PDA

View Full Version : Glow-Bugs

depoloni
02-21-2015, 12:57 AM
Did some searching, hope I'm not bringing up something I missed that's been run through time and again.

I did some playing around with my powder-coating tonight, and although one would have to hit the clip for several minutes with a flashlight it sure seems that these would be visible going downrange at dusk at 100 yards or so...

Admittedly, it's a little extra hassle. And I clearly haven't gotten the over-layer coating evenly done, might have to ES-gun them. But with about 5 seconds with a mag-lite and on the first 'experimental' try these held their glow easily for about 5-6 minutes before starting to dim. Thoughts?

MaLar
02-21-2015, 02:51 AM
Cool I'd like to be there when you shoot some.

Beagle333
02-21-2015, 09:21 AM
I have never used any of this, but it looks cool.

http://www.technoglowproducts.com/green-glow-in-the-dark-powder-coating/

depoloni
02-21-2015, 03:44 PM
That is precisely the stuff Beagle.

It doesn't glow much with a plain coating, but does rather well when applied over a white basecoat. Getting an even layer on top of the white that doesn't make it too thick to load/shoot well, while still giving enough coverage to glow well, is going to be the trick I think.

Beagle333
02-21-2015, 03:48 PM
They do look pretty awesome!

huntrick64
02-24-2015, 09:06 AM
I might have to go ahead and buy some of that glow-in-the-dark stuff for my fishing jig heads!

Stilly
02-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Did some searching, hope I'm not bringing up something I missed that's been run through time and again.

I did some playing around with my powder-coating tonight, and although one would have to hit the clip for several minutes with a flashlight it sure seems that these would be visible going downrange at dusk at 100 yards or so...

Admittedly, it's a little extra hassle. And I clearly haven't gotten the over-layer coating evenly done, might have to ES-gun them. But with about 5 seconds with a mag-lite and on the first 'experimental' try these held their glow easily for about 5-6 minutes before starting to dim. Thoughts?

I made some of these up in the past when I had just found it on fleBay. But I found it at $15/LB and tried it out. They sell small amounts there and in multiple colors AND even say they are for fishing jigs, but ymmv. I looked for about a week and finally jumped on the one that popped up for $15. He had more of it too, but that was about almost 8 months ago.

It was not too bad but the problem is (and after thinking of it, I think it might be a bit of an issue) that the part of the boolit that you see is the rear, well, unless you are assembling your loads at the range, how are you going to get any light onto the back/bottom of the boolit?

My instructions said that in order to apply it properly I needed to half-cure (whatever that means) the first coat and then full cure the GITD coating.

I just look at it this way, I am the only guy on my block with GITD boolits... ;)

http://www.stillyvision.com/files/cg/gitd.gif

coffeeguy
02-24-2015, 08:45 PM
Nice pics! I've got some from Bass Pro Shop which is sold for fishing jigs...Spike-It brand, though I think they sell Pro-Tec brand now. Not sure about the half-cure, full-cure thing; IIRC my instructions for the fishing jigs say to heat the jig with a lighter, swish it through the PC (it sticks and flows a little bit) then oven-bake...But if you're PC-ing with ES, airsoft, Piglet or whatever one bake should do it! Hmm...I wonder if you were to PC some buckshot, load them using a clear/translucent hull, what the results would be like!

depoloni
03-05-2015, 12:29 AM
Just an update. Figured out that mixing the glow stuff with a bit of white and doing one coat not only leaves a more reasonable (thinner) coating, but it glows better. No rocket science, but at least I'm a 'gent. As in dili-gent, if not intelli-gent :p

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=132788&d=1425528757
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=132787&d=1425528733

RP
03-08-2015, 01:13 AM
Those do have a Kool factor maybe Zombie night killers.

MikeBitzenburger
03-08-2015, 09:33 PM
Can you actually see them zombie coon killers in flight?

depoloni
03-11-2015, 06:39 PM
I've yet to have the opportunity to try them out in low light. They shoot OK, same as the other colors I have.
Eventually this spring I'll get away up north where nobody'll care if I light up the berm a little after dark. I'll definitely give a heads up either way once I'm able to see for myself.

Smoke4320
03-19-2015, 04:09 PM
keep in mind if YOU are doing the shooting all you will see is the bullet base :)

HarryT
03-19-2015, 05:04 PM
If you coat the base of the bullet the gun powder flash should make it glow.

freebullet
03-19-2015, 05:40 PM
I'm in awe of the free time you fellers have.

Thanks for sharing, I bet that would be interesting at night. Maybe subs would make a show from the side view.