PDA

View Full Version : only i can do this!!!

tdoyka
02-19-2015, 02:21 AM
today i am going to load up some 30-40 krag brass and some h4198. the brass has been sized. i take the lyman m die out to start my necks to .311". i put the die in the press, lower the press handle, made sure the shellholder and the bottom of the die just slightly touched. all right, i put the brass into the shellholder and lower the handle, mph, don't touch. i'll just lower the expander plug till it contacts the brass. what the %$#^!!! i look at the m die, take it out, look at it, and decide it missing a piece. i take the m die apart, theres one piece that doesn't go down. ^$%@!!! this goes on about an hour. trying to make it work. well, i called lyman and was put on hold for the techinican and since he was busy, we left my name and number..(my dad actually gave his name, easier for him to talk, i had a stroke). while we were waiting, i get 444 marlin m die. i am looking at it and nothing seems right to the 30 cal m die. what the %$#@!!! what going on here?! i grab the 30-40 lee dies and....................there it is. the 30 cal long lyman m die!!! here i was looking at the seater die( it was in the lyman m die case), i was going nuts trying to find out why i couldn't size the necks!!! i feel real dumb after this, trying to make a seater for what the m die does.

ps
the m die works great, the techie laughed at me, and everything is quite good. all in all, i can say....what the %$#@!!!!

go ahead, you can laugh...i would!!!

nagantguy
02-19-2015, 02:28 AM
We all been there, the ability to laugh at ones self is important. Spent an hour looking for my sun glasses one day; getting madder and madder by the minute; my daughter would sort of chuckle every time I walked by her room. After about the tenth time and some cussing she said" dad if your done having a temper tantrum, I'll tell you where your sun glasses are" I took a breath, I've said these words to her several times; when your done pouting I'll tell you how to fix/do/undo whatever. Where are they honey? She says " on top of your hat". We both had a good laugh.

madsenshooter
02-19-2015, 03:21 AM
I didn't laugh hard, cause it sounds like something I might do! Just a little chuckle. I've done the same as you too, nagantguy!

Motor
02-19-2015, 05:29 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why you would have your "M" die body touching your shell holder ???

tdoyka
02-19-2015, 12:42 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why you would have your "M" die body touching your shell holder ???

barely touching the shell holder. so small a piece of paper barely get thru. i am a newbie at the art of streching necks and the paper lyman sent says to do it.

Motor
02-19-2015, 02:46 PM
They only make a couple die bodies. A long and a short for sure. The plug that sizes the neck is what's different. I guess they just want the plug rod extended as little as possible.

Remiel
02-19-2015, 04:05 PM
i can see me or my dad doing something like this, it happens and we are human, but at least you could laugh about it after.

Hardcast416taylor
02-19-2015, 04:27 PM
You should see what happens when a .45 LC neck expander die gets in a .44 mag. die set and you run the first .44 mag. case up into it? I still have that case sitting on the shelf with the die sets as a constant reminder to be more alert.Robert

Motor
02-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Well now that we are bringing up stupid mistakes lol

You should see what happens when you mistakenly use a 9MM size die with the decapping pin removed for a Lee Factory Crimp die. :(

303Guy
02-19-2015, 11:11 PM
I've been known to pick something to look under it for the thing I picked up!

funnyjim014
02-20-2015, 08:21 AM
Try firing a 9mm out of a 40 glock. My buddy racked fired it 3 time before he relized there was a problem. The brass looked like a 9mm necked up to 40