PDA

View Full Version : Luxus

Tatume
02-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Anybody here own a Model 11 S? If so, please tell me about it.

pietro
02-22-2015, 12:21 PM

Good Luck - I would WAG that there's not a whole lot of folks wanting, or being able to afford, to pay $5K-$6K for a single shot rifle.

Tatume
02-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Pietro, If you check you will find that the Model 11-S is not a $5K-$6K gun. There are plenty of folks on this forum who pay considerably more for a revolver (Freedom Arms, for example) than the Model 11-S costs.

As far as being a single shot rifle, yes it is; single shots are the bees knees. None are more desirable.

country gent
02-22-2015, 01:45 PM
Tatume, How many spend the big bucks on a C Sharps, Shiloh SHarps Ballard or having a custom sisngle shot built? Theres alot that are willing to spend the money for good wood fit and finish.

Tatume
02-22-2015, 01:50 PM
Thank you. You live up to your moniker.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-22-2015, 02:37 PM
I might jump in line to buy one if I only knew what it is.

02-23-2015, 08:01 AM
Their website says $5-$6 thousand, but perhaps you could buy one cheaper used. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a break action single shot, or anywhere close even if the "S" model is cheaper.

gewehrfreund
02-23-2015, 09:09 AM
I recently seriously toyed with the purchase of an 11 S, but ended up buying a very early, rare Ruger No. 1 for my collection instead. I had a hankering for a 7-08 single shot, and the Luxus was looking very good. Oh well, maybe in the future. . .

I love their wood, and the design is intriguing, but a little weird with the side cocking lever and exposed hammer (potential for water and dust infiltration?). Hard to assess since I've only seen them in pictures.

pietro
02-23-2015, 12:32 PM

FWIW, my break-open single-shot rifle is a T/C TCR-83 ....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/joel_black/TCR87LS.jpg

Tatume
02-23-2015, 12:36 PM
That's a very nice choice. I wish they still made them, as I too would like to own one. What cartridge is your chambering? What is your accuracy?

snowwolfe
02-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Luxus had a booth at the SCI show earlier this month in Vegas where I handled some of their models. Nice rifles, good wood, seemed to be built pretty well. But all I could think of when handling some of the examples was that Ruger was going to be "re releasing" some of their #1's through Lispeys this year and the price difference between the Ruger and Luxus is huge.
Only the buyer can decide if they are worth it. I did go back to their booth a couple of times. Still on the fence to be honest.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-23-2015, 02:47 PM
I once traded for a collection of single shot rifles and one of them was a German break open in 8.15 x 46R. It was a beautiful rifle with double set triggers and it had an under lever similar to Ruger #1. It looked like it had never been fired.. I dislike break open rifles except for doubles so I sold it for $300. They are a pain to shoot from the bench. .

35 shooter
02-23-2015, 09:38 PM
If that's what i truly wanted and i had the money to burn on it.....
I love the single shots myself, in fact it's all i have right now....a TC Encore. I keep looking for an excuse to get another rifle, but this thing keeps impressing me both in the woods and at the range. Be nice to have a cz550 to go with it though.:grin:

35 shooter
02-24-2015, 01:39 AM
Okay i clicked on their web site.....WOW!! Very nice looking rifles. Wonder how they shoot compared to the ruger #1's?

Nicholas
02-25-2015, 12:31 PM
I recently seriously toyed with the purchase of an 11 S, but ended up buying a very early, rare Ruger No. 1 for my collection instead. I had a hankering for a 7-08 single shot, and the Luxus was looking very good. Oh well, maybe in the future. . .

I love their wood, and the design is intriguing, but a little weird with the side cocking lever and exposed hammer (potential for water and dust infiltration?). Hard to assess since I've only seen them in pictures.

I think the 7-08 is the Lipsey Ruger caliber this year in the light sporter.

gewehrfreund
02-25-2015, 05:04 PM
I think the 7-08 is the Lipsey Ruger caliber this year in the light sporter.

Yep, and I'm considering it, but I have a NIB 7-08 1A from the very limited run done in the late '80s. I hate to be the first one to fire it, but it would be a lot easier than buying a new one just to shoot.

ray h
02-27-2015, 08:35 PM
At one time they had a cheaper model, I bought a 250 Sav and 219 Zipper with spare 22 Hornet barrel. I love mine. I must say my bolt guns are more accurate but I like hunting with a single shot. The young guys that own the plant are simply great people to deal with. I've toured the shop several times.

Tatume
02-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Hi Ray,

The Model 11-S sells for $1800 - $2000, new of course. I just looked on GunsAmerica and it appears that Ruger No. 1 rifles are now selling for $1250. So yes, the Luxus is more than a No. 1, but it's not out of sight.

Like you, I have some very accurate bolt guns, and most of them are magazine guns as well. I almost never use them. The single shot rifles are the only rifles that interest me any more, with the possible exception of a double (with which I have a couple of issues, one is cost and the other is related to sighting arrangements).

Some of my singles are Ruger No. 1 rifles (I'm down to six now), and I like them very much. My favorite hunting rifle of all is a No. 1 International in 270 Winchester. It is deadly accurate with a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x scope (the only variable I'll buy anymore), very light, very short, and very comfortable to carry. The short barrel gives up a little in velocity, but it has plenty to spare to begin with, so I don't care.

I'm still looking at the Luxus. I just stumbled into a T/C TCR-83, so now I have a rifle to keep my attention while I continue to ponder the Luxus.

Take care, Tom

ray h
02-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Tom ( or anyone) if you're ever near Cincinnati, Mt. Orab is 20 miles east on rte 32. They like a heads up before stopping in though. Everything is CNC with final hand fitting. Much more personal tour than you'd ever get from a major company. AND the wood,,,, outstanding blanks everywhere. I had to keep pinching myself to remember my beer budget.

pietro
02-28-2015, 12:17 PM
That's a very nice choice. I wish they still made them, as I too would like to own one. What cartridge is your chambering? What is your accuracy?

Thanx ! I see that you've also grabbed a TCR-83 - I hope you like yours as much as I've liked mine.

This latest TCR is a .22-250, but I've had other TCR's, over the past 25 or so years, with barrels in .30-06, .223, & 12ga - they all exhibited just about the same hunting-grade (as opposed to target-grade) accuracy, just under or over 2" @ 100yds.