PDA

View Full Version : decisions decisions

texasbilly
02-22-2015, 10:15 PM
I am looking to purchase a revolver in 45 Colt. I like the Ruger Vaquero and the Uberti Cattleman. The prices are about the same. Do any of you have experience with one or the other? Which one would you prefer to purchase, and why?

bob208
02-22-2015, 10:20 PM
me I would go with the ruger. American made good warranty.

RobS
02-22-2015, 11:04 PM
I've shot a Uberti and it was a nice well finished firearm. Saying that I'm a Ruger guy and prefer the transfer bar system for the firing pin. Personally, I would not be loading the Uberti with 6 rounds and carrying just for simple safety sake.

rintinglen
02-22-2015, 11:37 PM
I, too, prefer the "six-shooter" aspect of the Ruger. I am not sure about the latest production, but older Uberti's were very much clones of the old SAA, with the same issues of accidental discharge if the hammer were let down on a loaded chamber. The Rugers have been "six shot safe," since 1973.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-23-2015, 12:13 AM
Good advice. I've got a couple of Vaqueros, one NM Vaquero, and several Ubertis by Cimarron FA. I believe the Rugers to be stronger than the Uberti-Colt clones, but they just don't quite capture the feel and balance. However, I'd go with the Ruger. You might also look at the new Piettas.

NC_JEFF
02-23-2015, 12:16 AM
Some Ubertis have a .454 bore and that limits your bullet choices unless you cast your own. I have two Vacqueros and love them both

scattershot
02-23-2015, 12:22 AM
I have both, and if you prefer the aesthetics of the old thumbbuster, the Uberti is pretty close to the original Colt. The Ruger is a stronger, more robust revolver, and is better suited to rough use and longer service, IMO. If I had to choose just one, I'd go with the Ruger.

jmort
02-23-2015, 12:25 AM
The Ruger Vaquero is a really nice gun. Have had two. Either one will make most anyone happy.

EDK
02-23-2015, 01:59 AM
The NEW VAQUERO is about the same size as the COLT Single Action Army and clones. The Original Size VAQUERO is a larger frame gun, which was discontinued several years ago.
I collect and shoot the Original Size VAQUEROS in 44 magnum.

shoot-n-lead
02-23-2015, 02:32 AM
Depends on what you want...Ruger is stronger and has the transfer bar safety...while the Cattleman is a SAA clone and has that feel and ease of carry that the Ruger cannot match. I have and like them both...for the vast majority of my use, the Cimarron (same as Cattleman) gets the nod and has done the job on everything that I have ever point it at...hog, deer and small game. Also, mine are 44 special...not colt's.

shoot-n-lead
02-23-2015, 02:34 AM
Depends on what you want...Ruger is stronger and has the transfer bar safety...while the Cattleman is a SAA clone and has that feel and ease of carry that the Ruger cannot match. I have and like them both...for the vast majority of my use, the Cimarron (same as Cattleman) gets the nod and has done the job on everything that I have ever point it at...hog, deer and small game. Also, mine are 44 special...not colt's.

For hunting only, I would choose the Ruger to get the better sights and to be able to go to 1200fps loads if I wanted to go elk hunting...for deer, these loads are not required in my area as shots are typically at less than 75yds.

Silver Jack Hammer
02-23-2015, 11:28 AM
You mean which one should you buy first...

ejcrist
02-23-2015, 11:44 AM
I agree with Silver Jack Hammer. Being a hunter I'd get the Ruger first without question. I like the clones a lot but for performance and value it's hard to beat a Ruger.

contender1
02-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Ruger. American made, proven track record, and I'll second all the above comments about them.

bedbugbilly
02-23-2015, 01:15 PM
I agree with everyone else - depends on what you want to do with it. I have both a NV and a Uberti Bisley but they are in 357 - both excellent handguns and good shooters.

I'm like you are at this point. I'm just about set up with everything to cast and reload for 45 Colt/Schofield and next step is the revolver purchase. I suppose if I still hunted, etc. I'd be going with the Ruger. But I'm kind of "old fashioned" and like the looks and feel of the Cattleman in 45 Colt - and having shot C & B revolvers for 50 years I'm used to leaving a cylinder un-loaded. So, I'm going for the Cattleman. I'll be loading both smokeless and BP but primarily "plinking" and playing at killing cans and such.

There can be problems with any brand of revolver . . . from what I've been seeing, Ruge seems to have a problem with getting their throats right but that's an easy fix. I've not heard of a whole lot of issues with the Cattleman but I'm sure there can be some. The Cattleman should be able to handle any factory load just fine so some of it may boil down to an empty chamber versus a transfer bar and 6? Either way you go you should have a good handgun.

Moonie
02-24-2015, 09:08 AM
Really does depend on your intended use. When I got my NMBH 45 convertible I wanted the ruger only loads for hunting and thought the acp cylinder would be a neat addition to all the 1911's in the family. I do enjoy it very much but it is much bigger and heavier than you want or need. Either the new medium frame Vaquero or medium frame flat tops would do well for your intended purpose.

StrawHat
02-25-2015, 07:26 AM
I would say it somewhat depends on your age. If you are younger and think more along the bigger is better line, get the Ruger and load it up as hot as you like.

If you have a few years under your belt and can accept that the original ballistics of the 45 long Colt are pretty darn good, get the Uberti.

I have had both and currently have two of the clones. Loaded with black powder and a 260 grain bullet, it packs a good wallop and gives me complete penetration on Ohio white tailed deer.

Kevin

texasbilly
02-25-2015, 10:40 PM
I appreciate all your thoughts. I do not intend to load hot loads in the 45 Colt. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag to do that. I just want to enjoy a classic single action revolver in a classic cartridge. After reading all your suggestions and comments, I believe that I will purchase the Uberti Cattleman in 45 Colt with a 5-1/2" barrel. I may even use it for hunting (if I ever decide to do that again).

Thanks to all.

StrawHat
02-26-2015, 07:39 AM
I like mine, a lot.

Kevin

bigted
03-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Kevin ... I currently own two real Colts and a "new vaquero" as well. I used to be a decidedly Colt only and their clone man ... however after shooting and handling the new vaquero I gotta say that the springs are much better and way less apt to break in the Ruger.

in the handling dept. I have to give my Colt 5.5 inch barrel the nod but I gotta say not by much. the Ruger is silky smooth and a way better trigger pull then either of my Colts. I have them slicked up and the notch's smooth as glass and they both break in a wonderful 2 to 3 pound area ... however that been said ... I have shot my Ruger enough that its trigger is the absolute best I have ever felt on any single action ... bar none. this "new vaquero" has the "feel" of the colts minus the 4 distinct clicks in the cocking the hammer. the best of both worlds I think and the Ruger is a pretty close clone size wise "NOW" to the Colt.

price wise I think as above mostly ... buy the ruger first and then as soon as possible ... get the clone or maybe the real thing.

nuttin like a pony.

Wayne Smith
03-04-2015, 01:40 PM
If you want the transfer bar and the Colt feel look at the Barretta.