PDA

View Full Version : I just realized that I have given away more guns than I have sold....

southpaw
02-18-2015, 10:41 AM
But then again, once I get them they become part of the family. The ones that have been given away have been to family. For example the marlin 30-30 that my nephew shot his first buck with. Also gave him a mossberg 9200 12ga for Christmas one year. Another was a mossberg 22 to my younger brothers long time girlfriend (might aswell call her his wife at this point). Others were to my younger brother for things that he helped me with (mostly mechanical work on vehicles). All of those were guns that I had bought off of him when he needed money. He would have helped me anyways but it was a way for me to give him back his guns.

I can only think of 3 guns that I have sold and 3 others that I have traded towards or for another gun (Yes, I regret all of them). For some reason I just can't bring myself to sell my guns.

I hope I live long enough to give away whatever guns my kids don't claim. Well, except the one they find me holding in the woods [smilie=s:.

That's the plan anyway... I guess it just means more to me to know that they will appreciate it (and use it) than the money that I could get from it whether it was $100 or $5000.

Anyone else have this problem?

Jerry Jr.

starmac
02-18-2015, 10:58 AM
I have had that problem for years. I never sell a gun, but give several away every year, nearly always to family.

smoked turkey
02-18-2015, 01:59 PM
+1 here. I most always buy without a thought of reselling. I like to think that I only commit after thoughtful deliberation with myself about the item desired. I do admit that I have ended up with a few that I obviously made a mistake in buying. But to the point of the original post I have given a few to my two sons. There have been some that I wish I had kept a little longer. LOL.

Plate plinker
02-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Never sell I just can't do it. For that matter I don't sell much of anything. I might have a problem......

Kent Fowler
02-18-2015, 06:36 PM
I have good news. I'm your long lost cousin. I'll PM you my shipping address.
P. S. I like Colts

shooter93
02-18-2015, 06:53 PM
I have bought and sold quite a few guns over the years. Some I bought to experiment with a certain caliber but most were sold at a profit to work my way up to the higher end guns I always wanted.

Bzcraig
02-19-2015, 01:15 AM
Mid 50's gun lover/shooter has no living family looking for large family with many gun owners. Please call 1-800-gun-nuts for interview.

leftiye
02-19-2015, 07:47 AM
Hey! Bro.!! Want my address??

John Guedry
02-19-2015, 04:16 PM
I couldn't sell one, it would be like selling one of the family.

JB Weld
02-20-2015, 11:39 AM
I have a couple that I would have a hard time parting with, but all the others are kind of like a saving account.

I had a sweet little Ruger Ranch Rifle that I sold to buy my two daughters a nice piano. I think about that rifle sometimes, but it was money well spent. No matter what gun I sell, I still have any memories associated with it. At least for now.....

John Allen
02-20-2015, 11:40 AM
I know what you mean. I had a really nice 20 gauge that I gave to our plumbers son. They hunt our property and the kid shows real interest in hunting.

starmac
02-21-2015, 12:49 AM
This last christmas I gave away a 30/30,30/06,300 win mag 338 win mag and a 12 gauge. It doesn't really count, but I also gave my DIL a friends of the NRA raffle ticket, that happened to turn in to a new 40 cal for her. lol

Huskerguy
02-21-2015, 11:56 AM
I am in the same boat. I just turned 61 and have started giving guns and buying new ones to give to the kids. I have something I haven't shot for a while like a nearly new SR9 and want to give it to my son and have to go buy another to give my daughter. Double trouble but worth it.

Blacksmith
02-21-2015, 12:55 PM
I might be a hoarder because I have never sold a gun, but I have given enough to family to spread the contagion over the next couple of generations. I even bought one gun that I have given away twice, I bought it for my Dad and after he passed and it came back to me I then gave it to my son. I now have to buy two of everything so the grandsons won't fight over who gets what when I pass.

TXGunNut
02-21-2015, 01:09 PM
I hate selling guns as well, have given a few away and never regretted it. For the first time in a long time I have a couple I now consider trade bait and may troll one of them around a local gun show in a little while.

labradigger1
02-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Would you like to adopt a little boy about 42 years old?

southpaw
02-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Sorry guys, not looking to adopt anything breathing right now (guns and stuff are always welcome tho). My grocery bill is high enough as it is. That and I don't have enough room for all my stuff now. I need a garage or a shed.

Be careful getting guns to trade, they have a way of growing on you and then you just can't part with them.

Jerry Jr.

Blacksmith
02-24-2015, 12:04 AM
Guns are for keeping; ammo (especially .22 rim fire) is for trading!:bigsmyl2: