PDA

View Full Version : .22 lr crimp dies

TES
02-21-2015, 11:13 PM
I've got buckets of .22 lr rounds that are scheduled for pull down and the only reason they are being pulled is that they do not have a crimp on them or the cup is not rolled properly. Anyone know where I can get a crimp die for this round? Just saying....

TES

maxreloader
02-21-2015, 11:15 PM
??? not sure what you have there! what's the headstamp/Mgf?

TES
02-21-2015, 11:20 PM
"c" "f" "R"...They all seem to be of the same manufacture.

maxreloader
02-23-2015, 03:41 PM
I'm scratching my head... no clue.

ReloaderFred
02-23-2015, 05:51 PM
What most people do to crimp heeled bullets is take a pair of pliers and grind them to make a hand held crimping die. It usually involves drilling a hole the case will fit in, but leaving a lip at the end of the hole and machining it enough to make a reliable crimp at the end of the case, and into the bullet.

Hope this helps.

Fred

shooter93
02-23-2015, 08:15 PM
I don't know if it would work with a 22 lr but I loaded heeled bullets for a friends 310 Martini. We took a Lee die and cut of the die and the insert a little at a time until we were able to crimp without any damage. It worked very well.

TES
02-23-2015, 08:26 PM
screw it I'll just sell them as seconds "Buyer beware".

Surculus
02-23-2015, 08:30 PM
Go to the electronics section of the hardware store, find a pair of crimping pliers [they usually have several size holes for wire-stripping & crimping of connectors.] You may need to grind out one of the holes a bit w/ a dremel to get it to the size you want, but it'll do the job.

TES
02-23-2015, 08:31 PM
There is like 6 or 7 thousand of these....I won't live long enough to hand crimp them.

Geezer in NH
02-23-2015, 10:32 PM
Im just buy the ammo that shoots the best in my rifle or handgun

texassako
02-23-2015, 10:39 PM
You could get one of the Lee .22 caliber rifle factory crimp dies(several available) and turn a post so the cartridge goes up in the die to the right spot before the ram pushes the collet closed. It should go pretty quick doing it that way.

TES
02-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Yea but what shell holder would you use...I'm guessing you would have to get one made that would not set off the cartridge should you jamb one up...sounds dangerous.

groovy mike
02-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Here:

http://22lrreloader.com/

texassako
02-24-2015, 11:49 AM
Yea but what shell holder would you use...I'm guessing you would have to get one made that would not set off the cartridge should you jamb one up...sounds dangerous.

You don't even need a shellholder, just a post similar to the ones used in Lee push through sizing dies. It is how I crimp heeled .32 and .38 Colts. There is nothing pushing or pulling on the cartridge itself. The collet pushes in from the sides. You can even stick the cartridge in the top of the die bullet down and crimp it. I do that with fat heeled bullet 10.35 Italian Vetterli cartridges in a skinny 405 Win FCD.

mdi
02-24-2015, 02:27 PM
I gotta go back to the beginning, what's wrong with these cartridges? "Cup is not rolled properly"? Are you saying the roll crimp on the case mouth is not enough? Where did you get this many "bad" rounds?

TES
02-24-2015, 03:26 PM
The crimp at the case mouth did not get put on at all...It's not every round but a few per hand full. Its like the die backed off. They were sent to be pulled down vs re ran. I am imagining due to safety issues. So I was told I could have them at a really fair price.

gwpercle
02-24-2015, 05:19 PM
What most people do to crimp heeled bullets is take a pair of pliers and grind them to make a hand held crimping die. It usually involves drilling a hole the case will fit in, but leaving a lip at the end of the hole and machining it enough to make a reliable crimp at the end of the case, and into the bullet.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Modify one of the cheap wire cut/strip/crimp combo tools, would be easier to modify than pliers . They would be the right thickness , just have to get the correct diameter. Then just crimp the bullet in place with the pliers/crimp tool, no need for press or holder of any kind.
Gary

mdi
02-25-2015, 12:17 PM
If the bullets don't fall out I'd shoot them in my Contender, or a single shot bolt gun. I'd also try some through my other .22s to see if there is any problems with "set back" when feeding. If the bullets are really loose they may not stay in place when fed through a magazine (tube mag. on a bolt gun) or in a semi-auto. But I'm sure they would work OK in my Single Six...