PDA

View Full Version : Question about a boolit's reputation.............

Knarley
02-21-2015, 03:45 PM
I bought a mould years ago, I knew it was for a .45 cal "buff" gun, but that's about it.
Turns out it is a Lyman 457193BV. It's a 405 gr. greaser single cav.
Does this boolit have a reputation for carrying enough lube with it, or should one grease cookie this right off the bat?
I'll be starting with pure lead & SPG,powder charge yet to be determined.
I'm wanting to start using this one, as I'll be saving 90gr. of lead per shot over the Lee 500 gr. that I have been launching. ( And a little shoulder)

Knarley

Don McDowell
02-21-2015, 04:22 PM
Cast it from 20-1 and load it over a .030 fiber wad and 70 grs of 2f black you should be good to go.

Chill Wills
02-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Lyman 457193BV. It's a 405 gr. greaser single cav.
Does this boolit have a reputation for carrying enough lube with it, or should one grease cookie this right off the bat?
Knarley

The answer to that rests with what fouling control you will be using between shots?
What your accuracy needs are and how many shots to intend to shoot if no fouling control us used?

Don is 100% correct assuming the above fouling control and he is sure right about using some alloy of lead rather than pure Pb. 20/1 or something close would be my first choice.

Knarley
02-21-2015, 05:35 PM
I was under the impression if the boolit carried enough lube, no other fouling measures needed to be taken.
The fouling being soft, it was carried out the barrel. I take it, I miss understood something.
Also where does one acquire tin?

Thanks,
Knarley

country gent
02-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Fouling will remain in the barrel the trick is to keep it soft and workable. A blow tube puts moisture from your breath into the brrel helping to keep fouling soft. wiping between shots removes the fouling and may help to maintain bore conditions better. On my 45-90 with greasers ( 535 grn postell) with no fouling control loading after 3-4 shots may require a lever assist tool. With the blow tube and 2-3 good long slow breaths loading is thumb push thru the 12-13 shots fired in a string. I use SPG or a mixture of emmerts I make with great results. In hot dry conditions once the fouling gets hard its a downhill spiral until you can clean again. Hard to explain but you can feel the diffrence loading when lube fouling control isnt right, when all is good its just a smooth push with little force needed, when not right more force is needed for each round and its a grity sticky feeling push

Don McDowell
02-21-2015, 06:40 PM
You can get tin from about any outfit selling certified pure lead, rotometals comes to mind. It's not cheap, about 19$ a lb last I looked. You can also use the tin solder sold in hardware stores, but I believe that's even more expensive?

Buffalo Arms has about the best price going at the moment for 20-1 alloy.

Knarley
02-21-2015, 09:02 PM
You can get tin from about any outfit selling certified pure lead, rotometals comes to mind. It's not cheap, about 19$ a lb last I looked. You can also use the tin solder sold in hardware stores, but I believe that's even more expensive?

Buffalo Arms has about the best price going at the moment for 20-1 alloy.
Thank you Sir,
20:1 is on the way...............from Buffalo Arms.

Knarley

Don McDowell
02-21-2015, 09:18 PM
You're quite welcome.
Might make brownie points with your mail carrier tho and tell em you got a heavy box coming.. It takes both our mail carrier (she probably weighs 80 lbs) and the postmistress to load a box into the carrier's jeep. I try to not leave the house until about 830 if I'm expecting something like that cuz Cec will call and say I got a heavy one, meet me at the mailbox about 9 30 LOL

Knarley
02-21-2015, 10:47 PM
O.K. With that taken care of,
I take it that with even vast amounts of lube, one will also be needing "soot" control while shooting of some sort.
So in essence it doesn't really matter how much lube a boolit carries any way?
I DO have a blow tube, and a wide range of ram-rods. ( I be a muzzle stuffer too)
I was hoping to be able to forgo that aspect.

Keith Andersen
02-21-2015, 11:04 PM
Knarley

One thing you want to keep in mind and that is, the depth of the lube grooves are not as beneficial leaving lube in the bore as is the width is.
A shallow wide groove leaves more lube then a narrow deep groove.

Don McDowell
02-21-2015, 11:52 PM
I DO have a blow tube, and a wide range of ram-rods. ( I be a muzzle stuffer too)
I was hoping to be able to forgo that aspect.

If you want to shoot with consistant accuracy you will need to discover your rifle and loads favored fouling control. Be it blowtubing or wiping between shots, fouling control of some sort has to happen if accuracy beyond a couple of rounds is what you are after.

Knarley
02-22-2015, 09:50 AM
Knarley

One thing you want to keep in mind and that is, the depth of the lube grooves are not as beneficial leaving lube in the bore as is the width is.
A shallow wide groove leaves more lube then a narrow deep groove.
That I did not know...........

Knarley
02-22-2015, 09:53 AM
If you want to shoot with consistant accuracy you will need to discover your rifle and loads favored fouling control. Be it blowtubing or wiping between shots, fouling control of some sort has to happen if accuracy beyond a couple of rounds is what you are after.
Well then,
I guess my rifle and I are going to have to spend some "Bonding" time at the range and have a long talk. :bigsmyl2:

Thanks,

Knarley

Don McDowell
02-22-2015, 10:09 AM
Yes, you'll need to do that for sure. If I understood right from one of your previous posts, you're interested in attending some of the gong matches? You will need an average of 2 moa accuracy from your rifle. That will take a lot of quality time with your rifle and spotter.

bigted
02-22-2015, 10:37 AM
that is a thing that I missed which is ...[what use will you be wanting to accomplish with your rifle?]. thanks Don for clearing that up as there are two or three diff ways to skin a pooch depending on what is going to need to be the primary use.

when I lived in Alaska, I wanted a capability of shooting 5 or more in an accurate string when out in the brush as in summer the grizz take a narrow view of folks invading their territory. this and the winter shooting I liked to do in pretty cold environment tasked me to find a way to shoot my favorite BP loads and have no need to swipe the bore between shots for the obvious reasons.

there I experimented with a duplex load [using a very small amount of smokeless powder under the blackpowder main charge] that was very positive in the search of what I had as a need ... this for MY criteria alone ... and it worked out very well indeed. I was enabled to use my fav BP and still have the ability to shoot up to 20 rounds in a very accurate fashion without the need of any fouling control ...

now having said this I need to rectify that this is NOT a popular endeavor ... and if pursued and talked about here ... will garnish some unpleasant posts that will have the real need of your farsighted and fortified constitution to withstand the sometimes unpleasant comments from some corners here.

this practice has no grounded use in the ways the ODG's did things ... nor will it be allowed in most competitions. it would be merely a personal pursuit of a way to get many rounds downrange with no fouling control needed ... such as in a hunting situation ... however there is no need for this in my estimation if there is no real danger involved in your hunting needs. the ODG's managed to get a bunch of dead bison killed with no duplex involved [cause there were no smokeless powder to accomplish it with] ... so there ways to manage the fouling were well documented and followed to this day by dedicated fellers such as those that hang out here.

good luck with your endeavors and please do report back with both written posts and photo's whenever possible.

also a warm welcome to the forum.

Don McDowell
02-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Ted, absolutely there's a need for different types of loads in different circumstances, but accuracy is , or should be at the top of the list each and every time.

Knarley
02-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Yes, you'll need to do that for sure. If I understood right from one of your previous posts, you're interested in attending some of the gong matches? You will need an average of 2 moa accuracy from your rifle. That will take a lot of quality time with your rifle and spotter.
The matches will be 10 shots, on the clock. Side matches at SASS shoots.

country gent
02-27-2015, 02:27 PM
A good spotter can be a big plus with where shots are going any pattern to them and reading wind seeing changes in conditions . A person who knows spotting coaching constantly on the spotting scope can see alot in the mirage and where the bullets are going. Learning to "call" your shots helps the spotter alot also. Diffrent lubes, powder charges granulations, weather conditions are require slightly diffrent fouling control methods or aplication.

Gunlaker
02-27-2015, 02:36 PM
How long is the clock? In silhouette I wipe between shots and get two or three sighters, plus 5 for score in well under the 7 minute time for the first bank. I generally even have a little time to wait for a wind condition to settle. I think when you get it right, wiping is faster than blow tubing.

Chris.

Don McDowell
02-27-2015, 02:42 PM
To further on Chris's post, along with probably as fast if not faster than a blowtube ( provided you have your stuff lined out ahead of time) wiping will provide you a more consistant bore condition in hurried conditions. One of the things that you don't want to do in a timed event is let the clock hurry you.

Knarley
02-27-2015, 05:12 PM
How long is the clock? In silhouette I wipe between shots and get two or three sighters, plus 5 for score in well under the 7 minute time for the first bank. I generally even have a little time to wait for a wind condition to settle. I think when you get it right, wiping is faster than blow tubing.

Chris.
10 shots, on a timer. Fastest time is tie breaker. So..............Chop chop!!

Gunlaker
02-27-2015, 08:12 PM
10 shots, on a timer. Fastest time is tie breaker. So..............Chop chop!!

Very interesting. Sounds like a challenge.

Chris.

Knarley
02-27-2015, 08:51 PM
Very interesting. Sounds like a challenge.

Chris.
One starts at the bottom of a hill, as does the timer. Up the hill we go.........
Ya get to where the shooting stations are, usually two,and fire at buffalo shaped gongs that are positioned around a water hole.
They are at different distances,( which is a secret) some are hard to find, others not so much. I can't remember, but there are between 10 & 15 targets to hit.
Who ever hits the most wins, in a tie, whom ever is quickest. It's a hoot.

Knarley