PDA

View Full Version : 03A3 and cast kicked butt

RU shooter
03-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Heck yeah I'm braggin!!!!! Beautiful 26 degree morning here in SW Pa. today and on the range in a 200 yd walk and paste CMP match . Lots of AR's and Garands But me with the only bolt action once again and of course the only guy shooting a cast boolit:twisted: Ohhhhh they didnt even see it comming! Ended up with second place with 465/500:drinks: first time I ever shot that load in colder temps and it actually shot better than when warm! Last 20 rds of the match were slow prone 3-9's , 12-10's and 5-X! (That is why I love my 1903A3!) Load was Lee 185@.311 and 21.0 grs of AA 5744.
lots of chuckles and comment about casts bullets and old rifles before the match started, but pretty dang quiet after the cards were handed in and scores read out!

Ricochet
03-02-2008, 03:36 PM
That's awesome! :drinks:

35 Whelen
03-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Excellent!! Makes me proud when someone schools the boys with the plastic mouse guns. At our local matches, I've been told more than once that I need to "come to the dark side" and start shooting an AR. Told 'em I wasn't and would never be interested. I've been wanting an 03A3, but now I feel I must find a way to buy one!
35W

garandsrus
03-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Nice shooting! Were you using the reduced targets to simulate 300 and 600 yds, or did you stay with the 200 yd offhand/sitting target?

I really like shooting cast out of my 03A3....

John

Buckshot
03-03-2008, 02:40 AM
..............I wish our club could put something on like that match. They do have a SASS bunch shooting once a month, but I'm not interested in that very much. Then they have a 22RF benchrest match the 2nd Sunday of each month, but I don't feel like buying a $2500 rifle and paying $10/50 rnd box for ammo.

Last year they did start a rather informal 'Buffalo" match. Our range only goes to 200 meters so the Buffalo silhuettes are about the size of a dog at 200 meters. Sighters before the match and then 6 rounds in rotation to knock the buffalos over. They pay a cash prize to 3rd place. It's BPC or ML'er. That has been a lot of fun.

................Buckshot

jrgift
03-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Several years ago we had here that were NMC at 100 yds.Never won any matches but had a lot of fun with a Mauser in 308 with Redfield International sights..I think I used a Lyman bullet.

mike in co
03-08-2008, 07:59 PM
belly up to the bar!
get a copy of the oklahoma rules(stock mil br matches)...i got them if you want /or link to one of thier sites.
then make a presentation to your board and offer to run it yourself.
if kept simple, its a fun low pressure match.
on the other side modesto,ca runs four classes
and cba runs four classes....
mike

i did just what that and run our matches.
..............I wish our club could put something on like that match. They do have a SASS bunch shooting once a month, but I'm not interested in that very much. Then they have a 22RF benchrest match the 2nd Sunday of each month, but I don't feel like buying a $2500 rifle and paying $10/50 rnd box for ammo.

Last year they did start a rather informal 'Buffalo" match. Our range only goes to 200 meters so the Buffalo silhuettes are about the size of a dog at 200 meters. Sighters before the match and then 6 rounds in rotation to knock the buffalos over. They pay a cash prize to 3rd place. It's BPC or ML'er. That has been a lot of fun.

................Buckshot

sundog
03-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Shot the mil bolt match today (OK rules that Mike mentioned). I kicked the collective rears of the field with a 296/300-6X. Yes sir, buddy! Also shot both small groups, one at 2.3?? and the other don't remember. Match time was 20dF with a fresh new inch of snow, wind 180 @ ~3-5. Overcast. The forecast NW 15-25 never materialized. Good thing, because I would have begged off. 314299 sized .311 w/FWFL and Gator check over 21.0/4227 in a neck turned and neck sized LCNM78 case that was 11X fired and BR2 primer in a 2-groove 03A3. While I was on my last score target the overcast was breaking and it got really tough for light and mirage. We HAD to shoot in a boil with the snow melting and heat coming up. No choice. I had a 97 on my last score score target, but that was okay for conditions. IT WERE FUN!

btw, the full length Carharts were a big plus today.

edited to add: Yes, 03A3 KICKS BUTT.

waksupi
03-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Shot the mil bolt match today (OK rules that Mike mentioned). I kicked the collective rears of the field with a 296/300-6X. Yes sir, buddy! Also shot both small groups, one at 2.3?? and the other don't remember. Match time was 20dF with a fresh new inch of snow, wind 180 @ ~3-5. Overcast. The forecast NW 15-25 never materialized. Good thing, because I would have begged off. 314299 sized .311 w/FWFL and Gator check over 21.0/4227 in a neck turned and neck sized LCNM78 case that was 11X fired and BR2 primer in a 2-groove 03A3. While I was on my last score target the overcast was breaking and it got really tough for light and mirage. We HAD to shoot in a boil with the snow melting and heat coming up. No choice. I had a 97 on my last score score target, but that was okay for conditions. IT WERE FUN!

btw, the full length Carharts were a big plus today.

Eyup. Tolja so. Springfield.

sundog
03-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks, Ric. Went home with ten bucks! Match fee is five, but that's just for the privilege of being there. So, like I said, ten to the good, and another notch in the "Sprangfield'.

RU shooter
03-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Nice shooting! Were you using the reduced targets to simulate 300 and 600 yds, or did you stay with the 200 yd offhand/sitting target?

I really like shooting cast out of my 03A3....

John

Nice shooting Sundog!:drinks: Man your in the big leagues now ! winning cash for shooting....... Wish our clubs did that.

Grandsrus It was the standard SR2 target the whole way through thats the way we shoot in the winter in the summer we shoot the simulated 300-600. That 600 yd reduced is a killer! I predict a massive amount of dropped points on that one:(

garandsrus
03-08-2008, 11:36 PM
RU Shooter,

Thanks... Still a great score with the SR2 and position shooting! Yep the 600 reduced target is tough!

Are these the Oklahoma rules (http://www.okcgunclub.org/military/mb/rules.html) that folks are talking about?

John

mike in co
03-09-2008, 03:35 AM
Are these the Oklahoma rules (http://www.okcgunclub.org/military/mb/rules.html) that folks are talking about?

John

yep....now also known as the auroa gun club MBABR rules.....

mike in co

sundog
03-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Mike, that looks it. The rools are also here for rifle and pistol and some pics of the Oklahoma Traveling Trophy. The link is to my personal home page - go down past the personal family stuff and you'll find it under "Other Stuff" - Cork's Place (http://home.windstream.net/corkyconnell/index.htm)

Calamity Jake
03-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Yap I shoot the Okie mil bolt rules to, every month at our gun club. Sometimes I shoot good and some times I don't but it is still fun and I'm with Corky do it with cast.
We shoot this stuff the year round no mater the weather, aint that right Corky?

35 Whelen
03-09-2008, 11:19 AM
I live just south of the Red River off I-44. Are there any military matches near here? Say around Lawton? We have a High Power match in Wichita Falls every month, but that's about it.
35W

oksmle
03-09-2008, 12:12 PM
35 Whelen.... lfsrpclub@aol.com That will get you in touch with the Lawton/Ft. Sill Rifle & Pistol Club. At one time it was very active in our MBABR matches.
oksmle

sundog
03-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Jake's got it right, any wx - except lightening. Several years ago only me and one other feller showed up. It was 20dF, 20 knot northerly, and an inch of ice all other everything. I remember this distinctly because I shot small group of the day, 1.8XX (are ya listening, Ric? 03A3, yet again). We cheated that day, though. We shot from inside the all wx shooting bldg. It was really miserable having that north wind blow in thru the shooting window, even though the heater was running full blast!!!

Lawton/Ft Sill has not been to the state shoot off for at least a couple of years. Are they still active?

Freightman
03-09-2008, 01:36 PM
There is a club to the west of BurkBurnet called the Red River rifle and pistol club, I think they have a military shoot. How to get hold of them is what I don't know, I have shot at it has a 450yd range but only when I visit my boy three times a year (never in the summer to hot for us highlanders)

35 Whelen
03-09-2008, 01:50 PM
There is a club to the west of BurkBurnet called the Red River rifle and pistol club, I think they have a military shoot. How to get hold of them is what I don't know, I have shot at it has a 450yd range but only when I visit my boy three times a year (never in the summer to hot for us highlanders)

I belonged to the Burk range for several years and they never had any formal military matches, but that could've changed. I'll check. Also, FYI, that's a 350 yd. range. I was told it was 300 yds., but one day I sighted in one of my rifles @ 100 yds., then put up a target at the back target stand just to see how the rifle would group at that range. I then fired a group at the "300" yd. range and after measuring the bullet drop and running the numbers through a ballistic program, discovered it was actually 350 yds. And for what it's worth, the rifle, a Remington 700 Classic in 220 Swift, shot a 3-shot group that was an almost prefectly symmetrical triangle measuring 1.1" between the two furthest shots![smilie=w: I cut out the group and framed it!! It's still sits on my loading bench.

35W

Freightman
03-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Like I said I only get down three times a year, they are doing a little better the first time I went I was shocked at the trash on the range bieng use to the range in Amarillo where even the weeds are cut and no trash.
I will invite anyone that wantsa to to our shoot runs from May - November second saturday each month, never get to go as I work on sat. here is the link.
http://www.amarillorpc.com/105-0-0/105-4-0/105-4-4/105-4-4%20Military%20Benchrest%20Matches.htm