PDA

View Full Version : Front Sights Inserts for Shilhoutte Targets

Klaus
02-18-2015, 09:47 AM
i was removing my barrel sights ( Buckhorn and Penny front) and mount a Vernier tang and a hooded Front sight back on my Roller.

trying different inserts for target work.One of my favorite ist the pinhead but it covers a lot of the targetpicture and serious controlling is difficult

may you can teach me and tell what is your prefered frontsight insert for shilhoutte targets

thx Klaus

upnorthwis
02-18-2015, 11:17 AM
In the summer I like the biggest aperture I can find. My eyes need all the light they can get against a grass background. In winter I am able to use a smaller aperture due to sunlight reflection off the snow.

Klaus
02-18-2015, 11:44 AM
if you use the biggest aperture you found how much "space" around the target is and where the bullet impact occur?
for understanding if i use the smalest pinhead i will get the point of impact at the place the pinhead is on the target
hope i have explained correct

with regards Klaus

Chill Wills
02-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Klaus,
If your goal is accurate shot placement in paper targets (not hunting) the aperture is your best choice. Large or small hole, which one to choose on any given day is your choice but when wanting to put the bullet in the same place each time, you need to reliably line the rifle up the same each time. This is best done with an aperture.

Given a round black bull centered in a round front aperture centered in a round rear eye-cup aperture, your eye will want to naturally get it right. It is just amazing how well this works! With Silhouettes the same is true though they are not as round but they are a dark dot in the circle.

When the world's best target riflemen compete, front aperture sights are always the choice (when that type of match allows, service rifle is an example of little choice).

Keith Andersen
02-18-2015, 01:47 PM
Klaus.

The choice of the front sight inserts is a personal choice. It is something you will have to try.

All of my life I shot using the aperture rear or ladder rear sights with a post or ball/pin front sight. The post for the black paper bull is my #1 choice. The post has to match the diameter of the black bull as close as possible. It is much easier for my eyes to center the post in the rear aperture and hold center on the black bull with just a fine line of white at 6 o-clock below the bull.
For the iron silhouettes you asked about makes the post a little more difficult for holding a 6 o-clock hold because of the back ground and the silhouettes being close to the rail makes it hard to see the sight picture on the silhouette body. This makes the round aperture a lot easier to pick up the animal. But you must see the entire animal, or I do any way, to hold center. If the light is good I will use a cross hair front insert or a four post with the open center as long as the posts don't cover the animals.
This is something you will have to try to see what your eyes will work with. My eyes have changed these recent years that makes me having to go with a darker heavier front insert that does not get to close to the target. I need to see the whole target.

montana_charlie
02-18-2015, 03:17 PM
You didn't mention the brand of the globe front sight you mounted.
But, if it is a Lyman 17, or one of the many Sharps-style globes, you can buy inserts that have apertures shaped like the silhouette targets.
http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/front-sight-insert-cards/

Boz330
02-18-2015, 05:27 PM
I haven't tried one of these but it is on my to do list from Distant Thunder.
http://www.distantthunderbpcr.com/DTPages/DT-Inserts-PriceSheet.htm
A circular aperture works as well.

Bob

upnorthwis
02-18-2015, 11:04 PM
With the aperture front sight, I always have boolit impact in the center. With the large ones I use, sometimes it looks like a lot of "space" around the target but it seems to work. +1 on Keith Anderson answer. It's a personal choice.

Klaus
02-19-2015, 06:42 AM
Hello ,

thx a lot for your advises at present time i use the Post but it is difficult to hold a 6 o Clock on the different Shilhouttes targets
i will try some different inserts next time and report my results
My frontglobe is from Pedersoli
here a Pic 131351

Klaus

kokomokid
02-19-2015, 10:31 AM
I shoot best with aperture of .105 to .115 inch but your eyes will vary. You need to focus on front sight with target being slightly blurry. I use knobloch shooting glasses with changeable diopter lense to make my eye focus on the front sight. Rear sight adjusted for correct light is very important. More scope shooters at Raton silhoutte last year than iron sight????

montana_charlie
02-19-2015, 12:51 PM
My frontglobe is from Pedersoli

Klaus
If you want to use silhouette-shaped apertures, this set will fit your globe sight.
http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/silhouette-shaped-inserts-for-sharps-style-sights/

country gent
02-25-2015, 07:39 PM
I had one in my set that came with my pedersoli front sight that was a fine wire cross hair that worked good on shilouettes and a broader open cross hair that was also effective. Having shot service rifle for years I also have used a heavy post front insert with straight sides. Experiment and see what works for you and your eyes. A true apeture should have 1-2 mins white ring around the bull. Look thru the rer focus on front sight ring of white and let the bull blurr.