PDA

View Full Version : Lar's Carnaube Red vs Felix

44man
03-02-2008, 03:23 PM
I have often said both shoot great. I was plinking at 100 yd's today with my .44 SBH and my 330 gr boolit with 21.5 gr's of 296. (Good plinking load, yes?) I was shooting at my steel plate and noticed the CR was hitting to the right about 2-1/2" to 3". I had six CR lubed boolits left and 5 Felix loads so I put up a target at 50 yd's.
I put four of the Felix boolits into 3/4" and dropped one out to make an inch. They were high so I came down 3 clicks.
I put 5 of the CR boolits into 13/16" and put one high.
I don't pay any attention to some vertical dispersion because it is the sandbag under the butt changing tension. My fault only. I can see it happen when recoil and barrel rise changes. I often wonder what would groups look like if I could control this?
Anyway the CR lubed boolits hit 1-1/2" to the right of the Felix lubed boolits. That seems to be the only difference. I can't complain about how either lube shoots.

jthomastreadwell
03-02-2008, 07:27 PM
hi 44 man, how fast are you pushing that 330 gr boolit? what mould is that?looks similar to my LEE 430/310rf. i like them fat boolits!! are you getting any leading? thomas

bobk
03-02-2008, 08:18 PM
44man,
Were you shooting towards evening? I had the damndest time trying to figure out why a levergun of mine was doing that, years ago. Turned out that the sun shining on one side of the sight made it appear different enough to alter the point of impact after the sun went behind the trees. Gotta say, though, those are some impressive groups! I wish I could shoot half so well.
Bob K

44man
03-02-2008, 09:34 PM
I made the mold and never chronographed it. It's moving out though and doesn't seem to have any drop to speak of at 100 yd's, an inch or so.
I have the 4X Leupold on for play and I was shooting just after noon so the light was right. It is only the sandbags that give me trouble. If I rest any other way I can't hold still enough.
This boolit has done a couple of groups at 1" at 100 yd's but it is tough and hit or miss as with any revolver. I can't do it on demand but beer cans are dead at that distance. Of course I have to drink the beer first! :drinks:
I consider it good for a Ruger as old as mine but my BFR's are more accurate.
Consider this though, I did not clean the gun between lubes and the CR went to the right with the first shot and Felix back to center with it's first shot. Kind of goes against what everyone says about needing to clean or shoot a bunch to equalize things. Seems as if the lube works right off.
All I can say is Glenn makes good lube and Felix knows what he is doing. To make all the other concoctions is a waste of time.
I thank both of them for my accuracy. :Fire:

Bass Ackward
03-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Of course I have to drink the beer first! :drinks:

Well I read you complaining of your screws being loose on another thread. Guess they aren't THAT lose. :grin:

44man
03-03-2008, 08:09 AM
It made me think (Darn funny feeling.) :mrgreen:
If you have a fixed sight gun and it shoots a little to one side, why not try just changing the lube to see what happens?
Yeah Bass some of MY screws are loose! [smilie=1:

wmitty
03-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Astoundingly fine groups!

44man
03-03-2008, 09:55 PM
I made two molds with this cherry and one is a tad smaller then the other. There is a difference in seating pressure. I was using both molds at the same time and the only way I could sort them was by weighing them. I need to put a mark in one mold.
I tried to segregate them as best I could to see if there was a difference and I can't detect anything on the targets. One is .431 and the other is .430. Both shoot the same and I can shoot for a month with only a few specks of lead that wipes out with a tight patch. Even going to a .432 boolit doesn't change groups. I have molds to .434 and use a larger expander but groups don't get better with fatter boolits. .430 shoots as good.
I just cast a bunch of Ranch Dog boolits and lubed some with CR, some with Felix and some with Lar's BAC. I like the texture of this and put it on with my fingers.
I don't have the perfect load with this boolit yet but can see what the lubes do. I have to wait until they get hard before loading them.
I still have to make some lube with the bullplate lube but my precious little bottle is not enough, need to buy some.