PDA

View Full Version : Mixing core seat dies

goblism
02-18-2015, 04:05 PM
I am wondering what the concern is when mixing a core seating die with an unmatched point form die. The reason I am wondering is I have a CH4D 357 die set and was thinking about getting a point form die to be used with rifle calibers with a tangent or secant ogive compared to the standard CH4D. Can I just get a point form die from a different maker and use that with the core seat die from CH4D?
Thanks in advance, hope this isn't a dumb question.

tiger762
02-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Sure, as long as the intermediate diameter out of the core seat die is compatible with the new point form. My CH4D 38cal set swells out the jacket to 0.355, and the final two thousandths are achieved in the point form. So using the CH 1st die with a different manufacturer's point form would require the new point form to not only form the point but also finish swelling out the diameter.

I can't see it hurting anything. Just the point form might feel a *little* different, as far as resistance in the press handle.

BT Sniper
02-18-2015, 07:35 PM
Yep! Should work just fine. Use the CH 38cal core seat then you can use any 38 cal point form die. So long as the seated core and jacket diameter is under final bullet diameter, the core seat die has enough room for the weight bullet you wish to make and you have the necessary base punch to seat the core you will be good to go.

BT

goblism
02-18-2015, 10:05 PM
good to know, i will need to look into getting a point form die in the near future

onomrbil
02-21-2015, 12:14 PM
No problem using different core seaters. I use a Detsch and a B&A depending on whether I want a flat-base or boattail bullet. All go through the Detsch point die with the appropriate base punch with excellent results.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
02-21-2015, 01:42 PM
I'd like to see a pic of those Detsch dies and boat tail bullets they are making. Thanks!