PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 LPK trigger question

KCcactus
02-22-2015, 04:56 PM
What is the typical trigger pull weight for a mil-spec lpk under about $70?

I built a lower last year using a lpk that was listed as having a 4.5 lb trigger pull. I'm happy with how that one turned out, but they are out of stock and their website no longer lists the pull weight. At the time, I don't remember any other sites listing the trigger pull for their basic LPKs. Is 4.5 lb typical, or are most heavier?

aspangler
02-22-2015, 06:53 PM
Most are heavier. Get the Wolffe spring kit. Makes it about the 4.5 # range.

Steve77
02-22-2015, 08:50 PM
6 or 7 on many with my trigger pull gauge. Try swapping different factory hammer and trigger combinations in your AR. Some combinations will yield lower trigger pulls. Come guys swear by JP yellow spring kits(less than $15), but they can supposedly cause light primer strikes on military spec ammo.

GabbyM
02-22-2015, 09:09 PM
My old Colt has a usable trigger. But the late model I finally just gave in and spent $230 on a Super Dynamic Enhanced (SD-E).
Now I have a rifle I can shoot. 1.2 pound final pull with a straight trigger is very light. To light for combat, just like they say it is.
In this cold weather it's easy to pull right through it and I and the Grandson have done just that shooting targets. There combat triggers have a 2 lb final. I don't like the idea of honing stock triggers. Have seen two such units go full auto. Bump fire accidentally is another problem with single stage triggers. Sinclair has the Geissele 2 Stage Enhanced Trigger (B-G2S-E) on sale for $173. White Oaks Armament sells lower kits with match grade triggers or the ALG Combat trigger. Those ALG's are $65. With a lower kit it's $103. https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/home.php?cat=257

GabbyM
02-22-2015, 09:13 PM
6 or 7 on many with my trigger pull gauge. Try swapping different factory hammer and trigger combinations in your AR. Some combinations will yield lower trigger pulls. Come guys swear by JP yellow spring kits(less than $15), but they can supposedly cause light primer strikes on military spec ammo.

Those light springs will slow down your already slow hammer. Aggravating any errors you make. Also usually increase velocity E.S. as your primers are not properly lit off. Not the way to go for building a quarter mile varmint rifle.

dkf
02-22-2015, 09:48 PM
A milspec trigger is over 6lbs but usually under 8 lbs. I don't even use milspec triggers on anything, any build gets at minimum an ALG ACT trigger which runs around $65. The ACT is around 6-6.5lbs and has a nice break and next to no creep. I agree with not adding lighter springs. Get into some harder primers and you will not get reliable ignition and the velocity spread can increase. A good trigger on a budget is the Geiselle G2S.

aspangler
02-22-2015, 10:08 PM
The Wolffe kit uses the original hammer spring so no light primer strikes. It replaces the trigger and disconnector springs.

Cmm_3940
02-22-2015, 10:18 PM
The FCG that came in the CMMG LPK I used was best described as heavy and rough. I don't think my stock Bushmaster trigger in my other AR was much better. I took the easy route and installed Timney triggers. They drop in, nothing to mess around with, and they work great. Expensive, though.

Steve77
02-22-2015, 10:21 PM
I agree. But if he was planning on using a milspec trigger, he probably wasn't intending to have a competition trigger. If a guy plans on just plinking, and not shooting milspec ammo, the lighter springs are a small step up from milspec. If you need 100% reliability with any ammo type then there are better choices. Each improvement =more dollars. Just depends on your intended use and budget. My buddy shoots mil ammo with JP springs and has never had any failures, but his gun is just a lead flinging toy, to each their own.

Jupiter7
02-22-2015, 10:43 PM
The Wolffe kit uses the original hammer spring so no light primer strikes. It replaces the trigger and disconnector springs.

I've used the Wolff springs and this is correct , also have used the JP springs with no loss of reliability with LC m193. BUT, the ALG triggers are worth the money. Just buy a LPK sans fire control group and add ALG trigger.

MtGun44
02-23-2015, 12:36 AM
Rock River triggers are really nice.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/RRA_Two_Stage_Match_Trigger_Kit_AR0093NMK_p/rra-ar0093nmk.htm

Not and endorsement of this company, don't know them and have never bought from
them, just an example of the trigger.

02-23-2015, 08:11 AM
I've used the Wolff springs and this is correct , also have used the JP springs with no loss of reliability with LC m193. BUT, the ALG triggers are worth the money. Just buy a LPK sans fire control group and add ALG trigger.
Good way to go! I have a few builds with ALG ACT triggers and the JP spring kits installed. Add a trigger adjusting screw to take out the creep and you have a very nice trigger at a fraction of the price of a high end drop-in.

Mil spec triggers? Well after building my first AR, I likened the trigger pull to dragging a log cabin across a gravel bar with a comealong... it was bad.

GabbyM
02-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Rock River triggers are really nice.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/RRA_Two_Stage_Match_Trigger_Kit_AR0093NMK_p/rra-ar0093nmk.htm

Not and endorsement of this company, don't know them and have never bought from
them, just an example of the trigger.

That linked vendor list the same price as direct from RRA. $120. Everyone would have to pay sales tax direct from RRA as Illinois makes us pay it. Triggers should be good at that price. I spent the extra on a Geissele in part because they are supposed to be safe and reliable. Another $45 over the $120 RRA and you get a Geissele.

Watched the video of the RRA 2 stage. Does anyone know if that trigger resets after you pull out the first stage. In video it looked like it did not reset. More like a double set trigger.

By the way. I gave my Geissele SDE the acid test. With live ammo. Four in magazine, one in chamber, safety in fire position. I slammed the butt stock into the turf hard enough to eject and load another round. Cycled all five rounds through with no discharge. Which I found amazing for a “hair trigger” rifle. My odd requirements are one more reason you’d not see light weight reset springs on my AR triggers. Why bang around a rifle you ask. Well because I routinely hunt from atop a six foot ladder. So the rifle must be capable of taking a six foot drop with no discharge. I was slamming it down way harder than that. I’d still not stand in front of the muzzle as that thing just has to let go and fire at some point. I do not understand the AR trigger well enough to know if the safety would block the hammer from falling or not. I just looked at it and played around. Can’t tell but if I had to mark a box I’d guess no. My last two bolt rifle purchases were an FN-Win M70 and CZ-527. Both have firing pin block safeties. A feature I highly score in choosing a rifle purchase.

KCcactus
02-23-2015, 07:16 PM
I'm not looking for a competition or quarter mile varmint trigger. The GS-2 pull of 2.3 lb / 1.2 lb is too light for me. It will mostly be used for plinking and informal target, but may also be used for Texas whitetail. I haven't decided on a cartridge yet, but it won't be .223/5.56. I bought a couple of Bushmaster stripped lowers while they were on sale and it's time to start looking for parts to build one of them. My first one has a New Frontier Armory polymer lower with their metal LPK and a DPMS 16" 5.56 bull barrel upper. It shoots better than I do. It also ended up being plan B for my 14 yr old son's deer season this year. He got his first buck at about 65 yds with a Federal Fusion MSR 62 gr. It's a fun rifle, but the next one will be something different.

KCcactus
03-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the trigger advice everyone. I've decided to use an ALG trigger on this build. I also flip-flopped on my caliber choice. After finding a Bushmaster V-Match 16" HBAR 1x9 complete upper in 5.56 for $400, I convinced myself to do another fun rifle that uses brass and bullets I already have. Over Spring break, the coyotes were really howling at our place. There may be a father/son coyote hunt in my future. If not, clay pigeons and refilled water bottles on the backstop make for a fun afternoon. I'll get to a bigger bore AR build eventually. It's not like the stripped lower will spoil.