PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Bench Build questionier

Just Duke
03-02-2008, 11:36 PM
I have way to much ammo to load on my single stage press so I am selling off rifles and parts and getting several Dillon 650's and 550's (hopefully used if possible.)
So I am building a new bench out of a nice 2 1/2 inch thich by 24 inch by 55 inch piece of solid maple with 4 in. by 4 in. steel welded legs and frame.

What I am wondering is should I build it so I have to sit to reload as I have since 1977 or stand to reload?

What do you guys use?

454PB
03-03-2008, 12:11 AM
I built one of my benches in 1972, and made it tall enough that you have to stand to use it. I did it that way for several reasons, but the main one was so I could back away from it in a hurry if I had to. I've become so used to doing it that way, I can't sit down to load or cast anymore.

The only drawback is that I'm 6 feet tall, and shorter guys (like my son) have trouble with it being so tall.

It does keep the grandkids hands away from things though!

DeanoBeanCounter
03-03-2008, 12:31 AM
I use a Lee hand held sitting. Does that help?
Dean
:-D

garandsrus
03-03-2008, 12:50 AM
I load with a Dillon sitting down... I load shotgun shells with a MEC standing up.

Why are you getting "several" 550's and 650's?

The 550 is very quick for cartridge conversions if you have a separate tool head and powder die for each caliber. You don't need a separate powder measure, although some people have them. Changing primer sizes is very quick and easy also.

The 650 is quite a bit slower to convert, especially if you have to change the primer size. However, it's really nice to use when sizing brass. With the case feed and auto indexing, all you need to do is pull the handle.

I generally load in batches of 100+ (low volume pistol/rifle) to 1000+ (high volume pistol/rifle) each time I set up the press. Loading this way gives you a large batch of identical ammo. It also means that I may not load that caliber again for a couple months or more. Keep in mind that 1000+ reloads can be made in an evening or two!

John

MT Gianni
03-03-2008, 12:55 AM
I sit to reload and stand to pour lead. Gianni

Just Duke
03-03-2008, 01:19 AM
I load with a Dillon sitting down... I load shotgun shells with a MEC standing up.

The 550 is very quick for cartridge conversions if you have a separate tool head and powder die for each caliber. You don't need a separate powder measure, although some people have them. Changing primer sizes is very quick and easy also.

The 650 is quite a bit slower to convert, especially if you have to change the primer size. However, it's really nice to use when sizing brass. With the case feed and auto indexing, all you need to do is pull the handle.

John

I know I just don't want to.

floodgate
03-03-2008, 02:10 AM
DUKE:

I have built several benches over the past forty years or so for casting and reloading as well as general shop work. As advised in the home shop magazines and books, I make them 36" - 40" tall (the general advice is to set the height so, when standing and filing a part in a bench-mouned vise, your elbow is even with the workiece and your forearm is level when holding the file or other tool, so it depends a bit on the size of your vise). I can then either work standing or sitting on a shop stool with a footrest. My stools (I have three in the shop) are about the height of a bar stool, and I have "fine-tuned" the legs so I can slip onto and off the stool without much change in my working level..This is especially helpful when I hand-file saw chains, but also works well with most of my reloading tools. My powder measures and scales are on a small shelf above the bench, just at eyeball height, either sitting or standing.

This bench height is not convenient for bottom-pour casting, as I have to bend down to position the sprue-holes at the pot spigot, but I would be even more uncomfortable having a hot pot of lead at eye height; this is probably why I tend to prefer ladle-pour casting from my 20-lb'er, unless a particular mould insists on my SAECO 10-lb. bottom-pour pot. For those, I just "live with it".

floodgate

MightyThor
03-03-2008, 02:10 AM
I built mine so I can stand then built a stool with a backrest so I can sit as well.

Just Duke
03-03-2008, 02:13 AM
I would like to fulfill my fantasy.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/DILLONFANTASY.jpg

dmftoy1
03-03-2008, 08:12 AM
RCBS Rock Chucker single stage, Dillon 650.

I like to do everything standing up, but I think that's because my job requires me to set 8-10 hours a day. I've often wondered if the guys who sit when they reload have jobs that have them on their feet all day? (I sit when I'm casting)

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

357maximum
03-03-2008, 09:02 AM
I am on my feet at work almost constantly for 14 to 16 hrs, when I load or cast my **** is firmly mounted in a nice comfy office style chair,I do remove the right armrest though, it gets in the way.

garandsrus
03-03-2008, 09:25 AM
I would like to fulfill my fantasy.

Well, that changes everything... Have fun :)

John

johnp
03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I stand or sit on a stool. So I guess I would vote for a taller bench.

Kraschenbirn
03-03-2008, 03:08 PM
I've always built my workbenches at "standing" height and then provided myself with an adjustable-height draftman's stool for use when the task at hand allows me to sit.

Bill

Just Duke
03-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Well, that changes everything... Have fun :)

John

I am really having fantasies about 4 Dillon 650's and the wife is not trying to talk me out of it. She says that sounds like a great idea. :shock:

Adam10mm
03-05-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm 5-10 and my bench is 35" tall. I have an office chair raised up all the way when I load.

Ed Barrett
03-05-2008, 06:34 PM
I like to stand up when I load. I have 3 presses mounted on a high bench. When I cast I like to sit down, I made a bench just for casting. I use a bottom pour pot and set up extra ingots close by and it seems when I get going I usually go for a long time.

Sprue
03-05-2008, 07:19 PM
My bench is built so that I can either stand or sit while reloading. Some days peanuts, some days not.

Just Duke
03-06-2008, 06:22 AM
I ordered 4 of the 650's and they are being shipped as we speak. I hope the fantasy will overide the buyer remorse. I will get pics of the new bench with the Dillon's and post them here.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-06-2008, 07:42 AM
On the bench height:

Due to moving, I have built several benches over the last few years, both for standing and for sitting. What I've finally settled on is a bench where I can sit on a bar stool and be half standing, but supported. That way, if something goes wrong with anything, I can easily back away, but I'm off my feet. Additionally, it's a position that feels more natural than most other positions and allows me to swing the press arm to the lowest position without being bent too far over.

Another thing you might want to think about is storage space for assorted reloading goodis, such as powder, primers, dies, tool heads, etc. etc. Even with dedicated machines, there will be things you'll need to store that won't be on the press.

Finally, make sure you build enough bench top to accommodate a single stage press, scales, trimmers, tumblers and a couple luber/sizers if you're casting boolits. You'll be surprised at how this stuff just grows over the years.

So the bottom line is to think not about what you'll have in the near future, but into the distant future and make sure it's ergonomic for yourself, as you're going to be spending a good bit of time at that bench and you'll want it to fit the way you do things.

Regards,

Dave

DLCTEX
03-06-2008, 10:35 AM
My Benches are for standing ( I'm 6'1) but I keep a tall stool handy for when it starts getting to my back. All casting is done standing, with an exit route cleared ( saw a tin vat explosion in a plant where I once worked). All lube sizing is done sitting on a lower stool to put eyes lower so I can see better to size 22 and 243 boolits. DALE

ddeaton
03-08-2008, 03:59 PM
The only reason I dont like to sit is always bobbing the ol head back and forth watching powder in cases and various other items along the way.

JesterGrin_1
03-08-2008, 07:09 PM
To be honest nobody can give you the answer you are looking for as what it all boils down to is personal taste. But I will give a few thoughts lol.

1. Think how you are honestly doing now physically and any problems that you feel may come along in the future as this will also dictate if you are going to load standing or sitting or god forbid in a wheel chair.

2. For thought no 1 how long do you feel that you will live at your current residence before you may have to change all of your bench set ups for another height.

3. I stand only if I am going to make a few test rounds. But if it is more than a few lets say 10 of one kind then I will set it up and sit to load more.

4. When one does reload you need to maintain as much concentration on the task at hand as you can as it can be life threatening if you mess up or destroy a good fire arm. So one does need to think about it if you stand you will be far more likely to get fatigued faster and thus not maintain as much concentration as may be needed which can cause mistakes of which none of us need. While to sit comfortably increases the time that you may do so with more concentration to make good and safe rounds. Along with maybe a bit more relaxation of which in this day and age we all need.

But those are just my thoughts. :)

Just Duke
03-11-2008, 06:35 PM
John

FANTASY ALMOST FULLFILLED!

4 Dillon 650's, Case feeder, CV-2000 Polisher, RT 1200 Case trimmer and Case Feeder came in today.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/DILLON2.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/DILLON1.jpg

LAH
03-12-2008, 11:38 AM
I load & cast standing..............Creeker

cbrick
03-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Lookin good Duke.

The dog has a very confused look, confused as in "why are you payin attention to this stuff and not me?"

Your bench height will depend entirely on you and your height but if your going to move back and forth between those Dillon's seems your kinda stuck with a confortable standing height. Are you casting and loading on the same bench?

I stand while loading cause its more comfortable for me and I can move around getting & doing "stuff" etc. I cast sitting cause I normally spend far more time casting bullets than loading them. Current setup I load and cast on the same bench (hope that changes soon) and with the pot on the bench its way too low for me sitting on the stool. I built a stand for my Magma pot to raise the spout & mould to near eye level. Something you could consider depending on your bench(s) of course.

Just some thoughts, let us see what you come up with.

Rick