PDA

View Full Version : Commercial #1

Bzcraig
02-20-2015, 10:08 PM
I was at the LGS this afternoon and as usual I take a gander at the powder they do have. Slowly but surely many powders are starting to show up mostly for rifle. What I did see today was 4lbs of Commercial 1 'pistol and shotgun powder.' The price was $122.95 which works out to $33.25/lb out the door, which seems a bit high for a surplus powder. I did buy a set of dies so I asked the girl at the counter about the load data and she handed me a sheet with the data on it. It is a pull down powder and though she said it may be military she did not know for sure. Does anyone have any experience with this? A pdf attachment of the load data sheet is below. It lists 9mm, 357mag, 40 S&W, 45acp, and 44mag.

twc1964
02-20-2015, 11:18 PM
Im not sure but i think i read somewhere its csb-1 from europe. Same thing r.i.o uses in their shotshells. Again not sure. Its not pull down but new stuff if im right.

runfiverun
02-21-2015, 01:41 AM
Looks close to unique to me.

TES
02-22-2015, 09:15 PM
CSB-1 Maxam Powder out of Spain.....It is great powder and we use it commercially in all of our ammo as do all of the other commercial outfits around here. I will not be going back to other powders even if they do come back in steady supply. I'm pretty sure I can get you a better deal on it....34.00 sounds high. If in fact you are getting pull down CSB-1 I can get you new manufacture all day long.

Use Hodgdon Universal Data for your loads....It is what we use....just use the starting load and work up. I have loaded about 100k rounds with it in 9,40,45,38,357...works great.

tazman
02-22-2015, 10:25 PM
I was at the LGS this afternoon and as usual I take a gander at the powder they do have. Slowly but surely many powders are starting to show up mostly for rifle. What I did see today was 4lbs of Commercial 1 'pistol and shotgun powder.' The price was $122.95 which works out to $33.25/lb out the door, which seems a bit high for a surplus powder. I did buy a set of dies so I asked the girl at the counter about the load data and she handed me a sheet with the data on it. It is a pull down powder and though she said it may be military she did not know for sure. Does anyone have any experience with this? A pdf attachment of the load data sheet is below. It lists 9mm, 357mag, 40 S&W, 45acp, and 44mag.

That data sheet is the exact same data sheet that is distributed with CSB-1 powder from Hi-Tech Ammunition. Looks like you might want to shop around for a better price.

TCLouis
02-23-2015, 08:55 PM
TES

Do you mind giving some "typical" velocities with powder?

OR

It so close to Universal that we can assume approximate equal velocities.

tazman
02-23-2015, 10:55 PM
There are a couple of threads on this site that have data for CSB-1 data posted for a number of cartridges. Just do a search for CSB-1 and you'll find them.

TES
02-24-2015, 11:19 AM
TES

Do you mind giving some "typical" velocities with powder?

OR

It so close to Universal that we can assume approximate equal velocities.

I mean with in 5 to 10 fps of universals published data. Just use starting loads and work up to where you want to be...this is great powder.

jim8115
02-25-2015, 08:59 PM
I have 30 lbs of it. I have worked up lloads for 9mm, 40, 38, and a mild ( good short barrel) 357 load. I also Will stick with it. I know that like any bulk powder, it will have bigger lot-to-lot variance than cannisters , but thats why I bought 30 lbs. of same lot. Mine runs almost identical to w231, for what it is worth, and that is comparing it side by side with a chrono .

Lloyd Smale
02-26-2015, 09:12 AM
probably the same stuff as the old pr200 we used to get for 50 bucks per 5lb keg

sargenv
03-04-2015, 12:08 PM
As I understand it, you may want to use data from International Clays when loading for shotshell.. I used Universal data for the 20 guage and they seemed a little bit warm...