PDA

View Full Version : Stuck case!!!!

3jimbo3
02-21-2015, 12:22 PM
Ok, I'm reloading some 22-250 with my RCBS dies. While starting my run about 12 -15 cases into it, bam! I pulled the bottom ring off the case. So here I am with a stuck case and no way of getting it out. I go online to order a stuck case puller (after years of reloading, being lucky and not getting one stuck) to find they are quiet expensive for what you get. Luckily I found a description of the components that make up the kit. So I go into my shop and dug up a spare tap, drill bit, quarter inch bolt, and an old s&k socket. Ten minutes later…….I'm back to punching out 22-250 coyote stoppers. For free! Sometimes it definitely pays just to look around at what you have laying around. Plus with the $20 savings, thats more shooting, casting, or what ever.

02-21-2015, 12:37 PM
Good to know, never stuck a case in many years of reloading, but... it can happen and it's good to know a little googlefu and creativity in the shop may rescue you from the creek!

Dale in Louisiana
02-21-2015, 07:26 PM
I was going to post the solution you discovered on your own.

Don't you feel even a little bad to not fork over twenty bucks for the official stuck case remover?

dale in louisiana

3jimbo3
02-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Well I did at first and then I thought about it…….. and bought some brass. Problem solved.:bigsmyl2:

Steve77
02-21-2015, 10:44 PM
The first time it happened to me, I remembered reading about the shop built case remover on the web, I found the thread and voila, back in business in no time. On a Sunday evening there was no other way to save my reloading session. I have used it a few times since.

salpal48
02-21-2015, 10:51 PM
No matter how many years your loading and what experience you have. There is always a need for the remover. . It's always when you least expect it.

triggerhappy243
02-22-2015, 04:29 AM
use a little more case lube.

Janoosh
02-22-2015, 08:39 AM
Next time, just put the die with the stuck case in the freezer. This really works as brass and steel have different rates of contraction when cold.

3jimbo3
02-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Next time, just put the die with the stuck case in the freezer. This really works as brass and steel have different rates of contraction when cold.

Good to know, I will try this as well.

Hogdaddy
02-22-2015, 12:52 PM

^^^^^^^^^This is spot on ; ) ^^^^^^^^^^^
H/D

lightman
02-22-2015, 01:18 PM
I've only stuck a few cases in my years of reloading. The first was pre-internet, and I had never seen a stuck case remover, did not figger it out on my own, and bought one! Yeah, after seeing it I had everything in the shop that was needed. The good side is that it came in a die box that makes it easy to store and to locate.

It happens to a lot of us, sooner or later. You get in a hurry, or get in cruse control mode, and miss lubing a case. Then you pull the rim off! I think mine was a military 30-06 fired in a 1919 Browning, that required a ton of ump on the press handle. Anyway, Congrats on your Googlefu and ingenuity.

country gent
02-22-2015, 01:34 PM
When I made my remover set up I was lucky in that I had a .005 undersized tap 1/4 28 to use in it. Freezing czn help alot as can cycling it over several days the contractions seem to work the case out some. Also soaking for a few hours with a good copper solvent can help break the bond between die and case. Its a pain when it happens and can really become an issue at times

triggerhappy243
02-22-2015, 02:38 PM
now that i think about it, in all the years i have been reloading, i never did get a case stuck.... came close, but never pulled a rim off. i only use rcbs case lube and have developed a "feel" for the right amount of case lube. i cannot speak for the other case lubes and have not heard what other lubes contribute to stuck cases. this might be another good thread.