PDA

View Full Version : Using just the Old fashioned Lee Loaders.

vmathias
02-21-2015, 05:45 PM
Call me crazy but I have reloaded on both presses and the Lee Loaders and seem to like the Lee loaders better. I do not load Thousands of rounds and basically only load what I need for occasional plinking and hunting. Anyone share this method of reloading to presses?

orbitalair
02-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Ok, you're crazy.

Yeah I like a LL sometimes, when I am only making10-20 rds for the bolt guns.
Its far easier to setup, and get going, and is a great stress reliever type of task.

EDG
02-21-2015, 07:39 PM
There are no Lee or Wilson loaders for many of the rifles that I shoot.
I do not use a Lee tool very often but I have a few.
I do have a number of the Wison tools. They are a high precision tool that preceeded Lee by a couple of decades.

vmathias
02-21-2015, 08:50 PM
There are no Lee or Wilson loaders for many of the rifles that I shoot.
I do not use a Lee tool very often but I have a few.
I do have a number of the Wison tools. They are a high precision tool that preceeded Lee by a couple of decades.

Hmm? I was under the impression that Lee pioneered them.

ascast
02-21-2015, 08:55 PM
I use some Lyman rigs for shotgun, very similar to the Lee. I like using the old Belding & Mull press.

GhostHawk
02-21-2015, 11:04 PM
I have been known to use Lee Loader in my 7.62x54r for developing loads.

Granted once I learned about imperial sizing wax my last real excuse for using the lee loader pretty much evaporated.

Most of what I do is on a lee hand press, the quick change model. I prefer it for most things as I can sit and watch a Youtube video while sizing bullets, resizing cases, etc.

Lead Fred
02-21-2015, 11:16 PM
I have a lee classic loader for every caliber I reload for. Most of my 45/70 are done with the loader

RogerDat
02-21-2015, 11:42 PM
I like loading with the LL it is fiddly and all that but relaxing. Well relaxing with that little touch of excitement if I set off a primer. My problem with them is they cost as much as a set of dies which I guess makes sense sort of, because they do the same job but still the few I would like to get keep losing out to purchase of actual dies or molds due to the price.

I took a second hand stool and built a little pounding table so I guess I like them ;-)

EDG
02-22-2015, 07:59 AM
http://www.lewilson.com/history.html

L.E.(Sam) Wilson (1895-1985) started building loading tools in 1927.
I think Wilson pioneered tool and die maker quality in loading tools.
Lee is sort of a newbie in comparison.

Hmm? I was under the impression that Lee pioneered them.

Greg_R
02-22-2015, 09:03 AM
I very much enjoy the Lee Loaders. My favorite way to load.

jcwit
02-23-2015, 01:56 AM
I size with the Lee loader using a Sinclair arbor press.
I then prime with the old style Lee hand primers that have the screw in shell holders.
I then charge the case and seat the bullet & crimp. I use a machined spacer so the crimp is the same for each case. This is for rifle calibers.

Pistol calibers are just crimped.

I like this form of reloading even tho I have more than a few presses I've acquired over the years, it's just plain relaxing. And at my age I'm no longer in a great hurry.

Jack Beauregard
02-23-2015, 02:12 AM
I have a Lee Breech Lock Challenger. Just got it but have yet to put it to work. Sounds like they are a favored press with a lot of you. Hopefully I will like it as much as you all do. Seems that the quick change bushings with the integral locking collar should work pretty well too. (I have a few) Looking forward to it.

EDG
02-23-2015, 01:02 PM
That is my style with either the Lee or the Wilson tools.

I size with the Lee loader using a Sinclair arbor press.
I then prime with the old style Lee hand primers that have the screw in shell holders.

1Shirt
02-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Many, many years ago a few of us in the squadron that I was in, all shot 20g. About 4 of us bought 20g. Lee Loaders, a few weeks before dove season. We set up a sort of Rube Goldberg production line, and turned out a very respectable quantity of dove and quail loads. Enough that none of us had to buy factory ammo that season. Still have mine, and once in awhile still use it.
1Shirt!

mdi
02-23-2015, 02:23 PM
I started reloading in 1969 with a Lee Loader, one pound of Bullseye, 100 generic lead bullets, 100 CCI primers, and a bunch of range pick-up brass. Oh yeah, and a plastic mallet. Today I have 5 Lee Loaders along with 4 presses, mebbe 14 die sets, and a half ton of assorted scales, powder measures, tools etc. Occasionally I'll get out one of my Lee Loaders (most often the .38 Special set) and pound out a box of ammo. Most of the time I'll tell myself that I'm using a Lee Loader because I don't want to change over one of my presses, or reset a powder measure, but mostly I think I just like them! I only have primer "pops" with my .44 Magnum set (I've had to change my panties more than once), but if I'm careful I can pound in some primers without a surprise. I have also found that a dead blow hammer works quite well and my arbor press takes most of the effort out of using a Lee Loader.

Lee Loaders are especially good for a low tech., quiet and satisfying afternoon...:cool:

W.R.Buchanan
02-23-2015, 04:04 PM
The Lee Loader was not a new idea as EDG stated above Wilson preceded them by decades.

However what Lee did accomplish was to make the tools "affordable" to anyone. My first Lee Loader (1971)cost $9.95 and still has the price sticker on the box! Now they are like $35.

Therein lies the niche that Lee fulfills in the market,,, They make the most affordable reloading tools out there.

Some will argue the quality of Lee Tools, and in some cases they are right. However the vast majority of what they make is serviceable and will produce ammunition as good or better than any other brand, and as such deliver good value for your money.

The list of people who agree with this statement here,,,, is very long!

Randy