PDA

View Full Version : Win 94 bargain - maybe....

dikman
02-22-2015, 01:07 AM
We had our first ever firearm swap meet in this State today, so I figured I'd better go along (restricted to firearm licence holders only). Stinking hot day (40*C) - too hot really to be riding a mo'sickle - but I picked up some brass at good prices and a heap of bits and pieces cheap (cleaning jags, brushes, shell-holders for the press, a Lee swivel joint for the powder measure for $1 - so I bought two!).

My club had a table there, and on it was a lever gun - a Win 94, with a price tag of $50!!! We found the guy who had it there and asked if he'd missed out a zero on the price. Turns out he'd had it for a while (got it cheap from his brother) but could never get it to feed the cartridges, so it was essentially a single shot only. I said I'd take it at that price. He asked if I was sure, as he obviously was worried about selling me a potential dud, but I said yep, I was more than happy to play around with it and try and get it working. My Win 92 wouldn't feed either when I got it, but I managed to sort that out.

I figure that it can't be that difficult to sort out, as they're basically a pretty simple mechanism. Should be an interesting project. Oh, he said the barrel is very good, probably the best part of it :lol:. It'll take me a month to get the paperwork through.

So, a good deal? Or not? I know nothing about the model 94.

Edit: forgot to mention it's a 44-40, same as my other one (pity it wasn't a .357).

pietro
02-22-2015, 01:22 AM

AFAIK, the only Winchester Model 94 chambered in .44-40 was the Trails End model - so, IMHO, you might have done well.

If the problem turns out to be the lifter (long an issue for pistol cartridge chambered Model 94's), you might be SOL, though - lifters for those Model 94's are as scarce as hen's teeth.

Michael J. Spangler
02-22-2015, 01:29 AM
If it is the lifter it could be an easy fix.
Look up some info on it and info on the marlin jam. You will find plenty. I'm sure it's similar.
My marlin had some double feeds from time to time and all I did was tighten the screws on the receiver and it was fixed.
I did go back and do the prescribed fix for it to make sure I don't have issue in the future. A light stoning and I was done.
From what I remeber some of the internal parts wear on each other and cause the lifter to allow a double feed. If it's worn that far I'm sure you could build the area up a touch with welding and file it back into shape.

Duckiller
02-22-2015, 06:04 AM
What MJS said. I have 94, Ted Williams actually, and it was mostly a single shot. replaced the lifter and associated spring and once again it is a repeater. Best way to check it out is to find a 94 that works and see what it does that yours doesn't do. Mine got fixed for $60.00us. You got a deal.

dikman
02-22-2015, 06:31 AM
Thanks guys, based on what you've said I've been doing some reading (lots, actually - I really luv the 'net!) and it seems to be a common problem with the 94's. Due to our laws it'll be a while before I can get it, but it doesn't sound like too much of a problem 'cos now I know where to look.

Speedo66
02-22-2015, 06:36 PM
For AU$50 (US$39 at today's rate) I'd say you got a hell of a deal even if it's always a single shot. :shock:

Good luck with it. Pictures are a must when it arrives.

dikman
02-22-2015, 07:59 PM
I forgot to mention that the front sight will probably need replacing (not original, I think) and there's no rear sight. It has part of the side-mounted frame for a peep sight, so I'll have to do something about that (which won't be cheap, as the bits will probably have to come from the US) but yeah, for $50 it should be a bit of fun to sort it out.

That's assuming the police approve my purchase - because I already have a lever gun in that calibre they may refuse it. Unlikely, but given the present climate quite possible!!

Artful
02-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Still sounds like a bargain to me. :razz:

hpdrifter
02-22-2015, 10:39 PM
sounds like a good $50 chance to me!!

bob208
02-23-2015, 05:54 PM
good price even if you have to make the part with a file. the thing that gets me is the begging the police for permission to buy it. but then some of our states are no better.