PDA

View Full Version : Rem sport load and challenger vic hulls

meister mash
02-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Does anyone have info on the wally world cheep Remington low brass Sport load hulls? They appear to have a one piece hull kind of like the old Win AA but a steel head.
And, Challenger Victory hulls. High brass separate low base wad.
I would like to reload these two brands of hulls if possible.
Pic
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt333/meistermash/20150222_092006_zpshzvqaqqj.jpg

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Cut them in half lengthwise to see what truly is inside. I have done this with all my shotshell hulls. My latest RCBS and Lyman shotshell reloading manuals have photos and explanations for the different types of hulls. Even the same maker with the same brass height may be different internally. Then, after you have positively identified what you have, use the data in the manuals to select your loads.

duckey
02-22-2015, 01:58 PM
Dido on Rattlesnake Charlie. Also on YouTube, Fortunecookie45lc has a good video on what hulls to use and not use in relation to their construction. The AA hulls he mentioned not using I had a bunch of (once fired) and hated to trash em so I cut one open and after seeing how it was made I was satisfied and felt it safe to reload. The Remmington Gun Club green hulls are true one piece hulls like the older AA hulls were and you can get a handful of reloads out of them.

meister mash
02-22-2015, 10:30 PM
I found the remingtons in my manual. Was afraid they were like the Winchester promo shells and not worth loading. Weird how the same hull is called several different names by Remington. They do remind me of the old Winchester aa hulls I remember loading from my youth. I need an adjustable charge bar or some smaller bushings because I have a pound of tightwad sitting on the shelf but don't have the right bushing.

beezapilot
02-26-2015, 05:03 PM
I shoot with a guy that retired from Olin shot-shell division- interesting- the old AA hulls were formed from a blob of goop that took 3 heated draws to make the hull, with the new ones the hull material comes in a roll like a giant hose and they cut it to length and put the bottom piece in (the one that snags the wad when you reload) and heat form it- faster and cheaper. I load the Remington "Gun-Club" family now almost exclusively- never had a problem with them- and usually get about 6 loads out of a hull. The new Winchester hulls after a few loads that inner cup tends to snag the wad on the way down and leaves a "girdle" mark on the outside of the hull, I had a hull separate on that line leaving the plastic in the chamber.

I had a run of 28 gauge AA hulls that were more a brick red color than the bright red- Field Loads- they did not reload worth a dang- internal friction would not allow the wad to seat- on 28's I've gone to STS's and old style AA's.

On 20's, Ive started mixing the GunClubs in with my STS / Premires, no noted difference in crimp or performance.

Am not familiar with Challengers.

elvas
02-27-2015, 12:46 AM
Victory shotshells:
http://www.victorycartridges.com/main/

Lefteris