PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 605 Blued or Stainless. Any experience?

davidheart
02-19-2015, 12:21 PM
Hello! I'm in the market for an inexpensive revolver for CC and light trail duty. About 3 or 2 inches. Do any of y'all have experience with the Taurus 605? I only have $300 to spend at the moment and while I would normally be leery of Taurus pistols I've heard nothing but good things so far about the 605. (Not the polymer ones)

A buddy of mine owns a gun shop and he's able to pick it up at cost for me (<$250) but none of the distributors are showing in stock at the moment and don't know when they'll be in. The other option is a Ruguer LCR or SP101 at <$450 his cost. (While not awesome, I don't feel like disclosing his dealer prices) Is the Taurus 605 a good gun or should I kick in the extra $200 for the SP101. The only drawback is if I go Taurus I could potentially get two. One for me and one for my wife. She's wanting a snub 357 too...

waksupi
02-19-2015, 12:44 PM
Why not look for a used gun? You should be able to find a used Colt .38 special for around $300.

rintinglen
02-19-2015, 01:27 PM
Um, where would that be, Waksupi? I haven't seen a snubby colt for under 450 in nigh on a decade. You might find a used S&W in that range, but a Colt? Not likely.

On topic, the 605 Taurus is a good gun. A few years back, the 4 inch 6 shot versions were very popular with armed Security Officers and generally held their own against Big Blue's counterparts in side by side qualification shoots.
The smaller 5 shot versions are equally good. The one I shot had an action that was a little rough, and at 7 yards hit about 4 inches left. But it was reliable and solid. But I have seen others that were dead on and smooth. Give the action a try before you buy, if you can. Taurus revolvers are a long step ahead of there autos in terms of reliability, much better. I have shot a number of the 85's and they are about as good as anything that comes out of Connecticut or Massachusetts these days. In truth, I have a better history with Taurus guns than I do Rugers, at least in this century.

Bottom line, I'd take a Taurus if money was tight in a heart beat. If I didn't already have a box full of snubbies, I'd certainly give them a look see.

davidheart
02-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Um, where would that be, Waksupi? I haven't seen a snubby colt for under 450 in nigh on a decade. You might find a used S&W in that range, but a Colt? Not likely.

That's what I was wondering when he said that! I heard of old timers telling me I could find a "good smith and wesson, ruger or colt for less than $300!" but I have not the slightest clue when they've come across that sort of deal.

In any case, I'm not interested in 38 special. It would be 357. I believe they're inherently built stronger and I have the ability to shoot 357 if I so choose. I like the stout recoil of a 357 anyway and I reload so I could work up a better load for short barrel.

I've liked the steel Taurus revolvers. The Ruger is available at the distributor as early as today. The Taurus I'd need to wait on a couple weeks... but again. $200 difference and is the quality of the Ruger that much superior to the Taurus?

waksupi
02-19-2015, 04:54 PM
Around here you can buy a Colt Official Police all day long for $300.

Check Shotgun News for old police guns.

dubber123
02-19-2015, 05:58 PM
That's what I was wondering when he said that! I heard of old timers telling me I could find a "good smith and wesson, ruger or colt for less than $300!" but I have not the slightest clue when they've come across that sort of deal.

In any case, I'm not interested in 38 special. It would be 357. I believe they're inherently built stronger and I have the ability to shoot 357 if I so choose. I like the stout recoil of a 357 anyway and I reload so I could work up a better load for short barrel.

I've liked the steel Taurus revolvers. The Ruger is available at the distributor as early as today. The Taurus I'd need to wait on a couple weeks... but again. $200 difference and is the quality of the Ruger that much superior to the Taurus?

I'd save for the Ruger personally. My Taurus experience has been well, not so good. Their "repair" center, even less so.

GL49
02-20-2015, 01:08 PM
I've owned two taurus 605's, one stainless, the second is blued. Both are double action only, and both have 2 1/4" barrels.

The stainless one I've fired a lot, half 38's, half 357's. It, and I, preferred to shoot the 357's. Both of them came with the larger rubber grips supplied by Taurus, not the itty-bitty grips you can only get two fingers on. I've got a wooden set of the little grips I installed just to try, and took them back off. I didn't like those with 357's. With the larger grips, the revolver still disappears into the back pocket of my Levis when I'm hiking in the woods. The double action pull is just fine for me. I bought it so a hammer spur wouldn't hang up when I pulled it out of my back pocket. It'll shoot better than I can shoot a little stubby revolver. This one ended up being a Christmas present for my son.

The blued one I've only got a couple hundred rounds through, and it has a stiffer double action trigger pull. I need to work on that. Everything is still smooth, but it seems to have stiffer springs, whatever. Maybe I just need to shoot it a bunch more.
No problems with either one, I would buy another if I needed one. It also would be double action only, but you have to really look around to find one of those, I don't believe Taurus makes them any longer.
If you get one with the itty-bitty grips, invest in a set of grips that allow you to get all three fingers on the grip. They'll make the revolver look a whole bunch bigger, but in reality don't take up much more room at all when you slide it into your back pocket.

lee n. field
02-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Hello! I'm in the market for an inexpensive revolver for CC and light trail duty. About 3 or 2 inches. Do any of y'all have experience with the Taurus 605? I only have $300 to spend at the moment and while I would normally be leery of Taurus pistols I've heard nothing but good things so far about the 605. (Not the polymer ones)

I have a stainless 605 I picked up some years ago. (Whenever Heller was announced, that day I picked this gun up.)

It's worked very well for me, for many hundreds of rounds.

69daytona
02-20-2015, 10:35 PM
I have one I carry but in blue, picked it up cheap 250 , shot about 200 rounds through it and the hammer broke, I called Taurus and they said send it in as it is covered u dear their life time warranty even if you are not the original owner. They found the last owner did some shoddy work and replaced almost everything internally with new parts, mailed it back on their dime and I have never had a problem with it since, run about 600-800 rounds of 357 through it every year just to be comfortable with it.
buy one if you can find one, I can shoot2-3" groups at 15 yards rapid fire which is good enough for me for a carry gun.

Bzcraig
02-21-2015, 01:54 AM
I have two, a SS and a blue. They are good for what they are. I have never like smiths and didn't want to buy used. I wanted a steel gun for carry so the blue filled the bill, my wife has the SS. I didn't like the Ruger LCR, shot a friends and at only 13ozs IIRC, it was uncomfortable to shoot with factory 38spl 158gr. I had to use my second hand to reposition after each shot because of the small grips. I have had no problems with mine and both have +/- 1k so far. The SP101 is definitely a better gun and it is only 4ozs heavier. BTW the 605 is double action with a hammer, the 650 is hammerless and DAO.

Lonegun1894
02-21-2015, 05:14 AM
For what its worth, mine was the DAO 650 SS .357, and it died on me after just over 10K rounds, 8.5-9K of those being .38s. It shot very well, and would stay on a human silhouette out to 75 yds, even with the little compact grips that only allowed two fingers on the grip. If this is something you will carry, and practice occasionally, they are great. I never got the memo to take it easy on the gun, so shot it every week for several years, probably 7 or 9 years actually. Now granted, I got my money's worth out of it in the time I had it, but ended up selling it CHEAP (and with full disclosure to a friend who insisted on a project gun and that he could fix it), and I put the money towards a SP101, which I still carry every day as my back-up. The Taurus had loosened up, would sometimes not lock the cylinder in place, was shaving lead, and accuracy went off a cliff at the 10K mark. Taurus refused to fix it in spite of several phone calls and letters requesting that they honor the supposed lifetime warranty, and refused to so much as look at it, even when I offered to pay shipping both ways. My last phone call to them, I asked to speak to the highest ranked person present, and told them that I finally fixed the revolver they wouldn't honor a warranty on, and that I had fixed it by selling it for scrap value and putting the money towards a Ruger. When told that, the guy couldn't stop offering to fix or replace it for me, but it was too late. Knowing what I know now, I would save up a little more and get the Ruger the first time around, but at the time I bought it, money was tight and the Taurus did definitely serve the purpose I got it for. I have heard that their customer service and quality has gotten a lot better since I had my troubles with them, and I have considered getting another as a light duty gun if I can find one cheap enough.

GL49
02-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Bzcraig is correct, the 650 is double action only without a hammer. I wasn't aware that Taurus still offered a DAO.

I wasn't clear that my 605 has a hammer with no spur, and it is double action only. The hammer is flush with the back side of the frame with only the spur removed, and the frame has no hump on the back to conceal the hammer. It looks just like a 605 with no hammer spur. Every time you pull the trigger, the spurless hammer moves back and drops, just like a regular hammer. The hammer has no notch that will allow you to catch the hammer, pull it back, leave it in the cocked position, and fire it single action. I had to go get mine out of the closet to be sure of the number, it says "605" on the inside of the frame. I did measure the barrel which is 2 1/4 inch, I don't know if all the current Taurus models are now 2"
Gunbroker has a 605 with a 2 1/4" barrel that looks just like mine, if the hammer spur was removed. The one on gunbroker can be fired either single or double action, but does show the larger size grips just like the ones on my two 605's. I really like the grips.

Petrol & Powder
02-21-2015, 06:46 PM
I will concur the Taurus revolvers tend to be better guns than their semi-auto pistols. I've owned some Taurus revolvers and some were good and some were not. A relative had a 605 and it was a decent gun but my experience with Taurus has been that quality is hit or miss. A lot of the model 85's I've come across were good guns but not all of them. I gave up on Taurus because I wanted to focus on S&W and Ruger.
A lot of folks report that Taurus revolvers are solid guns and decent values. I think that's true if you get a good one but I no longer wish to play those odds.
A decent used S&W or Ruger would be my recommendation. The SP101 is absolutely a solid gun and would be my pick if it had to be a new gun.

ebner glocken
02-22-2015, 05:46 AM
I've had 2 different 605s stainless. Apparently your mileage may vary. One would shoot out of time after 50 rounds (went back to taurus twice), and was traded swiftly after the second trip back. The other the ejector rod threads were cut with a very poor fit and no amount of loctite would fix it, when it didn't lock up tight from the ejector rod backing out the thumb would sometimes disengage upon firing. One was traded for a rifle, the other for a 642 S&W...was happy with both trades.

On the other hand I have a 92 that has had MANY rounds through it w/o any major issue. My wife has a taurus 85 that has been nothing but great.

Unless you're just dead set on getting yourself a small 357 I recommend you chronograph some full house 357s and some +P .38s in a 2" barrel. I am betting the difference in ballistics may not be as much as you think. 3x the muzzle blast does not always mean 2x the energy on target.

Ebner

Petrol & Powder
02-22-2015, 09:35 AM

Unless you're just dead set on getting yourself a small 357 I recommend you chronograph some full house 357s and some +P .38s in a 2" barrel. I am betting the difference in ballistics may not be as much as you think. 3x the muzzle blast does not always mean 2x the energy on target.

Ebner

/\ Good input.

While it is possible to push a .357 mag a little faster out of a 2" barrel the gains come at a high price. Short barreled .357 magnum revolvers have a bark that is punishing to the users but it doesn't add a lot to the bite.
The .357 magnum is an impressive cartridge but in my opinion it is best combined with a longer barrel and bigger grips.

Petrol & Powder
02-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Going back to the OP's criteria of concealed carry and trail use. Those are two rather divergent criteria.
A lightweight, DAO, 2" barreled revolver with fixed sights and small grips lends itself well to concealed carry in a pocket or ankle holster. If one steps up to a holstered mode of carry; a slightly larger gun can be easily concealed. For carry in a holster, larger grips and maybe a hammer spur can be tolerated. (I don't like hammer spurs on CCW revolvers)
A trail gun doesn't need to be as concealable and a trail gun has legitimate use for the single action capability. Better sights and grips combined with a longer barrel (4" maybe) seem to be more appropriate.
I'm not saying the OP can't find a good compromise between a concealed carry gun and a trail gun but I do think that the dominant use should be identified before he spends his money. Additionally, a rust resistant finish is a big plus for both concealed carry and trail use. Stainless steel is the obvious choice but there are other finishes available. Blued carbon steel is traditional and can be beautiful but it requires a lot of care when carried every day.
I also would recommend exploring the used market. Unless the OP must have a new gun, there are a lot more options available in his price range if he opens up his search to include used guns.

davidheart
02-22-2015, 10:37 AM
/\ Good input.

While it is possible to push a .357 mag a little faster out of a 2" barrel the gains come at a high price. Short barreled .357 magnum revolvers have a bark that is punishing to the users but it doesn't add a lot to the bite.
The .357 magnum is an impressive cartridge but in my opinion it is best combined with a longer barrel and bigger grips.

This is something I was thinking about. I know I could get a decent velocity out of 357 magnum in a snub using reloads.

The guy in this article made a comparison between the LCR (1.875" barrel) and the Model 19 (4" barrel). It showed a velocity loss of only 232fps in one load and 245fps in another. That's not too shabby in my opinion: https://thedesertsedge.wordpress.com/2014/10/08/38-special-p-vs-357-magnum-aka-reloading-self-defense-rounds-for-the-snub-nose-revolver/

He also showed the db reading between cartridges was only about 10db. Now that may translate into a lot of perceived volume but I have a feeling much of it has to do with environment. Am I shooting indoors or in an open field? Most of my target shooting is an open field so not even the 357 magnum from my 4 inch feels much louder than my 9mm. My main purpose for a 357 is a short barreled and lighter revolver to not only conceal carry, but also walk in the woods.

The only time I had a problem with my 4" 357 was shooting some loads intended for deer hunting from a rifle. They were 158gr 357 magnum "+p".... :shock: And they FELT like +p. The concussive grenade launching from my hand made my teeth rattle and hurt my cavities.

Now I've never shot 357 from a short barrel but the blast is the only thing I'm truly worried about. Not the recoil. :\

We did pick up a S&W 637 for my wife. It was a little more than $100 cheaper than the SP101 brand new and even though she won't be able to shoot 357, she wouldn't anyway. The Ruger SP101 in 2 1/4" was available but I think if I go this route I'm going 3 inch. Otherwise the Taurus 605 in 2" for $200 less money. Both are out of stock at distributors at this moment.

It's a waiting game now and $200 feels like a lot of money for 1 inch of barrel. But maybe that 1 inch will help with the noise.

Lonegun1894
02-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Noise wise, there is a very sight difference between my 2 1/4" SP101 and my 4" Security Six, so I wouldn't worry about that extra inch or two unless its for balance or sight radius. It's there, but just not a big deal. That extra $200 is so you have a lifetime gun instead of kicking yourself when you're shopping for a new one in 5 or 10 years like I did, and wondering why you didn't spend a bit extra the first time. My SP101 does 5-6" at 50 yards unsupported, and I can cut that down to 3-4" with a rest.

Petrol & Powder
02-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Decibels [Db] is a logarithmic scale. It is a ratio based on 10 so a 10 Db increase is Huge!

Petrol & Powder
02-22-2015, 05:01 PM
"My main purpose for a 357 is a short barreled and lighter revolver to not only conceal carry, but also walk in the woods."

Do you want a CCW or a trail gun?

PICK ONE !

That's a tough compromise between those two applications. A 4" S&W model 67 is a great field gun - adjustable sights, stainless steel, square butt grip, good accuracy and not too heavy but I wouldn't want to try and stuff it in my pocket or carry it daily as a CCW
A S&W model 442 is a great CCW and the model 640 can chamber .357 magnums and is only a little heavier and longer but neither is a great trail / kit gun.
You need to narrow your criteria a bit.

davidheart
02-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Do you want a CCW or a trail gun?

PICK ONE !

Shockingly the folks hiking the trails around here are very apprehensive to somebody toting a 4 inch revolver openly. I know I know, they should just get over it but even on the trail I need to be considerate to the feelings of others. ;)

If it were common practice to open carry revolvers here on public hiking trails like it is back west I'd pick up a 44 magnum and not look back. Heck, I'd take my 4 inch 357 along until I was able to afford the 44. ;)

What sp101 did you pick up lonegun? 2 or 3 inch?

Petrol & Powder
02-22-2015, 08:09 PM
OK, now I have a better understanding of the use. You are looking for a revolver that is primarily a CCW.
The term "trail gun" implies that it is a "kit gun" or "field gun"; meaning that it is used to take small game, informal target shooting and general plinking. The situation you describe is a gun that is carried while hiking but only displayed/shot in self defense while on the trail.
Given the use of CCW, I would recommend a gun that is suited to that purpose over informal target work.
With a new gun, I still lean towards the SP101. They are a bit bulky and heavy for pocket carry although some folks can pull it off in cargo pants and jacket pockets. One of the lightweight S&W, hammerless J-frames would be outstanding. If you really wanted .357mag, then you could step up to the S&W steel framed 640 in .357mag but I would be happy with 38 Special in a snub nose.
If you are willing to go just a bit larger, which will require holster carry but is still very concealable, you will have a lot more options.
3" K-framed sized revolvers are excellent fighting tools as are the old 2 3/4" Ruger Speed Sixes.

The SP101 is an excellent gun and size wise, falls between the J-frames and the K-frames. It is super strong and durable.

rintinglen
02-22-2015, 09:35 PM
For the use you describe, I think you could do far worse than to save up your nickels for one of the SP 101 4 inch Adjustable Sighted guns. You won't be carrying it in an ankle holster or a pocket, but in a good IWB holster under a loose fitting T-shirt it will all but disappear. A 4 inch revolver is a whole lot easier to shoot straight with than a 2 inch. (And a 30 oz. 357 is more comfortable to shoot than a 25 oz. or lighter one.)
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJzbyWixjTP7csO8vAajjhpttg5zfIx 0ERExZ2AcwNCjyvmEJ7mA

hardy
02-22-2015, 11:27 PM
Owned a Taurus 85,shot it loose with moderate use,got a 605,same story.Then shot loose 2 Model 66,s all this in 10 years or so.
Have owned a 3''Sp101 the last decade and despite all efforts it still shoots like a house on fire! Fits snugly in rear pocket,or holstered
5 or 6 hours out in the boonies,no problems.Your mileage will vary but good luck..Mike

Petrol & Powder
02-23-2015, 12:01 AM
I'm with rintinglen, a 4" SP101 would give you most of what you're looking for and do it well. I'm not a big fan of the .357 magnum in anything other than a full sized gun but the SP101 comes as close to that goal as possible.
While it's not a super small CCW, it would be easier to shoot and is still a relatively small frame. The SP101 is basically a small GP100 and is seriously strong for its size. You give up one round in the cylinder in exchange for a smaller overall cylinder/frame.
If it must be a new gun, the SP101 fits the bill fairly well.

Now: if you want to get a little more adventurous there are some used guns floating around that would also fill your needs.
An older stainless steel Speed-Six with a 2 3/4" barrel is about the same overall size as a SP101 with a 3" tube and you get 1 more round. They are strong, easy to conceal, accurate and very durable.
A round butt, 3" S&W model 65 is in the same category and is one of the finest examples of a fighting tool I've ever seen. If you feel you must have adjustable sights there is the model 66 but they're harder to find in round butt with 3" barrels. While not stainless steel, there are some 2 1/2" barreled model 19's out there that are really sweet.
If you're looking at a used K-frame is .357 magnum be sure to inspect the forcing cone. The cracking issue is real but not as common as portrayed. A lot of .357mag K-frames lived their lives with very few magnum loads being shot in them.
Probably not in the same league but the 2.5" 686 is a great shooting, short barreled .357 but it is rather heavy and bulky.

waksupi
02-23-2015, 01:42 AM
What people are telling you, only a pilgrim will buy a Taurus. Save your money, and buy a good handgun.

Lonegun1894
02-23-2015, 05:05 AM
I got the 2 1/4" version with hammer spur. It's a little big bigger and heavier than my Taurus 650 was, but still disappears in the front pocket of a pair of jeans or any other pants I have when in a pocket holster. Speaking of pocket holsters, if you pocket carry, use one, and it doesn't need to be fancy. I used to not use one, til I noticed that every single pair of my pants had a hole where the muzzle was wearing through the cloth, and they also help hide the outline of the gun a bit.

Petrol & Powder
02-23-2015, 08:33 AM
Pocket holsters do more than save your pockets.
1. It covers the trigger.
2. It positions the gun muzzle down and keeps the grips in the same location so that the gun is always in the same place.
3. It breaks up the outline of the gun.

Petrol & Powder
02-23-2015, 10:11 AM
What people are telling you, only a pilgrim will buy a Taurus. Save your money, and buy a good handgun.

/\ Well if you put it that way, YES - that is exactly what we're saying. :-o

So, the OP seems to be leaning towards a new gun and the SP101 is clearly on his list.
Looking at the Ruger on-line catalog I see several SP101 variants in .357mag:
A 2.25" barrel, fixed sights with a hammer spur
A 2.25" barrel, fixed sights with a bobbed hammer (that would be my ONLY choice for pocket carry!!!)
A 3" barrel, fixed sights with a hammer spur
And a 4" barrel with adjustable sights and a hammer spur.

Personally I would discount the 2.25" model with an exposed hammer. I hate hammer spurs on snub nosed revolvers. There's no good reason to use single action on a gun like that and the hammer spur is just an impediment at best. A lot of people disagree with me on that view and I'm OK with that. I'm a bit stubborn, let's move on.

If the OP wants one of the longer barreled models the choice becomes 3" fixed sights vs. 4" (4.20" for our Canadian friends) and adjustable sights. The 3" tube with fixed sights is close in concept to the S&W models 13 or 65, albeit with a 5 round cylinder. There's a LOT to like about that combination. I prefer fixed sights on carry guns and the 3" barrel is a very good compromise of sight radius, weight and length.
To get adjustable sights (not a requirement in my view) one must step up to the 4.2" barrel. At that barrel length one might as well step up to a K-frame or Security Six. In terms of "packability" (for lack of a better word), the 3" barrel seems a little closer to the OP's needs but I must say that rintinglen's IWB holster and 4" SP101 looks good as well.

davidheart
02-23-2015, 12:59 PM
I've NEVER pocket carried. The idea honestly seems uncomfortable to me. I usually where those "Wrangler Relaxed Boot Cut" jeans and I couldn't imagine fitting a gun inside one of my pockets along with it's holster.

3 inch is the longest I would go in a CC revolver unless I was wearing heavy clothing. My 4 inch 357 K-frame is just a little too long for me to comfortably carry and the handle (square butt) is way too large.

We'll see what comes available.

Now a buddy of mine said "Why don't you grab a 9mm Shield??" I told him I felt the 357 mag was more versatile and slightly more powerful. Plus I could carry some snake shot to take care of copperheads I've seen around here. He told me to load the first round 9mm snakeshot then the rest defensive loads. He makes a point.... but it just doesn't seem to be a good idea...

charlie b
02-23-2015, 01:22 PM
I have had both the Taurus and the SP101. If the money is not an object then get the Ruger.

The Taurus was great, if you don't shoot it much. Had screws back out on regular basis when shooting a lot of .357 in it. Not when shooting light .38 type loads. Even blue loctite would not hold a couple of them.

The Taurus had a better trigger than the Ruger.

So, if you are strapped for money, and only want it for carry and not much shooting, then the Taurus would be fine.

I like my little Ruger a lot. Stainless, 3". It serves as a CCW, trail gun, and plinker.