PDA

View Full Version : Lee Taper crimp dies

bigbear
02-19-2015, 11:19 AM
Tried to search this but got 2500 hits, sooo.... I use these when reloading for , handgun rounds,semi-autos and hard kicking lever actions (348 and 45-70) zzAre they a good or bad idea???

bedbugbilly
02-19-2015, 01:12 PM
I use them on semi-auto cartridges - on revolver cartridges (straight wall) I use a roll-crimp. I do use their taper crimp though when loading 38 Colt Short and Long (I use a Lee 9mm taper crimp die). I'm not loading "heavy" or "max" though so the taper on those works well and never have any bullet movement.

Can't really speak to the larger cartridges and lever guns as I don't shoot those calibers or have a lever gun. If they work for you though . . as they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

therealhitman
02-19-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm using the FCD on all pistol cartridges except .357. No problems and no bulging.

NC_JEFF
02-19-2015, 01:53 PM
I taper crimp all my autos, 45 & 9mm. I use as minimum amount of crimp as possible with the taper crimp die on cast as the die can swage the bullet smaller if over done. I definitely use it tho.

jmort
02-19-2015, 02:02 PM
One of the most discussed and debated issues, seemingly. The handgun FCD carbide sizing ring can swage-down cast bullets. It promotes uniformity and reliability in semi-auto. I use it with jacketed bullets. Many here hate it. Yet a poll here found 2/3 liked it/use it. It is one of highest rated dies on Midway USA. If it swages down your cast bullets, don't use it. I like the Redding crimp dies and also like the handgun collet dies that Lee sells.

mdi
02-19-2015, 02:02 PM
I taper crimp all my autos, 45 & 9mm. I use as minimum amount of crimp as possible with the taper crimp die on cast as the die can swage the bullet smaller if over done. I definitely use it tho.

Me too. I use a roll crimp on any round for my lever guns, .44 magnum and 30-30...

None of my handgun reloads have ever needed a post seating/crimping resizing. If they do have a size issue, I'll find out why and fix the problem, not cover it up with an FCD. I learned how to reload and properly adjust my reloading dies pre-web, and before Lee introduced the FCD. I've seen those silly "polls" and didn't bother and I think the most that answered were FCD fans and those that think they are worthless didn't bother to answer (kinda like asking what's best, Ford or Chevy on a Ford forum...).

jmort
02-19-2015, 02:15 PM
^^^ was waiting for this sour note to repeat itself, like a broken record. Anything that goes in a revolver or tube magazine gets a roll crimp for me. Otherwise, a taper crimp, or no crimp depending.

Boogieman
02-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Lee still makes a taper crimp die that does not post size. these work good when using lead boolits.

lpspinner
02-19-2015, 09:07 PM
As others have mentioned, this question has been debated throughly between the Factory Crimpers and the non-factory Crimpers. Like Dems and Republicans, no ones convinced one another to change sides.

I personally have a Factory Crimp die for most of my calibers (rifle and pistols) as a just in case. I do use them regularly for my 9mm, .40 and .45acp. Another perpetual debate...I use them because some of the brass has been used in chambers that are not fully supported.

MT Chambers
02-19-2015, 09:59 PM
A std. set of dies for semi-auto cartridges already taper crimps, why would you spend money on anything more?

bluelund79
02-19-2015, 10:18 PM
I buy the 4 die sets for my handguns from Lee, so all of my semi autos get a taper crimp. I do use a roll crimp for my revolvers, especially the magnums. Not only to keep bullets from locking the cylinder, but also to ensure proper full ignition of the powder charge.

mdi
02-20-2015, 01:46 PM
"Sour Note" explained (and I'll do it every time someone tells a new reloader to get an FCD):bigsmyl2:

OK, now, I don't care what kind of dies anybody uses for anything. It's your ammo, your guns, and your time. But, I do object to those that tell new reloaders to get an FCD and all your problems will be solved rather than tell them to troubleshoot the problem and fix it. Yep, I have owned a Lee FCD and it now resides in a landfill somewhere in Southern Oregon, and I am not a Lee hater as I own 2 Lee presses, 5 Lee Loaders, 8 Lee die sets, two FCD collet crimping dies, and a variety of Lee hand tools. And I believe Lee is one of the most innovative reloading tools/equipment manufacturers today.

I have mebbe 30 years of experience loading revolver brass and never found a problem chambering a round that an FCD (for handgun) would permanently fix, mebbe iron out a bulge, but I will find out why the bulge is there in the first place and eliminate the reason for the bulge. And I reload cast lead bullets sometimes .005" over "nominal" bullet size. I just started reloading semi-auto 17 years ago and as yet, after mebbe 4,000 or 5,000 45 ACP rounds or mebbe 2,500 9mm rounds, never had the need for post assembly swaging the cartridges. (and I think of all those bizillions successful and accurate 45 ACP reloads prior to Lee's introduction of their handgun FCD).

I believe if I'm going to answer a new reloader's question, I'll answer in such a way as to help the entry level reloader learn something ("I'm having a problem with my rounds chambering in my 45 ACP" and an answer of "Use an FCD" is not helping, just giving deceitful shortcuts.). If one is somewhat experience in reloading and wants to short cut/cover up a reloading mistake, fine, but don't tell the new guy to use one rather than suggesting he learn how to properly adjust dies...

bedbugbilly
02-20-2015, 02:06 PM
The OP isn't talking about the Lee FCD - he's talking about using a Lee "taper" crimp die on his re-loads.

As mentioned . . . a revolver or lever gun most folks use a "roll crimp". . . the reason being to prevent boolit "set back" in a tubular magazine and/or recoil. And yes, die sets for semi-auto reloading come with "taper crimp" dies - usually in the seating/crimp combination die. BUT . . . so do some (and I've seen in in older die sets) straight walled pistol cartridge die sets.

Personally, I don't load heavy/mag loads - especially in the shorter 38 Colt Short & Long that I use a 9mm "taper crimp" die on (which is the only crimp die I have that is short enough to do those casings). Probably the neck tension alone would be adequate to hold the boolit in - but I still prefer to put a very mild taper crimp on the mouth to "iron out" any belling

The Lee FCD is a whole different die - whether you like them or not it's a personal thing. But on a straight walled revolver casing, they (the Lee FCD) put a "roll crimp" not a "taper crimp". On a semi-auto casing (.380, 9mm, etc.) they put a "taper crimp".

So in summary bigbear . .. . straight walled pistol cartridge - roll crimp . . . semi-auto . . taper crimp is the general rule . . . .

mdi
02-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Read the first line of my post. The OP asked about crimping and someone brought up Lee's FCD. I answered and a snarky comment followed, so I explained myself. Nothing more, nothing less...

But discussing a Lee FCD with a fan is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. I'm done...

MT Chambers
02-20-2015, 06:11 PM
I agree completely with mdi re; unnecessary crimp die.....where we part is that he is a Lee fan, I'm not!!

bigbear
02-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Thank you all. What I am wondering is whether I should put a slight taper crimp on ammo I load for lever action rifles and semiauto rifles. I don't load much handgun ammo anymore since IPSC got too Star Wars for me. I'm talking about the cheap Lee Factory Crimp dies. reason for asking is that I shoot some obscure stuff, 348Win and 218Bee for instance and I like to get whatever geegaws I might want for them when I see them as they have the habit of disappearing from catalogs.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Thank you all. What I am wondering is whether I should put a slight taper crimp on ammo I load for lever action rifles and semiauto rifles. I don't load much handgun ammo anymore since IPSC got too Star Wars for me. I'm talking about the cheap Lee Factory Crimp dies. reason for asking is that I shoot some obscure stuff, 348Win and 218Bee for instance and I like to get whatever geegaws I might want for them when I see them as they have the habit of disappearing from catalogs.

What the "level 2" reloaders above fail to mention is Lee has two factory crimp dies. One for rifle and one for pistol. The rifle crimp die is excellent and I highly recommend it for shooting of any experience level.

The pistol factory crimp die (designed for jacketed bullets) comes with a pressed in carbide ring in the bottom that "post sizes" the case (and your cast boolits) if your cast boolits happen to be over sized a bit (which they should to work the best). That said, you can easily remove or increase in inside diameter the carbide post sizing ring of the Lee pistol FCD and you'll have an excellent crimping die with no post sizing.

Those that continually insist the Lee FCD either do not or have not taken the time to fully understand the Lee FCD offerings nor have they taken the time to learn the simple modifications to adapt them.

Hence the reason I say level 2 reloaders. They are not at Reloading 101, as they have experience, but haven't made it to Reloading 301 yet. Making it there requires releasing of one's prejudices against one particular brand or another.

bigbear
02-20-2015, 11:00 PM
Thanks! that clarified things nicely for me.

gloob
02-23-2015, 01:06 AM
I have the four die sets for my semi auto pistol ammo. I have purchased an additional taper crimp die as needed for crimping after seating. This saves time readjusting the seating die.

I have only ever used the FCD for debulging cases and for destroying neck tension prior to pulling ammo. I can see where it would be useful to specific ammo and guns, though.

you can easily remove or increase in inside diameter the carbide post sizing ring of the Lee pistol FCD and you'll have an excellent crimping die with no post sizing.
Don't do that to your 40SW or 45ACP FCD's. Those can come in handy for push-thru sizing brass. You can buy a dedicated taper die for $13-$14.00.

Fox Pass
03-15-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm a revolver competition shooter, I shoot thousands of rounds a year. To that end I'm always looking for short cuts, I cast tumble lube boolits and let the FCD do the rest.

MDI is right I do have problems in HIS stream of reloading. Big bullets don't go in my cyclinder and long cases bulged apone crimping.

Is it wrong to describe these problems to a knew shooter and suggest handling them at the end of A reloading process with an FCD.

The FCD has saved me hundreds of hours sorting and measuring, produced thousands of good quality ammo the slides into my cylinder letting me practice accuracy, speed and speed reloading my revolver.

To specifically answer the question yes they are a great tool. Use it to change the entire reloading process as I have or use it to catch mistakes in your normal process.

Of interest if it weren't for an engineer playing with the inefficient idea of the tail rotor that every other engineer baulked at, the helicopter would still be a picture in an old book.

Fox Pass

Motor
03-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Another hijack sorry,
The pistol FCD has got to be the most misunderstood tool for reloading. Yeah, that's right, its a tool. Like any other tool it has a purpose.

For someone cranking out hundreds of jacketed rounds a minute on a progressive press it is an awsome inexpencive insurance policy. This is what it was designed for.

I would not be surprised if the crimping part of the tool was not in the original design just the post sizing. But then they relized most people seat and crimp in 2 steps on progressive loaders so why not have it crimp too.

As with many tools, if you use them for something they were not made for you can expect less than optimal results.

Motor

gloob
03-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Well folks. Lee taper crimp dies can also swage bullets. Yup. My new 40SW taper crimp die swages a 401 cast bullet in PMC brass, specifically. Took out the die to look for a carbide ring, but it is really just a taper crimp die. The opening of the die body is just that tight!

Le Loup Solitaire
03-15-2015, 09:11 PM
On reloads for 45ACP, 9mm, 30 Carb and others that seat on the case mouth I have always used a taper crimp die and it has been a die of Lee manufacture. I use only enough to get the job done and have never had any problem with feeding in any of my guns. Crimping is a necessary evil that leads to the demise of the brass due to cold working of the metal so the less the better. Taper crimp dies made by the leading manufacturers that I have used over the years on various occasions all have done a good job IMHO. LLS