PDA

View Full Version : Gonna shoot the Whitworth in the 'Buffalo" match :-)

Buckshot
03-03-2008, 03:37 AM
..............On the 2nd Sunday each month the club put's on an informal Buffalo Silhuette match. Since the range only goes to 200 meters the buffalo silhuettes are kind of small. I don't think there is any limitation on the rifle type so long as you're shooting BPC or a ML'er. You can fire your sighters before the match and the match is 6 rounds in rotation with the other shooters. They pay a cash prize down to 3rd place.

I haven't had much time at all recently to load any cartridges with BP, but I do have the Whitworth and the Rigby LR match rifles (Rigby has a broken stirrup at the moment). Last Tuesday the Burrito Bunch shot ML'ers and I won campaigning the Whitworth. I figured I might as well do something about using it for the Buffalo thing too. The range has a couple hanging steel gongs at 200 meters, and these are smaller then the silhuettes.

While the Rigby has a tang sight, the Whitworth is a copy of a 1862 Military match rifle so it has a military type rear sight. It has steps supposedly for 1, 2, and 300 yards and then you stand up the ladder and use the elevator. The front sight is a tunnel type that takes inserts. As it is, shooting at 200 meters has generally required some kind of shim under the ladder as the 100 yard step is too low and the 200 yard one is too high.

What I did was to use a post type front sight with the ladder on the 100 yard step. As I mentioned, this is normally a tad too low. I bent the front post forward a bit, which in effect shortened it which caused me to hold higher :-)

Normally I use a 70gr charge of Elephant 2Fg, but went to a 75gr charge and the paper patched 525gr swaged boolit. The powder goes in through a drop tube and then gets a lubed felt wad. The paper patch is lubed by hand with Bore Butter and just sits on the wad. It's seated just firmly enough to ensure there isn't any air space.

http://www.fototime.com/F5B2831828DBFE3/standard.jpg

I fired it dirty (in the British fashion of LRML), and hit the plate 5 times in a row. There were some guys hanging around the rangemaster and I heard them commenting on how long it took the slug to get there. They probably meant the sound of the hit. That load should be going just short of 1100 fps so for the sound of the hit to return, it would be just short of a second from me pulling the trigger. They're centerfire guys anyway so they were probably ******** about the smoke, too.

While the 2Fg Elephant powder I have isn't as energetic as the Swiss, it doesn't form the hard fouling ring at the wad that the Swiss does. To bad it's not made anymore. I have 8 lbs of the 2Fg left, besides what's in my rangebox, and when it's gone ............... oh well :-(

Last couple of matches there has been a guy shooting a repro P53 Enfield. He was the only one shooting a ML'er. I talked with him a bit and was surprised to find out he was shooting the familiar ole Lyman 575213 OS and 65grs of Goex 2Fg. I thought he might have been shooting a little heavier slug with a bit more powder. I saw him fire 4 of his 6 score rounds and they were all 4 to 6 feet short (or below) the silhuette. If it were me, I might have made a sight adjustment!

Maybe next month I'll work up a load and use the P58 Enfield! Of course, the Whitworth might be so much fun I'll want to use it again?

.................Buckshot

Rattus58
03-03-2008, 03:46 AM
Cool.... I love long range with my Volunteer.... I should be trying paper patched bullets as well i think... :)

Good luck on your mission.... :grin:

idahoron
03-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Man if that shoot was near me I would be there in a heart beat. I wish we had shoots like that in our area. Ron

StrawHat
03-04-2008, 11:14 AM
One of the great advantages to using one of those frontloaders is not having to spend money on all those brass things. You don't have to clean them brass things either.

Keep it up Buckshot, you'll convince yourself and us to get rid of them convenient guns and go with the real things!

Buckshot
03-10-2008, 01:25 AM
................I had GREAT fun :-) It was a blast, no pun intended :-) Luckily I had everything ready to go the night before as the daylight savings thing really messed me up. I came sauntering into the livingroom this morning thinking it was 0830, and could have a leisurely cup of coffee and Donna says I just missed our daughter who stopped by, but left about 9. NINE! You mean, like 0900 THAT 9? She says, yeah the clocks went ahead last night....................

Also, to back up a bit and tell one on myself I knew the setting on the powder measure had been 76.0 grs. So I got the Lyman BP measure set to throw 76.0 grs of Elephant 2Fg and measured out 15 charges into their tubes. Then I thought, ya know I might better weigh the charge in the measure I'd been using (Duh!). It came to 83.4 grs :-) I got to dump them all back and reset the measure and re-dispense the 15 charges.

I hauled butt to the range (which is only 4.2 miles from my house) and got there just as they were closing the sign ins. Seems I wasn't the only Bozo to screw the pooch on the time thing. The honcho running the match tells me I have time for one sighter. ONE SIGHTER!? I have to fire a fouler and THEN do a sighter, but he was sorry as we need to get started. Which was true enough I suppose.

So my fouling shot was my sighter which really didn't mean anything but for the record it was perfect for windage and about a foot low. So okay, the previous Tuesday in preperation I'd fired 5 consecutive shots at the 200 meter gong for 5 hits and hadn't changed my sight settings. It was low because it had been fired from a clean barrel (I said :-)).

I was called to the line for my first score shot. The rifle was loaded and when I set it in the cross sticks I put the cap on the nipple and cocked it. I held 6 o'clock on the silhuette's belly line and let fly. Low again. The spotter said it hit just in front and threw dirt on the animal. Well bummer. That meant it was about 6" below the belly line so I needed more 'Up'. I checked in the trash can for some shim material and found a empty cardboard cartridge box (my favorite shim stock!) tore off a bit and stuck it on the step, under the ladder.

My 2nd shot for score hit BEHIND the animal! The spotter said it had to have gone under the belly. He said he didn't see the slug impact the backstop, just the dirt flying. I knew another shim would be too much so just held the top of the front blade even with the topline of the buffalo's back and my 3rd shot was a very satisfying CLANG, and he went over forthwith.

My 4th and 5th score shots were both hits, so I now had 3 in a row. In the meantime a lively breeze had come up out of the south. Our range points east so the wind was from our right. There is also a 22RF benchrest match that is held at the same time just to our right so there is no shortage of wind indicator implements set out. At least to the 50 yard line! On my 3rd hit (5th shot) I had held over the buff's butt and the spotter had called it just right of center, good elevation.

The wind was full value all the way out, with the 22 shooter's flags fluttering to the left and the dirt from misses and boolit splatter was also lifting and blowing to the left. My 6th and final shot was brain fart time. Even had I held as before, I had the whole left half of the silhuette to hit and the wind would have had to have been blowing a gale to move the slug off a foot to the left. I still would have hit. But since the breeze had freshened a bit, I held what looked to be maybe 4" off the buffalo's butt, for some reason or the other.

And, yes the slug missed the buffalo (as the spotter called it) a RCH off his butt to the right. Dang!

Regardless it was a great load of fun and I plan on trying out the Whitworth again next month. I'm satisfied that myself and the rifle are capable of making a pretty good showing against some darn fancy Sharps and Remington RB's wearing sights almost what my rifle cost, ha! I also shot the rifle dirty, not cleaning between shots. That gave me a chance to relax and BS a bit as the other shooters all scurried for the cleaning tables after they shot.

BTW, Jon K a member of the board here was the winner overall shooting a (45-70 I think) Sharps. I had intended to take the camera, but finding out I was an hour late caused that idea to fly out of my head!

...................Buckshot

dromia
03-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Great stuff Buckshot, must get mine out this year but as you get older time gets less. :(

Is it a PH or a Ped?

This is what I've been messing with recently a GW Bales of Ipswich volunteer I got a couple of years ago, a real father of a Snider. :-D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/2%20Band%20Enfield/2BandEnfield1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/2%20Band%20Enfield/2BandEnfield2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/2%20Band%20Enfield/2BandEnfield9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/2%20Band%20Enfield/2BandEnfield14.jpg

Buckshot
03-12-2008, 02:36 AM
.................Wow, that looks to be in really fine shape! What does the bore look like? It's a 58 right?

.............Buckshot

Rattus58
03-12-2008, 04:21 AM
.................Wow, that looks to be in really fine shape! What does the bore look like? It's a 58 right?

.............Buckshot

It's a .451 and if its actually whitworth rather than Henry, the bore is hexagonal with a flat to flat diameter of .451 and a corner to corner diameter of .467, which for some weird reason shoots conoidal bullets as well as the hexagonal bullets.

Aloha... :cool:

Buckshot
03-14-2008, 02:02 AM
It's a .451 and if its actually whitworth rather than Henry, the bore is hexagonal with a flat to flat diameter of .451 and a corner to corner diameter of .467, which for some weird reason shoots conoidal bullets as well as the hexagonal bullets.

.............Rattus58, I'm confused :-) My rifle is a Parker-Hale Whitworth. I was asking Dromia about his. If it was a 58 cal since he said it was a father of the Snider.

...............Buckshot

Rattus58
03-14-2008, 02:15 PM
.............Rattus58, I'm confused :-) My rifle is a Parker-Hale Whitworth. I was asking Dromia about his. If it was a 58 cal since he said it was a father of the Snider.

...............Buckshot

Hmmmmm no actually maybe it was I was confused.... I mistook the pictures to be YOUR Whitworth.

He said his was a volunteer, which I naturally assumed to of the original versions which to my understanding were Henry Rifled/.451.

dromia
03-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Yes its a .58".

Bore in excellent condition, 3 groove, 1 in 78" twist.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/2%20Band%20Enfield/2BandEnfield7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/2%20Band%20Enfield/2BandEnfield6.jpg

dromia
03-14-2008, 03:12 PM
No its a civilian manufacture for a Volunteer company, no broad arrows.

Volunteer made rifles are usually in better condition than WD ones as they were privately purchased and owned, also they weren't used for the fitting of the Snider shoe.

This one shoots well for a 3 groove 1 in 78" barrel 8" groups are the norm at 100 yrds if I do my bit in the loading and shooting. I feel that it could do better with a different boolit, roll on the BMF GB.

I use the RCBS minnie, usually with a clay plug, over 70 gns of Swiss No5. or TPPH. Krankies nutty slack works OK as well but the fouling builds rapidly with that.

I've got a Pritchett mould that I haven't tried yet, going to PP it.

That .590" collar button would be worth a punt in this methinks.