PDA

View Full Version : 41Colt HB Heeled boolit mold?

Wayne Smith
02-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Here is a picture of the Lee custom order 41 Colt HP heeled booit. It casts at 219gr ww. I have mailed several to Al for him to measure to see if he would/could cut a similar mold. I started a thread on his website about this. It is in the group buy discussion section.

If anyone reading this is a CAS member and knows how please copy this and paste it on one or more of the CAS websites cause most of the Uberti 41 Colt Lightnings are shot by them. 131319 The NOE website thread can be added to, if Al is willing to do this other shooters might want to jump on the bandwagon. So far I've only shot this with 5.5gr Unique and did not have my Chronograph with me. The grip on the Lightning is not comfortable for me, too small. I was able to shoot this boolit accurately enough to keep them centered on a paper plate at 15yds the first time I fired the gun. I like this boolit.

Harry O
02-18-2015, 09:23 PM
I bought several of these from a little gunshop in downtown Ft. Collins, CO at least 15 years ago and maybe as much as 20 years ago. All but one have since been sold to other 41LC owners. I do not know who designed it. The gunshop owner would not say who, but it wasn't him. Anyway, in shooting it, I found that it did not work very well for black powder shooting. It is made for Lee Liquid Alox. Alox and BP do not get along very well. Correction, Alox and BP hate each other.

It did do pretty good with Bullseye, though. I have other bullets that work better, so I don't use it very much. If it had a conventional lube groove ahead of the heel, it would work better. It would also work a better if there was a little more straight section on the sides of the forward portion of the bullet. The lube grooves on the heel are totally useless, but evidently doesn't hurt the accuracy. I used to have a drawing of this bullet that came in one of the boxes. I will try to find it, scan it, and post it here.

Actually, the best heel-base bullet I own in an Old West (heavy) mould. A modified Rapine mould is the best hollow-base bullet I own. You can see them on my webpage (but the modified Rapine is not shown there): http://harryo.sixshootercommunity.org/

The Lee mould is #7 on the picture about 2/3 of the way down. The Old West mould is #3. I have bullets for 11 different 41LC moulds now, and am waiting for the hollow-base, 41LC mould-buy that was closed recently.

Harry O
02-19-2015, 09:06 AM
I found the drawing and scanned it. I tried to upload it, but the website will not take it. It is in pdf format, which the "manage attachments" says it will take, but the webpage keeps giving me a big question mark whenever I try to upload it.

If you want the drawing, PM me your e-mail address and I will try to attach it to that.