PDA

View Full Version : Quick Measure - Gun Powder Measure

Bonz
02-19-2015, 05:12 PM
"Quick Measure" Gun Powder Measure

Has any seen / used / bought one of these expensive powder measures or know anyone that has ?

Getting tired of dealing with my Hornady powder measure when it decides to be inaccurate...

LUBEDUDE
02-19-2015, 05:33 PM
Kevin Rohrer uses one.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/19/dca2f00e57103236e027e23e481ed07a.jpg

r1kk1
02-19-2015, 07:49 PM
I have one in smokeless and one in blackpowder. JDS was at the Tulsa gun show years ago and I tried it out there with several different powders. I was impressed to say the least. Ball, flake, extruded, it's my go to measure for production runs. Very easy to return to your last setting.

take care

r1kk1

Bonz
02-19-2015, 08:13 PM
I have one in smokeless and one in blackpowder. JDS was at the Tulsa gun show years ago and I tried it out there with several different powders. I was impressed to say the least. Ball, flake, extruded, it's my go to measure for production runs. Very easy to return to your last setting.

take care

r1kk1

thanks for the reply. its a chunk of cash and I am trying to find out as much as possible about it. I talked with Tim for about an hour today. Told him that I needed to mount it on my Hornady LNL progressive. He said it would do great on there. I have read some other forums where people talked about having to wait a few seconds for powder to drop. Also, I'm not clear how I can hook it up on my progressive press so that it will fill the cases by itself. Are you running yours on a progressive press ?

r1kk1
02-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Yes using his progressive mount. I PM ya Bonz.

Take care

r1kk1

daboone
02-19-2015, 09:16 PM
It comes with several "charge tubes" and a rather lengthy set of tables to figure which powder and what weight you want goes with which charge tube. Then minor adjustments to get the final desire grains can/will be made. It's not rocket science but it does take a while to set it up for a specific charge weight. Once set up it is dependably and consistently accurate. It is very convenient for hand held use over loading trays or for a shelf/stand mount. I have other measures that work well with ball and flake powders so this QM get the bulk of the stick powders. Also once you get it set up for a specific weight it is easy to put it back together again for that powder/weight combo, if you keep notes.;)

.30/30 Guy
02-20-2015, 12:27 AM
I have a Quick Measure and use it for stick powders. I love the thing. For me it is worth every cent that I spent for it.

daboone review is spot on.

Fishman
02-20-2015, 12:39 AM
I have one but haven't used it a great deal. With rifle charges it is really nice. However, the adapter Tim sells to allow small charges to be thrown really doesn't work very well. I wanted to use it for loading 9mm and other small capacity rounds and despite lots of tinkering, talking with Tim, and lots of patience, I have determined that it just doesn't work for that. Perhaps someone will chime in that has been successful loading 3.5 gr of bullseye. one other thing: it is a beautiful piece of equipment.

So my Hornady powder measure is still in service for all of my handgun calibers. I have also gained a new appreciation for it.

I could be persuaded to sell mine at a discount to new, and it has a lot of accessories.

Bonz
02-20-2015, 09:30 AM
I have one but haven't used it a great deal. With rifle charges it is really nice. However, the adapter Tim sells to allow small charges to be thrown really doesn't work very well. I wanted to use it for loading 9mm and other small capacity rounds and despite lots of tinkering, talking with Tim, and lots of patience, I have determined that it just doesn't work for that. Perhaps someone will chime in that has been successful loading 3.5 gr of bullseye. one other thing: it is a beautiful piece of equipment.

So my Hornady powder measure is still in service for all of my handgun calibers. I have also gained a new appreciation for it.

I could be persuaded to sell mine at a discount to new, and it has a lot of accessories.

Thanks for the feedback and it sounds like it may not work for me. Probably 99% would be for reloading pistol and it sounds like its really made for rifle charges.

Doc Highwall
02-20-2015, 03:00 PM
For small charges the RCBS Little Dandy works great, but the rotors have a set volume, here is a PDF chart for the powder weights.

http://rcbs.com/downloads/LittleDandyChart.pdf

Kevin Rohrer
02-20-2015, 05:38 PM
Yes, it does not do that well with charges <7gr. But I have two I use for rifle calibers and like them.

Setup for .44mag

And .308

And anything else I want.

Kevin Rohrer
02-20-2015, 05:40 PM
Off-topic:

Lubedude,

I took me a bit to figure out that pic. Sadly, that flag already flies there.