PDA

View Full Version : .357 or .45 Vaquero ?

hylander
02-22-2015, 02:00 AM
Looking at a new Vaquero.
Having a hard time deciding .357 Mag or .45 Colt.
I reload, so ammo is not an issue, however I already load for .38 and .357.
Will be using it for local cast matches and fun.
Will the New Vaquero handle normal factory ammo or just the stuff labeled Cowboy ammo ?
Also is there an option for 45 ACP cylinder for the 45 Colt

jmort
02-22-2015, 02:43 AM
I have had a couple .45 Colt Vaqueros. They can shoot any standard pressure ammunition and can shoot +P to 20 k psi. Can't shoot the "Ruger" only loads. The .357 can shoot any factory ammunition.

DougGuy
02-22-2015, 02:45 AM
If the gun didn't leave the factory as a convertible, Ruger won't fit an ACP cylinder to it.

bruce381
02-22-2015, 03:42 AM
me i would get a caliber I DO NOT LOAD FOR NOW that way i just have to buy new molds etc. so 45 colt

spfd1903
02-22-2015, 04:37 AM
Bought a new vaquero in .45 colt several years ago. Very erratic with the same load and boolit. Had Doug Guy ream the cylinder throats out from .451 to .4526 and the .452 boolits got more consistent. Suspect there is also a constriction at the barrel to frame thread that I will have to attend too. Got the 7 1/2 " barrel. The pistol has handled some stout loads (nothing past the max loads in the manuals). I do like the pistol, it is a simple reliable firearm.

shooting on a shoestring
02-22-2015, 10:19 AM
I have both calibers in New Model Blackhawks.

For fun shooting, it's 357. Why? The 45 is magic. It makes my lead pile disappear!

Its also possible to get the 357 loaded heavy enough to hit the upper limit of fun. The 45 can be loaded past fun.

Now if carrying is in the picture, the 45 is lighter. If critters are are considered, the 45 with full meplat wadcutters cast soft is my choice.

Dale53
02-22-2015, 11:59 AM
I have owned two large frame Vaqueros. My first was a .45 Colt with 4 5/8" barrel. Out of the box, the sights were perfect for windage but it shot low at 25 yards. However, after I chose my bullet and load (I was shooting black powder matches at the time), so it was Lyman's 452664 -a 250 gr RF design- ahead of a case full of Swiss Black Powder. Over three range trips (to avoid removing too much from the front sight) I carefully filed the front sight until it was shooting center at 25 yards. I did a trigger job on the gun and it was a very satisfactory piece.

However, I decided I would do better on the fifty yard matches if I had a longer barrel (fixed sights were mandated). I bought a new Ruger Bisley Vaquero with 5½" barrel. Right out of the box it shot to the sights with the same load. It also shot to the same point with a smokeless load of similar velocity (8.5 grs of Unique). I won a number of matches, both silhouette and NRA score matches, with that revolver and still have it.

Ruger now makes a medium size frame Vaquero. The large frame will take "Ruger Only" loads the medium frame is limited to "Tier Two" (one tier heavier than factory loads) so is NOT a "weak sister".

Ruger's sights on their Vaqueros give an excellent sight picture. Some single action fixed sighted guns have almost impossible sights (1st Generation Colts as an example).

If you are going to compete in Cowboy Action matches the .38/.357 will give you a serious advantage offering much less recoil. For general field use the .45 Colt definitely has the edge with proper loads.

Keep in mind, that once regulated for the sights, it will generally only be regulated for one load. Pick your load first, then regulate (if necessary).

If the revolver is for general use you might want to consider an adjustable sighted Ruger BlackHawk in your barrel length and caliber of choice.

FWIW
Dale53

DougGuy
02-22-2015, 12:13 PM
One of the fun things about a fixed sight SA revolver, is developing loads that shoot to the sights. This is called "bringing the boolit to the sights" and like Dale said, it might be relegated to one load, but I offer that it might be relegated to one boolit weight range, instead of just one load. Boolits of the near weight will spend similar amount of time in the barrel, this is called "dwell time." Loads that shoot fast will leave the muzzle before it has a chance to flip skyward so much and they will hit below where the sights were aimed. Heavier boolits that travel slower spend more time in the barrel, which gives recoil more time to flip the muzzle upward, resulting in the gun shooting to a higher point of impact. The art of mastering a fixed sight revolver starts at the loading bench. There are two ways, pick one load and file the sights to that load, or see how many loads you can get to shoot to where the sights point, without filing. I have a 4 5/8" Vaquero and so far I have 6 loads that need no sight picture compensation, they all shoot to the front sight at 25 yards. Took me about a year to come up with all of them, they are all 300gr to 340gr in weight, and I used varying charges of 2400, LilGun, and H110 to achieve this.

Now, this is a go-to trail gun that you can just grab up and don't have to waste time thinking about where it will shoot. If you need to use it on the fly, it will do it's part without a doubt.

As mentioned earlier, if you want to shoot the heavy for caliber, very powerful Ruger Only loads in .45 Colt, make SURE you get an older model Vaquero, one that has a TWO DIGIT prefix in the serial number! This one will be the original large frame Vaquero made from 1993 to 2005. These are safe with pressures up to 30,000psi.

All of the New Vaquero guns, that have a THREE DIGIT prefix in their serial number are made on the medium frame, and in .45 caliber whether it's ,45 ACP or .45 Colt, can only handle up to .45 ACP +P pressure, which is 23,000psi. However, these are smaller, lighter, the grip frame is smaller, and they handle more like an old Colt. Their fitment is also better than the older Vaquero from the ones I have seen. You will likely have cylinder throats in the .4505" to .451" range so those may need reaming for you to shoot .452" boolits, but the barrel to frame fitment in these guns has been much better with many of them having absolutely ZERO thread choke where the barrel meets the frame. I myself am in the market for a New Vaquero model after working on my customer's guns and seeing how nicely fit they are.

They basically need 3 things to make them as accurate as you could want one to be, and these 3 things are very affordable and easily done. They need cylinder throats reamed to .4525" they need the forcing cones recut to 11° and polished, and they need the trigger return spring swapped out with a Wolff 30oz spring. Now you have 95% of the accuracy of the same gun you would spend a couple hundred dollars getting worked over by a competent smith.

Vulcan Bob
02-22-2015, 12:23 PM
My first reaction is get the .45 Colt! I have two NV's, one in .45 Colt and one in .357 Mag both in blue and 5 1/2" barrels. The .45 Colt NV is a great shooter and so is the .357 Mag. I bought the Magnum with the intent to convert to .44 Special but along came Lipseys and the rest is history. Both NV's came with a way too tall front sight and that is just perfect. You can establish your best load and file down the sight to suit.

robertbank
02-22-2015, 12:48 PM
Ruger makes the 45acp/45Colt combo. I have the Lipsey model and enjoy it. I shoot a lot more 45acp loads in the gun. With the adjustable sights it didn't take me to long to get the settings for two of the more popular loads I use. I only two molds I use in both calibers and have worked on for finer shooting. MY full loads in 45Colt at the distances I might need them for the sights will hardly come into play.so I just spent more time working on my range plinking loads. Fun for sure.

I have a coulple of SAA Uberti's I play with in 357mag that are fun guns I play with at the range. They see mostly 38spl cases though they do quite well with .357 loads even at the upper end of the spectrum load wise.

If you are stuck on the Vaquero then I would tend to stick with the .357mag. It has a little more versatility loading wise with options from mild to wild. 38spl brass is also very inexpensive.

Take Care

Bob

Groo
02-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Groo here
Get the 357, after your done with it,send it off to a Master to customize it.
Mine went to Andy Horvath and is now a 41mag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roberts1
02-22-2015, 04:14 PM
357 will save a little lead. My 45 colt new vaquero seems to prefer heavier bullets 230 grains or so where the 357 will likely shoot 158 grains well. If you plan to shoot it a lot and lead conservation is a thought then there is one argument for the 357. If not then flip a coin heads 45 tails 357...

blackpowder man
02-22-2015, 06:21 PM
I had a .45 new vaquero and it mostly shot left. With my usual .45 loads for multiple rifle and an old ubertl saa, it shot left. BP, yep left. Gunsmith friend said he could fix, but I traded it. I've had a pair a consecutive numbered .44 special lipsey's new vagueros and they shot low. A lot of range time filing and shooting they are now good to go, fromBP in .44 russians to kieth boolits in .44 specials they are great.

bedbugbilly
02-23-2015, 06:08 PM
I have a 357 New Vaquero - 5 1/2" and it shoots great. I (at this time) mainly load 38 Colt Short/Long & 38 Spl. as I have way too many 38s - Ruger, Smiths, Colts, Ubertis

That being said - I'm looking for a 45 Colt and will probably go with a Uberti Cattleman just because I like the old style SAA . . . but I digress . . I like Rugers too . .

It all depends on you . . . if you're bored with the 38s/357 then go with the 45 Colt . . of course you'll need new mold/molds, large pistol primers, brass, dies, etc. so you've got probably a minimum of $100 + to get set up for the 45 Colt. Then, you'll be using more powder and lead as well . . .

If you're O.K. with that . . then you might like the challenge of the new caliber? 38s/357s are fun but every once in a while you need to "shake things up" a little. LOL With the 45 Colt - you can use shorter 45 Schofield casings or even the "45 Special" cowboy casing. If you went with a 44 spl. . . . you have the choice of also using the 44 spl. or 44 Russian casings and I believe 44 Colt as well . . .

Lot's of options out there . . .

Char-Gar
02-23-2015, 06:48 PM
If you are not out to hunt deer and larger game, a 357 Mag will fill all of your needs and be cheaper and more pleasant to shoot, particularly with less than full snort magnum loads.

robertbank
02-24-2015, 02:55 AM
If you are not out to hunt deer and larger game, a 357 Mag will fill all of your needs and be cheaper and more pleasant to shoot, particularly with less than full snort magnum loads.

This for sure. I am testing powder coated bullets right now with my Ruger GP-100 at the upper end of the loading scale. Today after 30 rounds of Chrony work my wrist was sore. It was not pleasant. Shooting 38spl in the gun using 158gr factory type loads is far more enjoyable.

Take Care

Bob

hp246
02-25-2015, 06:39 PM
I believe in the KISS Principle Keep it simple. I shoot CAS using my .45 Colt new vaqueros. Use the same .45 colt in my 73 rifle. Use the same 230 gr. .452 cast bullets in my .45 acp for wild bunch. You are already reloading the .38/.357. Unless you are gonna do CAS and WB stick with the .38/357. Less lead. Less powder.

bigted
02-25-2015, 08:42 PM
I just received unto myself two Colts ... one in the venerable 45 Colt ... the other in 357 mag. the 45 is in 7.5 inch barrel length and the 357 is a 5.5 inch revolver. I loaded the 357 with a max load of 2F GOEX with 22 grains powder under LEE's 158 grain semi wadcutter. very fun to shoot and all I did was to brush off the face of the cylinder to keep runnin thru all 50 rounds with never a wobble.

now the 45 took my 266 grain semi round flatnose in step with a 32 grain charge behind and slipped up a couple times [glad for it as they are tiring to shoot lots of] ... I needed to clean the revolver after 25 rounds and then it ran for another 10 before I gave up with it and took it home for a dismantle and cleaning as well as a trigger smoothing.

overall I would suggest the 357 in a Vaquero as a nice to shoot revolver and sling cheap slugs for as long as you want AND filled with the 22 grains of 2F they really are a blast to shoot. plenty of power for steel im thinkin and the cloud of smoke will make the smile stay put for the entire day.

I also have a 4 5/8ths inch vaquero in the 45 Colt and while it is fun ... and very light to use ... it also kicks the crud outta me but you really know you have fired a revolver when it goes boom.

cant go wrong im thinkin ... however my vote will go for the 357 mag in a thumb buster.

mj2evans
02-26-2015, 05:40 PM
As stated the 45 Colt really cuts into the lead stash. Unless you are shooting HUGE deer the 357 and 180g bullet will be fine. Overall the 45 Colt just costs more to shoot but when pushed (and I do *not* mean magnum level) it has power/performance the 357 cannot match. That said I own both and have carried a 357 in black bear country and did not fell undergunned.

Bottom line ... you need both!

LAH
02-26-2015, 09:19 PM
For local match & fun buy the 38/357.