PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Bullets in volume

robertbank
02-19-2015, 03:11 PM
I have to confess loading trays can be frustrating and slow with pistol bullets and for the volume user (USPSA/IPSC/IDPA), to slow.

So picking up from what one poster described both in words and pictures I have decided to go with the following:

9mm - 2 x trays consisting of 96 riveted on cut down .223 cases per tray. The .223 cases will be cut down to approx. 9mm case length

40 S&W - 1 x tray consisting of 96 riveted on .40 cal cases

38spl - 2 x trays consisting of 96 riveted on 9MM cases per tray

45acp LSWC/45Colt LSWC/ 44Mag will use the tray used for 40S&W

45acp 230 gr RN 3 x trays consisting of 96 nuts with foil on top.

311/313 1 x tray using fender washers

The 230 gr RN bullets seem to sit on the nuts without the need to wonder into each other.

The bullets using the cases will be inserted nose first down to the driving bands. When coated the bullets nose will be exposed. I have checked the bullet designs I use and this system should work, will be faster to load, and remove the need to replace the aluminum foil regularly for all but the 230 gr RN bullets and help me retain what sanity I have left.

Pictures will follow once I have everything in place. I would expect this to happen within the next week or so. The trays are cut from cookie trays.

Take Care

Bob

xacex
02-19-2015, 03:54 PM
Why not just ASBB dry tumble, and toss them on foil? I do 3-400 9mm per tray just laying how they may be, and bake. Do they have to be pretty to shoot well? So far it has worked well for several thousand bullets coated. Setting boolits on nuts, and pop rivets sounds nauseatingly boring for little if no return on time.

robertbank
02-19-2015, 03:58 PM
Well the pop rives hold the cases in place. You place the bullets nose first into the cases before spraying. 400 - 900 bullets per hour works for me. Yes having voids and flat marks on the bullet is not where I want to be.

Take Care

Bob

Beagle333
02-19-2015, 08:17 PM
Do you have pictures of the tray and process? Sounds pretty cool!

robertbank
02-20-2015, 01:09 AM
I'll mount some pictures tomorrow of my 38spl tray. I got the idea here.

Take Care

Bob

jwber
02-20-2015, 10:00 AM
I just got an a gun before it started to get cold. I did 2 small batches and now need some real trays.

USPSA/IDPA shooter need large volumes. Can't wait till it warms up!

I'm gonna check back in tomorrow for pics :)

robertbank
02-20-2015, 03:36 PM
Ok here are some pictures. The 9MM cases have been sized, deprimed and riveted on to a cut down cookie sheet that fits my oven.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/robertbank/2015-03-22%2023.15.42.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/robertbank/media/2015-03-22%2023.15.42.jpg.html)

This picture shows one of my 158 gr RN bullets sitting nose down in the case after cooking.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/robertbank/2015-03-22%2023.16.07.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/robertbank/media/2015-03-22%2023.16.07.jpg.html)

Here is a picture of how the bullets look.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/robertbank/2015-03-22%2023.16.38.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/robertbank/media/2015-03-22%2023.16.38.jpg.html)

Sorry for the photography. I can do two of these trays at a time. I am going to have two trays for 40cal/45acp/45Colt using 40 cal cases and two trays for doing 9mm bullets using cut down .223 cases. By doing it this way I get the driving bands and base coated. The olgive really does not have to be done.

I have one tray made for my 30-30 and .303 Brit bullets.

I think this will speed up the process to the point where I can produce bullets in quantity to keep my guns running.

Take Care

Bob
ps This idea was posted by another caster here. I just picked up on it.

jwber
02-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Any issues with buildup and the current not getting through the over spray?

I just went in basement flared a 9mm case and put the Lee 358-125-RF and it stopped just past the seated portion so maybe it would work and not look goofy.

robertbank
02-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Not yet. The ground is attached to the rack and the base of the cases is unaffected by the paint. I did see the build up around the case mouth and on one tray I took an old cleaning brush, chucked it in my drill and ran it on the inside and out side of the case mouth. The method removed most of the small amount of build up. A couple of the cases would not allow me to seat the 38 bullets like I wanted them to so I just inserted some 9MM TC bullets in their place. So far I have had good results. If I see where I am not getting the coverage I will spend more time with the wire brush and drill. All this is relatively new ground so only time will tell how long the racks last. So far so good and it sure is easier to load the racks with no "fifty two pick up to contend with. Give it a try. What you want is for the case mouth to fit tight against the front edge of the driving band. If anything you should be crimping the case mouth not flaring it. I think by flaring the mouth you will attract powder and encourage paint build up on the mouth. What I find is when you take the bullets out after baking you kind of snap them off to break any seal the paint sometimes creats as you paint over the bullet and case.

I should add this system works even better with LSWC bullets. The RN sometime paints a bit on the olgive. Nothing that I think will affect the accuracy I require.

Take care

Bob

popper
02-24-2015, 12:42 PM
I don't shoot gun games but the HiTek stuff works great for my pistol shooting and takes much less time & setup for large volume. Cost is about the same. Moving toward the HiTek in 300BO supers also. I used to PC for pistol - just too much trouble.
~400 per jug, what is not loaded from the rifle batch. About one hr total + drying time. no special jigs needed.

twc1964
02-26-2015, 11:37 AM
I can see a plus for not having the boolit noses coated. When i coat my 120tc's, sometimes the coating is thicker and the boolit , if loaded to my usual oal hits the rifling and the slide wont go into battery completely. I saved a bunch of tarnished, cruddy 9mm brass and i think this would solve that issue. Really need a throat job but havent found anyone with the tooling yet. Thx for the idea robertbank.

robertbank
02-26-2015, 12:05 PM
I can see a plus for not having the boolit noses coated. When i coat my 120tc's, sometimes the coating is thicker and the boolit , if loaded to my usual oal hits the rifling and the slide wont go into battery completely. I saved a bunch of tarnished, cruddy 9mm brass and i think this would solve that issue. Really need a throat job but havent found anyone with the tooling yet. Thx for the idea robertbank.

You may have to use cut down .223 brass for your 120gr TC 9MM bullets or apply a heavy roll crimp to the cases you are going to use. The case mouths should ideally just rest on the shoulders of the driving bands.
I am going to use cut down .223 brass for my 125 TC and RN 9MM bullets. I may have to flare the case mouths a bit. I will know at the end of the week.

Take Care

Bob

twc1964
02-26-2015, 01:38 PM
I test fit some resized old 9mm cases that i chamfered the inside of case mouth only. They fit just enuff to cover the full nose but leave full view of the front and rear bands. It looks like itl work fine. Now i have to go get some pop rivets and beg the wife to sacrifice an old aluminum cookie sheet and im ready to try it. I will post my results but i imagine its work great .

robertbank
02-26-2015, 02:15 PM
Perfect. Aside from not putting paint on the olgive they kinda look neat as well.:-o

Take Care

Bob

cga
02-26-2015, 02:33 PM
I did just the opposite. I tapered the mouth on 45 acp cases to hold onto the gas check shank and used rivets to secure the cases to a piece of aluminum. Your way may be easier.

robertbank
02-26-2015, 02:50 PM
I am wondering what case to use for 308/313 bullets with GC cga.

Take Care

Bob

cga
02-26-2015, 02:52 PM
I did the same with 308 cases. Using a Lee taper crimp die to close the mouth enough, to grip the shank. Lee taper crimp for the 45's also.

cga
02-26-2015, 03:02 PM
I should add that after baking, some of the bullets pop off kinda' hard. I also use sandpaper to skuff off the powder coat on the mouth of the case, and lightly use an old Lyman deburring tool on the inside on the mouth to expose the brass for good contact.

cga
02-26-2015, 03:23 PM

robertbank
02-26-2015, 03:40 PM
I did the same with 308 cases. Using a Lee taper crimp die to close the mouth enough, to grip the shank. Lee taper crimp for the 45's also.

Thanks for the tip. I just prepared some .308 cases. Just waiting on my trays and I will be good to go.

Bob

robertbank
02-26-2015, 03:44 PM
I should add that after baking, some of the bullets pop off kinda' hard. I also use sandpaper to skuff off the powder coat on the mouth of the case, and lightly use an old Lyman deburring tool on the inside on the mouth to expose the brass for good contact.

To reduce the accumulation of paint build up I have applied a light oil around the inside/outside of the case mouth with a Q tip. Seems to reduce the accumulation a bit and aids in releasing the bullets....I think.:-o

Take Care

Bob

cga
02-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Good tip, I'll have to try it.

twc1964
02-26-2015, 07:39 PM
I had thought of lightly spray cases with non stick cooking spray. As long as you dont get it all over your fingers, im thinking it may work. Im going to give it a try and see with a few boolits.

twc1964
03-05-2015, 10:48 AM
Well, i got my rivet gun and since im snowed in, it looks like a good day to make a test tray and some regular ones using jb weld and small nuts. Gotta keep occupied lol

robertbank
03-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Man and I am house bound because it is raining...and you are in Texas! Pretty soon you will be coming up here for a winter vacation to get away from the snow.
When you have a minute, grab a map of the west coast and take a look where Terrace, BC is. When you get to Pr. Rupert turn East.

Take Care

Bob

DanM
03-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Robert....Did you have to drill out the flash holes on all those cases to accept the pop rivets? What size rivets did you use? The smallest we carry in our hardware store are 1/8". Your system looks real interesting....

robertbank
03-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Hi Dan

Yes I took a drill and drilled out the primer pocket and took a case down and bought pop rivets that were just long enough and thin enough in diameter to work. I didn't save the box so I can't tell you the size of the rivets. I am just waiting on a friend who is putting together my trays (he has a cutter of some sort he uses in his business. I have 40cal, 9mm and 308 cases already to go. I just got a call from a firend who says there are a bunch of 7.62x25 cases out at the range so I may use them instead of the .308 cases for use with my .308/.303 bullets.
The trays are so much easier to load so I have decided to run with that method for all my PC bullets.

Take Care

Bob