PDA

View Full Version : Savage 375 Ruger

collyer
02-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Bought me a new Savage 375 Ruger Alaskan Brush. They were advertised on the Savage web site with a 1/14 twist barrel. Well they have now changed their web site to 1/12 after me calling them and asking them to exchange my 1/12 for the 1/14 they advertised on their web site. They informed me they never made a 1/14 and it as a misprint. So far they have not made a decision if they will do anything at all. The reason I bought the Savage was for the 1/14 which really seems to no concern to Savage. I get the feeling they just figure oh well.:-( Any one else buy one of these.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-20-2015, 11:16 PM
collier,

Enjoy that 375 Ruger!

I suspect it will be a good one and I'd think you might be overly concerned about the difference between 1/14 and 1/12.

In the books I have just checked, all the .375s are listed with the 1/12 twist rate.

Likely far more important with this cartridge would be the same as with many of the recent new cartridges including some of the Winchester and Remington short magnums, brass.

A number of these cartridges, no matter how good they might be, will be problematic in continuing brass availability. Market share will drive the demand for brass production, and we already have many cartridges that have a sometimes brass availability or worse even though they looked good on paper. They just never developed enough popularity to make for a continuing and readily available supply of brass.

There are many cartridges only slightly older then the recent offerings of short mag "fame" that are hard or impossible to find brass for.

Enjoy that .375 RUGER, it should be a good one, just be sure to stash back a life time supply of brass if/when you find it.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

collyer
02-20-2015, 11:27 PM
Savage just change their web site to 1/12. The dealer I bought the gun from also showed a 1/14. I am sure the gun will be fun I am just disappointed I really wanted the 1/14 since that what I was told I was getting. Brass has been no problem at this time to come up with. The rifle seems to have caught on in Alaska from what I have read.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-20-2015, 11:35 PM
Yep, should be a good one for sure!

I'm just one that likes to be prepared and see or read of just too many cartridges that too soon fade from view. So brass doesn't eat anything sitting on the shelf and I like to have plenty even though the cartridges I use are long term popular which helps with the continued availability of components.

CDOC

High Desert Hunter
03-30-2015, 12:36 AM
I have enjoyed mine, I'm glad it has the 1:12 twist. I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye, the original Alaskan Model with a black laminate stock and a target gray 23" barrel. For practice I cast a 350gr FNGC bullet sized to .377 and loaded over Unique, scary accurate out to 50 yards.

starmac
04-01-2015, 07:20 PM
They don't seem to have caught on in Alaska more so than anywhere else.
There are a few around, but nowhere near as popular as the 375 h&h or 338 win.

warboar_21
04-03-2015, 10:38 AM
I just picked up a ruger African left handed model. Pick it up today. Also found midway had 270gr round nose factory 2nds and picked up a bunch. I found the dies, brass, and some 235gr speer bullets locally and loaded up 20 rounds so far. Now I just need to mount the scope after I pick it up get out and shoot it. Then I will try and find a mold and a M die so I can have fun with cast.

I look forward to seeing your results.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Please understand that I am not slamming the choice of cartridges such as the .356, .307, Remington short mags, some Winchester short mags or the .375 RUGER etc. etc. etc. for their abilities to get the job done, but seek to provide a bit of caution for the owners of firearms so chambered.

BUY BRASS, BUY LOTS OF BRASS, BUY A LIFE TIME SUPPLY OF BRASS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand the desire of a company to hang their name on a cartridge, or to in some measure increase their bottom line, but I really don't like that a side light of that is we, the shooter and owners, of those cartridges get caught in a difficult position because of it.

If we were to take a complete listing of the different chamberings brought to the market during the last 100 years, the list for which brass loaded or un-loaded would be FAR longer then my short list listed above.

I follow a number of shooting forums, and I hear little to nothing of the Remington Short Mags, and they have all be brought out in the last 20years.

I am a stasher/prepper to a small degree, and were I to buy one of these newer cartridges, I'd also buy a LARGE supply of brass, and were that large supply of brass unavailable, I'd not buy the rifle so chambered.

I have a stash of brass for a number of firearms, all of which are long term popular.

How long has it been since you saw cartridges for the .225 Winchester, saw a rifle so chambered or even heard someone refer to that cartridge?

A good number of the more recent cartridges will fade from view and possibly sooner rather then later become hard to find.

So, as said, not slamming someone's choice of rifle/cartridge here, just saying BE PREPAIRED! for what will happen to many of them.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

white eagle
04-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Thats what "They"said about the 220 Swift too....

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-03-2015, 07:42 PM
The 220 swift did come back, but it was better then the .225 Winchester even on the .225's very best day, plus the fact that there was a lot of negative hype, un-called for in large part, as to excessive barrel wear with the swift.

The 45/70, first brought out in 1873, is also one that is currently very popular and if my personal results are any indication, it should be.

Then, I said nothing negative about the long and growing list of want to be popular cartridges, that aren't, but the fact remains that the large percentage of them are dying what in some cases if NOT a slow death.

In the case of the round spoken of in this thread, the .375 RUGER, first I am a RUGER fan and the largest portion of my firearms are RUGERs.

But face the facts, as said earlier, little to nothing is being posted about the Remington short mags and a number of from the Winchester line of short cartridges are in the same boat and fading fast.

Were I to need/want a rifle such as the .375, the RUGER would be a good one, but seeing what I've seen over my many years of shooting/hunting, along with the purchase of the rifle, would be what I considered to be a life time supply of brass.

A rifle with out ammo is just a long and poorly shaped club.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

tdoyka
04-04-2015, 12:15 AM
that 375 ruger with a life time supply of brass, say 200-300 pcs of brass, will take quite awhile. i still have '06 brass that has to be 20+ years old. there is probably 8 or 9 loadings between them. some of them got to be my old 270 brass.

i almost bought a 220 swift for my encore, but i decided to go to 22-250 ai with a 1 in 8" twist. right now i have around 200 cases for my other encore, the 444 marlin. another 100 or 200 and then i'll be done.

you ought to try 30-40 krag brass...that will help keep ya going!!!

High Desert Hunter
04-04-2015, 12:50 PM
I bought 350 pieces of brass after buying my 375 Ruger, certainly not a lifetime supply give how much I shoot it, I also bought over 1K bullets, mostly discontinued Hornady FMJ and Blemished Hornady bullets, but for trigger time they work great, I also cast a 350gr FNGC bullet for inexpensive trigger time. I have over 14 loadings on a handful of my 375 brass. I honestly think this caliber will succeed in the long run, if for no other reason than Americans typically like bigger and better.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Hunter,

That sounds like a reasonable stash of brass to me.

Then think of 14X350 and you will be a long ways down the road when that brass all dies.

CDOC

warboar_21
04-04-2015, 03:13 PM
CDOC I understand what you are saying. I have a 350 Rem Mag which is pretty much a dead cartridge. Remington does a run of brass once a year and if you don't get them then you are reduced to making them from other magnum brass. Luckily I have about 200 pieces as of now and will wait and pick up a few hundred more when they become available again. If I have to do it with the 375 Ruger I will.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Could be wrong here, seems it has happen once before :shock: :bigsmyl2: , well maybe twice, But Remington seems like they have been in the position more then the others for killing their own cartridges.

Now days, we just have soooo many new offerings for far to few needs, and as said earlier it seems like the Remington line of short mags is dying a rather rapid death, But it is sad to see the cartridges like the 350 Rem Mag die along with the others brought out by Rem. about the same time when it would have taken nothing more then a bit longer action to really make those cartridges REALLY sing.

Was just talking with a neighbor about the fact that I seem to hang on to things until they are well aged, cars and pickups being the subject at hand, but if it works well and runs well, it seems like there is not a lot of point to trading for newer when the old rig did the same thing as a new one. Gets you from point "A" to point "B".

Sooooo, I don't like to be in a position of having a firearm that is unusable due to component un-availability, although said firearm is in fine and almost new condition.

I understand "the bottom line" of companies, but I'd find myself forced to take out insurance in the form of brass/components if I were to be lured into buying something new and Razzle Dazzle these days.

Guess the Ol'Coot will just stay with what he already has a "stash" laid beck for.

Told the kids they had better bring a big truck! [smilie=l:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot