PDA

View Full Version : New Revolver break in?

azcoyhunter
03-02-2008, 09:59 PM
This is my first NEW Revolver.

Ruger .454 Casull

I find that the more I shoot it, the easier it is to shoot.

The first mabey 20 rounds the cylinder would bind and not rotate when I pulled the happer back, but the more I shoot it the smoother it works.

Is this normal?

My Glock 30 shot the same new as it does now.

Is this a revolver issue?

Clint

45r
03-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I would have it checked out by a gunsmith.He can tell you if it needs to be sent back to Ruger or fix it and charge Ruger for it if he is factory authorized.It might be something simple or might not,I wouldn't want to take chances with the high pressure loads in 454 casull.

TCLouis
03-02-2008, 10:37 PM
The cylinder barrel clearance is set so tight that the cylinder drags on the back of the barrel. At first I was very concerned how medium hot loads were affecting the SRH to where it was binding. Once I found the cause I was happy cause tight tolerances mean good things!

It sometimes becomes an issue when I lay down a couple of hundred rounds in a setting, but a little brushing on the face of the cylinder with a brass brush every once in a while keeps the gun ticking.

454PB
03-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Sometimes new guns contain crud and machining debris that causes problems.

Spray some Gunscrubber into the front of the cylinder at the ejector rod. After it spins freely, add some lube. My Ruger SRH only has .003 barrel cylinder gap and functions well, but as TCLouis said, you need to keep the cylinder face clean.

44man
03-03-2008, 08:28 AM
As everyone knows, I use only STP for cylinders and ratchets. Don't shoot the gun when dry. STP keeps working even when real dirty. Just a drop is all thats needed.
It keeps working in my cap and ball for the whole day too.

GSPKurt
03-03-2008, 11:14 PM
This is my first NEW Revolver.

Ruger .454 Casull

Clint

I have the SRH with a 9.5" barrel. It's a handful with factory loads, eh?