25-2015, 03:45 PM
We need something accurate out at 100m and pretty good to a maximum of 200m as we like to head and neck shoot our game. With the cast boolits I have been making they are just punching right through leaving the animals to bleed out. We would rather they dropped.

What alloy are you using? If it is a hard alloy a HP won't make much difference.

Inov8a
02-25-2015, 08:54 PM
I have collected a fair bit of lead from the range, mostly made up of others once fired projectiles. :-)
We have an NOE 311299 202Gr mold with a large HP and that opens up quite well.

FISH4BUGS
03-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Hi FLHTC,

I would urge you to check with your supressor manufacturer regarding shooting cast lead bulets through your can. I have ruined one shooting lead through the can in some of my machine guns. I actually changed the mind of a manufacturer when I returned his can for a rework.
Yes, these were hard cast bullets and all were subsonic.
Just a heads up.

03-04-2015, 08:34 PM
The Lehigh boolits are awesome and engineered to expand well at subsonic velocities. I have been very happy with their performance and hope I can get a cast boolit to perform anywhere near as well. It sure would save a lot of $$$ !!!

HP's can been an issue with feeding in a semi-auto, but I have had no problems with the LD 194ME in my AR. I have a Lee mold (3112305R), but have not yet been able to shoot the test loads (too cold here still!).

Inov8a
03-05-2015, 02:43 PM
I would urge you to check with your supressor manufacturer regarding shooting cast lead bulets through your can. I have ruined one shooting lead through the can in some of my machine guns. I actually changed the mind of a manufacturer when I returned his can for a rework.
Yes, these were hard cast bullets and all were subsonic.
Just a heads up.

Hi FISH4BUGS, I work closely with my suppressor manufacturer, he is a good friend. So we have no issues there thanks.

FISH4BUGS
03-05-2015, 04:21 PM
You will make a great field tester for him then. Everyone I know that manufactures supressors says NO LEAD!
But your mileage may vary. It would be good to watch it closely for lead buildup and subsequent baffle strikes and see how his supressor behaves with lead.
Good luck!

Moonie
03-06-2015, 04:17 PM
You will make a great field tester for him then. Everyone I know that manufactures supressors says NO LEAD!
But your mileage may vary. It would be good to watch it closely for lead buildup and subsequent baffle strikes and see how his supressor behaves with lead.
Good luck!

Even the guys that make them for 22 rim fire?

LongRangeAir
03-07-2015, 07:24 AM
This sorta, kinda applies. LOL

I am shooting a .257 Custom AirGun with 70-80 grain bullets cast from NOE 80 grain mold that I decked to drop the weight. I am testing HP version (HP'd by Eric) at 1090 for the 70 grainer, and 960-980 for the 80 grainers.

They are 20/1 lead/tin and fired thru a barrel from TJ's Barrel Liner's. The accuracy is superb, and they open up beautifully! The Lyman 257420 is a slow opener, and the NOE is a FAST opener. I use it for pest varmints here. The Lyman is for Yotal dogs and Pig.

The Gun is suppressed. And yes, it needs it. It barks far louder than a 9mm auto, and more like my Les Baer 1911, with out it.

Cleaning the LDC (Lead Dust Collector, the buzz word for suppressors in the big bore air gun world,) is not a problem. there is far more problems with burnt powder in regular firearms for me.

If I wanted a good HP mold, I would buy the mold I wanted, from the mold maker I wanted, and have it shipped to Eric at Hollow Point Mold Service. He's been doing it for a very long time! And in HP's, experience is key to good performance.

Bullet weight has nothing to do with it. Design does!

KnifeMaker

Smoke4320
03-07-2015, 07:52 AM
The NOE 311247 is a great mold for the blackout or 308
Very accurate at sub velocities from my two guns.
And actually developing a 1400 fps load for my 308
Get the hp and cup point pins
That way you have all bases covered as

Echo
03-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Even the guys that make them for 22 rim fire?

Not a suppressor, but my High-Standard target gun loaded up its compensator to the extent I had to de-lead it at the end of each season. Twenty-two slugs leave the bbl with little tails, caused by the rifling, and those tails get blown off by the muzzle blast - and land in the compensator - or suppressor.