PDA

View Full Version : Types of powders....?

dlbarr
02-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Not sure this belongs here, but needing to know what are ball powders, what are extruded powders, what are any other kind of powder? Still pretty new at the reloading game so the learning curve is steep. Is there a list somewhere that shows what powders are of which type?

For the record, I shoot plenty of BP but my smokeless options are: Unique, 3031, 4198 and a little bit of Trail Boss.

Thanks for any help here.

rodsvet
02-18-2015, 08:06 PM
Pick up Lyman's newest reloading manual.

upnorthwis
02-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Doesn't really matter what type it is as long as it's used correctly.

TNsailorman
02-18-2015, 11:23 PM
Ball powder is just that, powder made that is round like a ball. Extruded powder is extruded thu a plate to form a single string like a spaghetti string and then cut to the desired length and dried. There is flake powder and it formed into a flake/disk. Corditte powder is formed into long chords and cut to a desired length according to usage. I think there was a powder at one time that was formed into a thick flat disk with a hole in the center. The Trail Boss powder from IMR looks more like a doughnut than anything else. There are also coated powders and un-coated powders. Some powders are also coated to control burn rate, or increase burning energy, or in some cases, to reduce burning temperature. But like the man said, you need to get you a good loading manual that will explain powder types, burn rates and their use in different cartridges. Warning--you are about to come down with a disease that only gets worse as time passes and I know of no known cure for it.

maxreloader
02-18-2015, 11:26 PM
Pick up Lyman's newest reloading manual.

THIS!!! Read-up, there are plenty of options for almost every powder out there. Buy/read the older manuals and of course the new ones.

RogerDat
02-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Given identical chemical composition the surface area of each piece of powder will influence how rapidly the powder will burn. More surface area will burn more rapidly, as the surface burns down it changes the remaining surface area of the grain which can influence the rate of burn.

All that is interesting but what really matters is what loading manual says will be the performance of a powder with the bullet you want to load. You don't care why x number of grains with y weight of bullet yields xxx velocity. Might be shape or might be chemistry. Shape can influence how easy a powder might be to measure accurately in one piece of equipment or another. Or how easily it leaks out of the powder measure. That is were it seems to come up the most ease of measure and leaks all over the bench.

dlbarr
02-19-2015, 01:42 AM
..... Shape can influence how easy a powder might be to measure accurately in one piece of equipment or another. Or how easily it leaks out of the powder measure. That is were it seems to come up the most ease of measure and leaks all over the bench.

That is exactly my reasoning for wanting to know about the types of powder. I just bought a LEE Classic Turret Press and now have been advised that sometimes, depending on type of powder, the measure can leak significantly etc etc. So, I appreciate all the info here guys. That helps alot. I have an older Lyman manual & will dig that out and go through it. Thanks to all.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-19-2015, 05:32 PM
If you'll add an RCBS Uniflow powder measure in combination with a Hornady case activated powder drop, you'll be able to cover all the powders you'll run on your Lee Classic Cast. The Uniflow balances well and feels comfortable atop the Lee Classic Cast when you're operating it in auto advance mode.

lpspinner
02-19-2015, 06:26 PM
I think in today's world of scarce supply. The question should be what's available for the caliber I'm loading and work from there. In addition to the Lyman manual, you can get information from most of the major manufactures on their powders.

RogerDat
02-19-2015, 07:22 PM
You might want to start with some potential powders that will work with the weight and caliber of bullet you plan to load. Then from the choices ask specifics of how well it meters and how bad it leaks. Better pick out a few options unless you are lucky enough to be living someplace where a decent selection of powder is available.

I went with the Lee Pro Auto Disk. If you get the auto disk get the Pro model, not much more expense but better built, and powder shut off makes dumping unused powder easier. Really works well for pistol ammo production (my use), or smaller caliber rifle (reportedly). Not much use for larger rifle charges. Above a .308 according to Lee you need a powder dispenser.

Despite being cheap the Lee Perfect Powder measure is reported to be accurate, however folks have also posted instructions on what parts to polish with some rubbing compound to get better seating and less leaks. So you may end up having to "finish" the device yourself. Lee is just now coming out with a cast iron "Classic" powder measure, intended to meter down to 0 grains up to 50 BMG loads. They claim it was designed to not leak with the "newer" powders. Not out yet so all I can say is nice looking stand for it (at extra charge).

In swapping and selling Want To Buy there was some responses to a request for a Uniflow, one of those was available for $50. Slippery thin little bits of powder can leak from any measure BUT they meter more accurately than bigger chunks or flakes.

Me I figure I'm doing good to find powder that I can use with published load data. But here are some sources for powders and their shapes.

PDF with all the Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders listed along with the shape of the grains.
http://www.wwpowder.com/PDF/Hodgdon%20Basic%20Manual.pdf Also includes table of powders and applications, followed by load data.

Alliant site states: Alliant Powder grains are made using an extrusion process and come in cylinder or disc shape.
All are listed along with a wealth of load data in this PDF. http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog/alliantpowder-reloadersguide/2014_Alliant_Powder_Catalog.pdf

Accurate, Western etc. Load Data.
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_1-23-14.pdf

The company web site allows selecting a powder to see its characteristics including grain shape.
http://www.accuratepowder.com/products/rifle/

This older thread discusses several by how well they meter. http://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-373340.html

Like I said you will probably want to narrow the question down by selection of some candidate powders as in "I want to load 38 special with 124 gr. and 156 gr. thinking of using powders foo, bar, and wang doodle how well do they meter and do they work well for these loads?"

Any way hope the links help in your research.

dlbarr
02-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the further input, guys.

So, to be specific, the press came with the Pro Auto Disk and the LEE powder measure/canister. I load for 45/70 & 30-30 only (at the present), my 45/70 practice load uses Unique, the heavier hunting loads use 3031 or 4198. Trail Boss is used for RB plinking. Have loaded the 30-30 only with 3031 ever...I don't shoot that as much. So, I need to buy (or will be more satisfied with) the RCBS/Hornady combination mentioned above by Dave? I ordered the LEE universal charging die from Titan the other day.

lpspinner
02-19-2015, 08:12 PM
I used the Lee Auto Disk before I switched to Blue. Instead of the disk, you should order the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar (http://www.titanreloading.com/powder-handling-equipment/lee-adjustable-charge-bar-)... It makes life a lot easier cause you can make finer adjustments by turning a dial.

RogerDat
02-20-2015, 01:11 PM
I used the Lee Auto Disk before I switched to Blue. Instead of the disk, you should order the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar (http://www.titanreloading.com/powder-handling-equipment/lee-adjustable-charge-bar-)... It makes life a lot easier cause you can make finer adjustments by turning a dial.

I wondered about using the adjustable charge bar, good to hear your experience. How was it about leaking? Not meaning to hijack the OP thread but... might help them too.

dudel
02-20-2015, 01:40 PM
Propellant Profiles is a great book. A compilation of the column by the same name in Handloader magazine. It's got details on current and past propellants with load data as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1879356775/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=3486387927&ref=pd_sl_2kzcijn5s3_e

gwpercle
02-20-2015, 07:42 PM
dlbar,
you're not going to find all the information you seek in one place, usually reloading manuals have a chapter on propellants, one of the best was in the Speer Manual #8 (1970), but so many powders have come and gone since then. The newer manuals seem to give powders little more than a passing reference . Go to the powder manufacturer's sites and print descriptions of powders and their usages. Just do a bit of digging and you will find the answers.
My newest Hornady manual gives two whole pages to powder, the Speer #8 devoted 10 pages with description and photo's of each from Bullseye to H-870, they covered 54 powders in all.
That was my second manual and really helped me learn about powders. Big help in those pre-computer days.
Gary

Gary

oliversasha
02-22-2015, 11:29 PM
Manuals are the way to go for exact charges---punch in DIFFERENT TYPES OF SMOKELESS POWDERS on the net----show images for a visual look at the different shapes

wv109323
02-22-2015, 11:56 PM
Unique -Flake, 3031 and 4198 are extruded or stick powder.
Most of the DuPont / IMR powders are the same chemical composition but vary in length which defines their burn rate.
Stick powders have a reputation that they do not meter well by volume or their weight varies a lot when dropped from a powder measure. Thus DuPont/IMR have some powders they designate as SSC or Super Short Cut to try to gain market share because of improved metering.
Trail Boss has a reputation to occupy a lot of case volume for a given weight. This powder is popular among shooters that use lighter loads in mostly pistols. When a powder occupies more than 50% case volume it nearly eliminates the possibility of getting a double charge case. TB is popular among Cowboy shooting as you are probably aware.
Many powders have properties that attract or defer reloaders to them. Heck there is a book written on just that subject.